PDA

View Full Version : Now is actually the time to invest in the oilfield

fluxcore
01-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Big company's buying big company's as investments in the oilfield that seems to happening now, lots of small companies with dept, overhead and not much stashed away will be dissapearing sooner rather then later and I think it's potentionaly a huge opportunity to start something and get established before the next big boom. It will boom again history almost well pretty much guarantees it ! It would be an unheard of anomaly in history if it didn't and the big companies with the resources are banking on it with acquirements.

drake
01-24-2016, 09:07 AM
Warren Buffett is that you???.....

Nope it's his brother Jimmy...

I would not be putting my money is field stock for a while longer....

fenceline
01-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Alberta Oil is dead killed by our own gouverments it's gone and iunwanted
Even thought it has supported canada ! The morons in charge haven't reised what they have done yet .

Selkirk
01-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Warren is buying in now ... http://247wallst.com/investing/2016/01/23/warren-buffett-continues-massive-energy-insider-buying-phillips-66-summit-midstream-lands-end-and-more/

Why shouldn't we?!

Mac

whiteout
01-24-2016, 11:17 AM
If you're comfortable with risk and are relatively young, times like these can be a gold mine. Figure the bottom is coming soon and I plan to get in at the bottom this time around, then turn the gains into more stable plays with decent dividends near the peak.

Domestique
01-24-2016, 11:33 AM
If you're comfortable with risk and are relatively young, times like these can be a gold mine. Figure the bottom is coming soon and I plan to get in at the bottom this time around, then turn the gains into more stable plays with decent dividends near the peak.

Please send me a PM once you know it's the bottom.

Some of the more heavily leveraged names have already had a 50% bounce off of the lows of last week, you may have missed it.

58thecat
01-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Warren Buffett is that you???.....

Nope it's his brother Jimmy...

I would not be putting my money is field stock for a while longer....

pour me something tall and strong,

whiteout
01-24-2016, 11:37 AM
Please send me a PM once you know it's the bottom.

Some of the more heavily leveraged names have already had a 50% bounce off of the lows of last week, you may have missed it.

I don't think we've seen it yet, more of the opinion that what we saw last week with oil and some share prices was a dead cat bounce.

Domestique
01-24-2016, 11:43 AM
I don't think we've seen it yet, more of the opinion that what we saw last week with oil and some share prices was a dead cat bounce.

The bottom line for me (slowly deploying capital as the sell-off strengthens) is it's impossible to call a "bottom" and you will miss the easy money on the bounce, as happened last week.

What I do know for a fact is all NA oil Co's have all-in production costs much higher than $30 (or $14 WCS) Buying the heavily leveraged names is a bit of a loto ticket for the long haul, but the Co's with low debts that can stay lean WILL be winners.

Selkirk
01-24-2016, 11:44 AM

I did similar ^ back in the 80's and cleaned up BIG TIME! :sHa_shakeshout:

But a cautionary note on; "waiting for the bottom". The problem with that is you never really know for sure, when the real ultimate bottom has happened, until after the market begins a solid recovery, and by that time you've missed the bottom.

Instead of trying to guess the bottom, Dollar Cost Averaging is your friend; http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dollarcostaveraging.asp. I would say it's probably time to start 'dollar cost averaging' back into the O&G market ... but make your choices wisely, and be patient!

Mac

kylelaw
01-24-2016, 11:52 AM
I'll rather put my money else were

260 Rem
01-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Alberta Oil is dead killed by our own gouverments it's gone and iunwanted
Even thought it has supported canada ! The morons in charge haven't reised what they have done yet .
Truly amazing how the influence of our governments have slowed Chinese economic growth and flooded the market with OPEC oil. No doubt the decline has a direct link to the time when Rachel and Justin were amassing funds for their campaigns.
Unless big oil can lobby governments to tax alternate energy R & D into oblivion, the outlook for carbon based energy is not great.

whiteout
01-24-2016, 11:54 AM
I did similar ^ back in the 80's and cleaned up BIG TIME! :sHa_shakeshout:

But a cautionary note on; "waiting for the bottom". The problem with that is you never really know for sure, when the real ultimate bottom has happened, until after the market begins a solid recovery, and by that time you've missed the bottom.

