PDA

View Full Version : Dick Proennke: Epic outdoorsmen

biggyJ
01-23-2016, 10:03 PM
Finished reading the book: One Mans Wilderness

Then watched the video: Aline in the wilderness

Check out a clip here: http://www.dickproenneke.com/alone_in_the_wilderness.html#video

Decided at 50 years old to build his own cabin by hand at Twin Lakes in Alaska. Used only hand tools, most of which he built himself. Lived mostly off the land. Showed a lot of ingenuity in solving problems of living in the bush. Lived there for 30 years when he was done.

Later in life taught himself how to fly. Crashed, lived by dragging his broken body out of the bush to a road.

Filmed a lot of his exploits in an old school 16mm wind up camera. His love of wildlife and the outdoors is evident in his story telling.

His cabin is still there in Lake Clark National forest. Only reachable by float plane or realllly long hike.

Check him out, you will be impressed, I know I was.

WCTHEMI
01-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Great movie, watch it when I see it's on. Will keep my eyes open, didn't realize he has a book as well.

357xp
01-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Just in the middle of reading that book myself. The man knew what to do with his wood working tools.

morinj
01-23-2016, 11:24 PM
I watched the documentary about him, the cabin he built still stands, and I believe the area is now a national park. I learned a lot from that documentary. Quite amazing

Selkirk
01-24-2016, 12:13 AM
A few of us oldtimers here are very familiar with the 'Dick Proenneke' story.

Thanks for bringing it back again, for the young bucks here.

Mac

Bellero
01-24-2016, 12:21 AM

Is that the sequel to Alice in Wonderland ;) lol

southernman
01-24-2016, 12:31 AM
A good mate, gave me a copy of three films, about the man, and a lot of it, was his footage of wildlife and cabin building, really enjoyed them,
must go get the book one day.

Grizzly Adams
01-24-2016, 08:43 AM
A few of us oldtimers here are very familiar with the 'Dick Proenneke' story.

Thanks for bringing it back again, for the young bucks here.

Mac

Think there is some envy, related to the man, can't do that any more and very few of us have the skills or determination.

Grizz

molly
01-24-2016, 02:52 PM
We recently watched the two films again, and are always so amazed at his skills. We have the book, too. I am sure that lake is not as quiet as when he was there... :) His cabin is an historic site and I just found another cabin on that lake that you can rent for only $400.00./night. U.S. Not including the flight in!

roger
01-24-2016, 03:09 PM
It's on PBS fairly regular. It certainly portrays a romance between mankind and a desire to be self sufficient.
I can only imagine how difficult it would have been for early man in that same environment without tools.
my question is why is it that so many (older) men seek solitude this way and that the lone wolf ideals appeal to them.
Is it the idea that they are tired of being responsible maybe?

JimPS
01-24-2016, 04:35 PM
It's on PBS fairly regular. It certainly portrays a romance between mankind and a desire to be self sufficient.
I can only imagine how difficult it would have been for early man in that same environment without tools.
my question is why is it that so many (older) men seek solitude this way and that the lone wolf ideals appeal to them.

I thought he had some serious health issues, and not wanting to burden his brother he went off to the Alaskan wilderness.

Working hard and playing outdoors reversed his decline and the bad lifestyle from working in a factory - the rest is history.

He was a loner - for sure.

Once you get to be 40 or 50 years old - you realize you are mortal. Everyone is different. Some have a midlife crises but many men become much more spiritual.

On the other hand, many men never grow up and figure it out and just continue with their arseholish ways until they fall over blue dead in the face from a heart attack.

traderal
01-24-2016, 05:34 PM
He did have experience in machining and carpentry. When I was younger I wanted to go off to Alaska myself but now I want to stay close to a hospital. You have to have a certain type of personality to be able to survive mentally without anyone to talk to.

Sooner
01-24-2016, 07:36 PM
I love his story, love watching the bits on PBS when its on. I need to buy the dvds and book. Would love to own some land one day and have a off the grid cabin right smack in the middle of the land that i built from logs, just like his.

mickeyjim
01-24-2016, 10:05 PM
Thanks for posting this man. Enjoyed it

Kurt505
01-24-2016, 10:24 PM
If you look him up on YouTube there are some videos.

skidderman
01-24-2016, 11:12 PM
In addition to filming he kept a journal every day. His fitness and determination later in life is what amazes me. My understanding is that the films were packed away for quite some time until someone realized the value of his recorded life. While he was there he had trouble with his eyes but that didn't slow him down at all. Truly inspirational!!!!!!

TreeGuy
01-25-2016, 01:18 AM

Bitches be crazy bro. :lol:

McLeod
01-25-2016, 12:19 PM

I spend time in the summer deep in the Rockies chasing trout mostly by myself. Not that I don't like company but there are few people interested in hike 20 k or more and spending a few nights in the backcountry. Why I do it has nothing to do with responsibility but has to with being at peace. No crowds ..time to think .. life at the basics...and as those who spend time in the Rockies can tell its therapeutic and almost hypnotic. You feel like this is where you belong. As far as the age thing I agree the reality hits you that you can do these hikes forever and that is sad but also motivating to take care of yourself so you can hike as long as possible.

1shotwade
01-25-2016, 01:58 PM
I spend time in the summer deep in the Rockies chasing trout mostly by myself. Not that I don't like company but there are few people interested in hike 20 k or more and spending a few nights in the backcountry. Why I do it has nothing to do with responsibility but has to with being at peace. No crowds ..time to think .. life at the basics...and as those who spend time in the Rockies can tell its therapeutic and almost hypnotic. You feel like this is where you belong. As far as the age thing I agree the reality hits you that you can do these hikes forever and that is sad but also motivating to take care of yourself so you can hike as long as possible.

My grandfather was like this !!! it was never about responsibility!! He had lived long enough to realize what he needed to be happy!!! life at its true basic needs is all some need!!:thinking-006::thinking-006:

Prairiewolf
03-16-2016, 06:55 AM
Finished reading the book: One Mans Wilderness

Check out a clip here: http://www.dickproenneke.com/alone_in_the_wilderness.html#video

Decided at 50 years old to build his own cabin by hand at Twin Lakes in Alaska. Used only hand tools, most of which he built himself. Lived mostly off the land. Showed a lot of ingenuity in solving problems of living in the bush. Lived there for 30 years when he was done.

Later in life taught himself how to fly. Crashed, lived by dragging his broken body out of the bush to a road.

Filmed a lot of his exploits in an old school 16mm wind up camera. His love of wildlife and the outdoors is evident in his story telling.

His cabin is still there in Lake Clark National forest. Only reachable by float plane or realllly long hike.

Check him out, you will be impressed, I know I was.

I was flipping through channels last night and noticed this documentary was on - what a story, and remarkably good visuals given how old the footage is. My mom bought me that book years ago when I was still in college I think - I've never read it but I think I should.

SHORTMAG
03-16-2016, 07:35 AM
Bitches be crazy bro. :lol:

:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

SHORTMAG
03-16-2016, 07:37 AM
Yeah...it was on PBS again last night. I saw it for the 20th time...:)

It's like "Shooter" and "The Green Mile"...if it's on and I see it...I shutter down and watch it :sHa_shakeshout: