PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Vancouver

redranger15
01-24-2016, 08:05 AM
Won a three night trip in March to see the Jets play, going with my 10 year old son. Any must see and fun things to do? Staying right downtown, got Vancouver Aquarum and Stanley park on our list so far. Any good places to eat, etc etc? Any info would be great , first time to Van for both of us.

bearsnoreson
01-24-2016, 08:35 AM
There is the science center as well. So much better than the one in Calgary.

We wanted to go here as well, but the kids were sick last time we went.
http://www.beatymuseum.ubc.ca/

There is Granville Island as well, but we really didn't enjoy our time there. The kids mall was not worth the time.

bearsnoreson
01-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Inside out, the animal version will still be running at the science centre. It costs extra to get in. I really thought my 6 1/2 would enjoy it, but it gave her the willies.

This is running as well,
http://www.kidsvancouver.com/event/exotic-reptile-show-6

Richmond isn't too much of a drive, might be worth looking at.

There is also Grouse Mountain
https://www.grousemountain.com/skyride

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-24-2016, 09:34 AM
Driving or flying in? If flying and it's just the two of you, rent a car, or at least join up Car2Go. You'll want a vehicle. Car2Go is very handy and free parking everywhere with them. Which Hotel are you at?

A lot of what you do is determined on the weather. You could get 3 days of rain, or it could be the most glorious spring weather you'll ever imagine.

I grew up in Vancouver. Almost 40 years there. Lived downtown, West End and surrounding areas.

As mentioned Stanley Park and Aquarium a definite must. The boy will enjoy it.

Drive around the Seawall and park & walk around at 2nd and 3rd beach and Prospect Point. If it's sunny and warm, you can rent bikes to do this. Even better!
Walk around Coal Harbour area along the water. Check out Hotels like Pacific Rim (https://goo.gl/maps/11cJcoCarRS2), (and all the Lamborghinis and Bentleys parked in front) The Bayshore and where the Olympic torch is. Canada Place area too. (https://goo.gl/maps/93y1NrPh8nH2)
Watch the water planes take off from the Harbour.
Take the water taxi across and explore The Lonsdale Quay Market (https://goo.gl/maps/Au6VEDnEuUE2). Have lunch there.
Take another water taxi tour on the other side of downtown across False Creek. Get off at Granville Island (https://goo.gl/maps/ab6ArGJn4NG2)and have lunch at the food court. Feed the Seaguls, or look for the rats under the piers. (the boy will like that)
They have boat tours that will take you out on the water, look into that.
Great restaurants everywhere...you know what food you like. Robson St is great people watching.
Science World (https://www.scienceworld.ca/)-Yes!
The Planetarium (http://www.spacecentre.ca/) is a lot of fun too. (South side of False Creek.)
Explore Gastown and the many local shops (https://goo.gl/maps/Jf1ChTJzVs32).

You can easily fill up 3 days with just stuff right close to where you're staying. If you want to do a day trip, then yes, Grouse Mountain Gondola and have lunch at the top (although it's not cheap).
Others:

Drive out to Horseshoe Bay or even beyond and head up to Whistler. Fantastic drive along the Sea-to-sky highway.
Richmond....meh just a modern "China Town" with shopping malls.
White Rock and the Pier (https://goo.gl/maps/F8C2WsPeFBB2) is fun. Great seafood restaurants and you'll see a lot of classic hot rods cruising if the day is sunny.
Vancouver Game farm in Aldergrove (http://gvzoo.com/) (although that's a 40 minute drive out of town)

Here are a bunch of photos from a 3 day weekend at downtown Vancouver. We stayed at the Fairmont Pacific Rim. We stayed pretty much the downtown area the whole time. Check 'em out: Vancouver Weekend Day 1 (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151341525011892.1073741825.567226891&type=1&l=6f9830688d)...Day 2 (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151341635236892.1073741826.567226891&type=1&l=9a8e37d988)

Jayhad
01-24-2016, 09:42 AM
March, don't forget your rain coat

bearsnoreson
01-24-2016, 10:04 AM
Fairmont Pacific Rim is amazing. We have stayed there for the last 3 trips.

The gulls at granville, they can be nasty. Didn't know about the rats, we will have to look for them next time.

mooseknuckle
01-24-2016, 10:04 AM
Clgy Dave has it nailed. I stay with a good friend there 3-4 times a year. I love walking around main/west Broadway area and hitting the smaller bar/restaraunts. enjoy.

heybert
01-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Grew up in the lower mainland and March can be hit and miss with rain. I was there last year for the month of March and it was actually pretty good. Mind you, I was at the RCMP training centre in Chilliwack, so it's a bit drier than the lower mainland. Definitely rent a car if you can. Check out Lynn Valley regional park. There are nice hikes and a suspension bridge that's free to cross. Apparently, Did's pizza is back in business! Best per slice pizza in town.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-24-2016, 10:08 AM
Check out Lynn Valley regional park. There are nice hikes and a suspension bridge that's free to cross.

Good one!! Totally forgot about Lynn Canyon. (And I lived blocks from that bridge!!)

Fairmont Pacific Rim is amazing. We have stayed there for the last 3 trips.

Isn't it?!! You must be baller than me though. We went on their first spring opening. I literally stumbled upon it last minute and got a room on the Gold Floor for $299/night. Now I can't get that room for under $700/night. Sometimes it's up to $1,000. Too rich for my blood now.

I think next time we'll do the Bayshore. I grew up two blocks from the Bayshore, on Alberni St. It was home to anyone famous who came to Vancouver back in the 60's and 70's. They've undergone huge upgrades and I was impressed how nice it is. I think it's a little cheaper than Pacific Rim.

waterninja
01-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Lots of good suggestions. I would add going to the Capilano Suspension bridge and also the Trout hatchery not far from there.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-24-2016, 10:27 AM
Lots of good suggestions. I would add going to the Capilano Suspension bridge and also the Trout hatchery not far from there.
Yeah the Cap bridge is a step up from Lynn Canyon...but the OP should be aware that it will cost him $50 to walk across the bridge and more for the parking. If he eats there, that'll be another $50 bucks.

I like Lynn Canyon for the price (completely free). Almost the same thing, without the touristy stuff.

Lynn Canyon:
http://lynncanyon.ca/assets/lynn-canyon-park-suspension-bridge.jpg

Capilano:
http://www.hdwallpapersnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Capilano-Suspension-Bridge-High-Resolution-Wallpapers-1920x1080.jpg

omega50
01-24-2016, 10:38 AM
If your son likes swords and knives he would enjoy Warriors and Wonders.
The Cold Steel Trout and Bird is a great gift knife as he gets a bit older.
My sons bought their knives there when they were 12 ish
Keepsakes of a great trip

http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Cold_Steel/Cold_Steel_20BTJ_Bird_Trout

elkdump
01-24-2016, 10:50 AM
If your lucky, while you are there , weather may turn and get some freezing rain or an INCH of Snow, this will be the be BEST Part of your visit, the streets and highways become a Circus , just like those bump-Em Cars at the country fair, everyone crashes, even buses and sanding trucks, also then the SKY Train fails,
CAOS is normal, don't be afraid

Be SURE to get PICS

Don't forget to check out the drag queens on the west end , you might even get lucky enuf to spot some prominent politicians or Judges picin up queens with his private car , it is quite a common occurrence ,
if you do see prominent notables pickin up queens,

be SURE to get PICS !

Early mornings in the back alleys , you can watch the binners fighting for dibs on bottles , the action is pretty much over by 8 A.M. . They gotta be at the liquor stores by 9 A.M. Cash the empties in for wine,,

Be SURE to get PICS

If TIME prevails and you don't mind a 30 minute Sky Train Ride, head out to SURREY, this is where the REAL ACTION is ! lots of drive by shootings , drug dealers illuminating drug dealers ( good clean family entertainment) and high speed cops and robber car chases etc,etc
OH ! Don't forget to get a close look at some "Surrey Gurls" these like Sasksquatch , are only FOUND in coastal BC !

Be SURE to get PICS

OH, there is an old CAR MUSEUM in Cloverdale (South Surrey)
This migh be a bit boring in comparison to the other Vancouver area Attractions

Take pics if you have to,,,,',,,

Talking moose
01-24-2016, 10:53 AM
For fun walk down Hastings after midnite.

sewerrat
01-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Even hanging out at Granville Island is fun, just dream about having one of those Mega yachts, and checking out the market.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-24-2016, 10:58 AM
When I was 10, one of my transfer spots was Hastings and Main. Living 5 blocks from the PNE, I pretty much lived on the #14 Hastings bus. Entertaining, that's for sure.

Talking moose
01-24-2016, 11:14 AM
When I was 10, one of my transfer spots was Hastings and Main. Living 5 blocks from the PNE, I pretty much lived on the #14 Hastings bus. Entertaining, that's for sure.

And it's probably gotten even crazier since the 60's...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

kylelaw
01-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Yeah the Cap bridge is a step up from Lynn Canyon...but the OP should be aware that it will cost him $50 to walk across the bridge and more for the parking. If he eats there, that'll be another $50 bucks.

I like Lynn Canyon for the price (completely free). Almost the same thing, without the touristy stuff.

Lynn Canyon:
http://lynncanyon.ca/assets/lynn-canyon-park-suspension-bridge.jpg

Capilano:
http://www.hdwallpapersnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Capilano-Suspension-Bridge-High-Resolution-Wallpapers-1920x1080.jpg

Looks like a place to have fun with the kids..

elkdump
01-24-2016, 11:25 AM
And it's probably gotten even crazier since the 60's...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ahhh, Hastings Street, Pigeon Park , The Smilin Budah Strip Club , The Loggers Club, The White Lunch, and a hundred more seedy dungeons of disrepute ,,,

Late at night, police and ambulance sirens, screeching tires,, screaming and swearing from every direction, the streets wet from continuous flushing by city water trucks all night long, the smell of of alcohol, urine and blood, mixed with Carbon monoxide from traffic, the continuous flashes of light from the electric buss cable contacts arcing against each other

You just can't find that kind of " Ambiance " nowadays,,,,,:party0052:

bat119
01-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Take the sky train every where, you can stop anywhere and get back on without paying as long as your going in the same direction. Downtown you can transfer onto a hovercraft and cross over to North Van. Cheap entertainment and you get to see the whole city.

58thecat
01-24-2016, 11:36 AM
Ahhh, Hastings Street, Pigeon Park , The Smilin Budah Strip Club , The Loggers Club, The White Lunch, and a hundred more seedy dungeons of disrepute ,,,

Late at night, police and ambulance sirens, screeching tires,, screaming and swearing from every direction, the streets wet from continuous flushing by city water trucks all night long, the smell of of alcohol, urine and blood, mixed with Carbon monoxide from traffic, the continuous flashes of light from the electric buss cable contacts arcing against each other

wow flashbacks....:)

ETOWNCANUCK
01-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Enjoy the game.

elkdump
01-24-2016, 11:45 AM
wow flashbacks....:)

Myself and 2buddies managed to get into the Smiling Budda when we were about 17 , the bouncers would let you in without legal id if you tipped them $5 bucks,

We just wanted to see the continuous titty show that went on til 2 am,

About 10 pm the band started up and crapp my pants, it was Jimmy Hendrix on stage,

Wow , $3 admission and $5 bribe to see Jimmy Hendrix live, those were the days

ETOWNCANUCK
01-24-2016, 11:45 AM

Hell
Even at noon, on a sunny day.
LOL.

Rio56
01-24-2016, 11:49 AM

noooo...lol..take a cab thru there , if you dare ...:)

elkdump
01-24-2016, 12:07 PM
noooo...lol..take a cab thru there , if you dare ...:)

Bwa hahaha, now days that area is about as mundane as a Convent for the " Holy Sisters of Continuous Boredom "

The 60's thru to 1980, that was intense livin, :fighting0074:

Rio56
01-24-2016, 12:30 PM
Bwa hahaha, now days that area is about as mundane as a Convent for the " Holy Sisters of Continuous Boredom "

The 60's thru to 1980, that was intense livin, :fighting0074:

pretty close to the truth maybe ... was about 79 when 3 of us walked out of a bar some where on main and hastings ... Not sure to this day how we made it out of there being young rednecks and full of **** and vinegar ..
The last 3 times thru there was in a cab , I enjoyed that much more ..Vancouver is I believe , the most beautiful city in Canada and ranks up there near the top in the world ....

To the OP ..have fun and enjoy ..and besides the dollar is Canadian...:)

heybert
01-24-2016, 12:31 PM
Myself and 2buddies managed to get into the Smiling Budda when we were about 17 , the bouncers would let you in without legal id if you tipped them $5 bucks,

We just wanted to see the continuous titty show that went on til 2 am,

About 10 pm the band started up and crapp my pants, it was Jimmy Hendrix on stage,

Wow , $3 admission and $5 bribe to see Jimmy Hendrix live, those were the days

It's the No5 for me and my buddies.....
For good local bands, The Town Pump. Saw the Tragically hip for the first time there in the 80's. Also played pool with Sarah Mclachlan there at one time.

elkdump
01-24-2016, 12:45 PM
pretty close to the truth maybe ... was about 79 when 3 of us walked out of a bar some where on main and hastings ... Not sure to this day how we made it out of there being young rednecks and full of **** and vinegar ..
The last 3 times thru there was in a cab , I enjoyed that much more ..Vancouver is I believe , the most beautiful city in Canada and ranks up there near the top in the world ....

To the OP ..have fun and enjoy ..and besides the dollar is Canadian...:)

Are you sure you weren't walking out of the drunk tank , VPD was right near there , :sHa_shakeshout:

Maybe Bassitas , if you were in the area, that was a huge night club

From The Hip
01-24-2016, 12:49 PM
$50 to walk across the Capilano suspension bridge.....what a total rip off.

FTH

elkdump
01-24-2016, 12:58 PM
$50 to walk across the Capilano suspension bridge.....what a total rip off.

FTH

X2! Stay away from the tourist traps, the Capilano isn't worth $50 , total bullshat pricing,

Stanley park is free, so is Granville Market ,there is a military Armoury museum downtown cheap or free, Chinatown is interesting and some good restaurants,

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-24-2016, 01:06 PM
It's the No5 for me and my buddies.....
For good local bands, The Town Pump. Saw the Tragically hip for the first time there in the 80's. Also played pool with Sarah Mclachlan there at one time.
The No5 and the Cecil were the two top peeler clubs back then. Marble Arch and The Drake were not bad either. Flash One was a little scarier. Took your life in your hands if you hung out at The Cobalt or The American...pretty rough crowd in those places.

Rdamours
01-24-2016, 01:17 PM
The water taxi ride with the scenery and lunch out at Lonsdale Quay or Granville Island will be something he won't forget. Great market area and food everywhere. Anytime you are on or near the water with seeing the tugs and ships is cool.

omega50
01-24-2016, 01:23 PM
The original Elbow Room when it was on Jervis was always good for an abusive breakfast after a night of drinking.

The bar in the Century was a ok neighborhood bar before the reno.

Spent a couple weeks most every summer of my yute thru the late sixties and mid 70's with my uncle who ran a boarding house on Broughton near Robson. Sold his land later for a hotel parking lot.

CanuckShooter
01-24-2016, 01:25 PM

Don't forget Pigeon Park, can't miss that.

Red Bullets
01-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Won a three night trip in March to see the Jets play, going with my 10 year old son. Any must see and fun things to do? Staying right downtown, got Vancouver Aquarum and Stanley park on our list so far. Any good places to eat, etc etc? Any info would be great , first time to Van for both of us.

Aside from the urban jungle of Vancouver.....

If you are renting a car or willing to take transit buses I would suggest going to Fort Langley National Historic Site. Some fun activities for 10 year olds, and sort of an interesting/educational day historically too. The actual site of a fur trade fort. You get to see a little of the countryside outside metro Vancouver too. It is an hour or so drive from Van either way.

Check out this website for activities and calender events. The place is opened every day. A few ways to get there from downtown Van using public transit or local tour buses.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/bc/langley/activ.aspx

JustBen
01-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Take the seabus across to Lonsdale Quay. The market is fun to walk around.

We enjoyed Granville Island. The brewery tour was fun - but not for your kid. Lots of places to see in the market. I like the donut place. Good fish and chips place there too. Halibut!

As for the Aquarium, we did a "behind the scenes" sealion tour that was well wor the extra dollars.

elkdump
01-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Don't forget Pigeon Park, can't miss that.

It's all " civilized now" bright street lights , cobblestone brick throughout, rather than tattered lawn grass and puke, people using disposable syringes , rather than 10 guy gettin a Heroin hit from one stolen hospital syringe , the drunks drinking from plastic wine bottles, getting absolutely NO satisfaction from wacking their drinking buddy over the head with a plastic jug,

Redfrog
01-24-2016, 01:34 PM

Now you brought a tear to my eye. I was one of Buster's Bastards. I worked steady nights towing cars out of the downtown parking lots, crime scenes and nasty places.:) People hated us when we hooked their ride, but loved us when they missed the curve in Stanley park and ended up in the lagoon.

Haven't been there for years and the city has definitely changed. Most of the hot sots have been covered. I also liked the drive out to Steveston to see the fish boats, or north of Horseshoe bay to Porteau for a walk on the beach.

elkdump
01-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Now you brought a tear to my eye. I was one of Buster's Bastards. I worked steady nights towing cars out of the downtown parking lots, crime scenes and nasty places.:) People hated us when we hooked their ride, but loved us when they missed the curve in Stanley park and ended up in the lagoon.

Haven't been there for years and the city has definitely changed. Most of the hot sots have been covered. I also liked the drive out to Steveston to see the fish boats, or north of Horseshoe bay to Porteau for a walk on the beach.

We're you the SOB mofo baxterd that toed my 66 GTO off of Pacific avenue ?

And when I came to get it at the yard I told the turd in the office my wallet was under the seat in my car, " can I go in and get my wallet " ???

When I got to my car I started it up and floored it, thru the chain link fence, and down the street,,

You mofo, you stole my GTO :)

Rio56
01-24-2016, 01:55 PM
We're you the SOB mofo baxterd that toed my 66 GTO off of Pacific avenue ?

And when I came to get it at the yard I told the turd in the office my wallet was under the seat in my car, " can I go in and get my wallet " ???

When I got to my car I started it up and floored it, thru the chain link fence, and down the street,,
You mofo, you stole my GTO :)

ElkDump...it was YOU that we seen getting out of the VPD and dumped in the alley ... .getting flashback's

elkdump
01-24-2016, 02:01 PM
ElkDump...it was YOU that we seen getting out of the VPD and dumped in the alley ... .getting flashback's

Probly huh ? I remember 1 night after hours, about 5AM in an infamous cabaret downtown , I was up $800 bucks in a pool game , the guys didn't wasn't to anti up and I didn't wasn't to walk away from $800 bucks, it got pretty ugly and some pool sticks and tables etc got broken ,

And other stuff

Bigwoodsman
01-24-2016, 02:21 PM
I always enjoyed the fresh seafood on the coast. However the best part of Vancouver was seeing it in the rear view mirror as I headed east or south.

Just my own opinion though.

BW

elkdump
01-24-2016, 02:31 PM
I always enjoyed the fresh seafood on the coast. However the best part of Vancouver was seeing it in the rear view mirror as I headed east or south.

Just my own opinion though.

BW

Two great seafood restaurants I liked to frequent were the 7 Seas Seafood and the Wharf ( SS Essington ) on Beach Avenue ( where Busters stole my GTO ) :angry3:

Redfrog
01-24-2016, 02:33 PM
we're you the sob mofo baxterd that toed my 66 gto off of pacific avenue ?

And when i came to get it at the yard i told the turd in the office my wallet was under the seat in my car, " can i go in and get my wallet " ???

When i got to my car i started it up and floored it, thru the chain link fence, and down the street,,

you mofo, you stole my gto :)

yep!:)

elkdump
01-24-2016, 02:36 PM
yep!:)

It's ok, I'm almost over it :waiting4:

redranger15
01-24-2016, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all the info boy's, flying in on sat night, leaving tues after supper. Rain won't stop us, planning on putting on a lot of miles. Eat me some halibut.
Won this trip from TSN 1290 here in winnipeg, boy's super pumped.

Scott h
01-24-2016, 05:21 PM

It's very easy to get rental bikes on Denman street ( about $25/day). You could get on the Stanely park path and ride to the aquarium then under the Lions gate bridge and around Stanely park over to science world then continue on to Granville island and then finish up for a bite to eat at the Boathouse on Kits beach all without getting off the bike path. A short ride back along bike lanes straight through downtown to return the bikes.
You could get rain or beautiful sunshine in March BUT either way it will be very green with the flowers in full bloom. I just finished a run along the Ambleside seawall ( just across the Lions gate from Stanely park ) and the water was flat calm and tons of small aluminum boats were out trolling for a winter spring. And oh ya, we saw the first crocuses of the year in bloom.
Enjoy your stay :)

Mulehahn
01-24-2016, 06:27 PM
Grew up there, I always preferred the City and night with the lights reflecting on the water, Canada place all lit up etc, so my preference would be to get out of the city for the day. When I had people come to town one day would be go to the North Shore and:
-Breakfast at the Tomahawk Barbeque (not as cool as it used to be but still been around since 1926)
-then up to Lynn Valley to do the suspension bridge
-go a little farther to the Capilano Salmon Hatchery. March should be perfect to see the Steelhead (though won't be many) and the young Chinook. They have an amazing fish ladder, holding ponds, and more. It is a self guided tour (but it used to be that if you contacted them well in advance and played nice you could meet one of the workers for a more in-depth tour).
-Return to the City to see the lay out it at night. Enjoy the lights, the scenery, convention center, Olympic cauldron, shopping on Robson, etc

Another day would be Science World, the Aquarium, go to some of the amazing hotels and people/car watch. The sea bus is always fun. Vancouver is strange that it one of the most expensive cities I have ever been to, but if you look around there is usually a free or really cheap version somewhere.

Redfrog
01-25-2016, 01:47 AM
Try the Fresgo restaurant in the 1100 block of Davie street. It opened in the mid seventies. I was one of the first customers. When they opened they were the first place to sell subs. Small place with a couple tables. Great food.

Over the years they expanded, took the spot the little movie theater had and expanded the menu. The food is still good and reasonably priced.
they opened a second place about 35 years ago in Surrey on King George hwy. In store bakery and same great food.