Instead of trying to guess the bottom, Dollar Cost Averaging is your friend; http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dollarcostaveraging.asp. I would say it's probably time to start 'dollar cost averaging' back into the O&G market ... but make your choices wisely, and be patient!

Mac

Yeah, until it's past, it's impossible to know what the low is (was). Was going towards more of minimizing the initial loss by getting in too early. But in the long run I'd rather take a hit to start out that miss out on the gains on the way up.

I'm still in my twenties, so I figure I have a bit more wiggle room to make some risky plays.

hal53
01-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Truly amazing how the influence of our governments have slowed Chinese economic growth and flooded the market with OPEC oil. No doubt the decline has a direct link to the time when Rachel and Justin were amassing funds for their campaigns.
Unless big oil can lobby governments to tax alternate energy R & D into oblivion, the outlook for carbon based energy is not great.
You bet, the way or provincial economy is going, the Gov't. will have a cash windfall to invest in alternate energy sources...:thinking-006:. Carbon based energy will be the driver behind an alternate energy source that is viable, what we have now are alternate sources that do not work and cannot function without huge subsidies, with the current private research that's going on the technology will get to a point that the industry will be self sustaining and economical, in the meantime for the next number of years, the hydro carbon industry will play a large role in funding these developments

Domestique
01-24-2016, 12:18 PM

We are a long way from any truth to your highlighted quote.

hal53
01-24-2016, 12:25 PM
We are a long way from any truth to your highlighted quote.
sometimes it's hard to tell with some people if it's facts....or wishful thinking?

260 Rem
01-24-2016, 01:36 PM
You bet, the way or provincial economy is going, the Gov't. will have a cash windfall to invest in alternate energy sources...:thinking-006:. Carbon based energy will be the driver behind an alternate energy source that is viable, what we have now are alternate sources that do not work and cannot function without huge subsidies, with the current private research that's going on the technology will get to a point that the industry will be self sustaining and economical, in the meantime for the next number of years, the hydro carbon industry will play a large role in funding these developments

Yes, an echo of bygone years when taxpayers susdized the development of fossil fuels ... nothing wrong with it then, and nothing wrong with it now as we gear up for the future. Interesting read in the the local paper (California), where utility companies are lobbying to increase tax rates on electricity being fed back into the grid by residential producers using solar panels. No doubt O&G interests will engage in a similar strategy to protect their business interests.

KGB
01-25-2016, 01:44 PM
You can not time the market, it is impossible. You can make an investment and sit and wait for the results. Only time tells you if you are right or wrong. If you feel that we are at the bottom - then go for it, make an investment.

And do yourself a favour - stop listening to all these financial advisers/gurus... Trust me, if they would've known where and when - they would be sitting somewhere warm drinking colada all day long instead of been stuck here giving you advises.

The Elkster
01-25-2016, 01:55 PM
We are burning 95mmbbl/d and demand is still forecast to GROW by 1.2mmbbl/d in 2016. Whilst we lament about China's fortunes they imported a record amount of oil last year. After all the rhetoric look to the numbers. Alt energy may be making strides but in the big picture it ain't doing squat to dent oil demand contrary to the headlines. If it wants to compete it better up its game big time. If and when oil demand starts dropping continuously and not just for brief recessionary snippets then come talk to me.

Stinky Buffalo
01-25-2016, 03:23 PM
pour me something tall and strong,

No, no... Not Jimmy Buffett, it's Warren Buffett... :lol:

79ford
01-25-2016, 04:29 PM
You have to look for 'cheap oil', you have to find the total debt a company has, add the market cap then divide that price by production.

Lots of companies that are cheap on stock price are extremely expensive including the debt and would only be attractive if their stock price was zero and debt traded at 25 cents on the dollar or something.

JustBen
01-25-2016, 06:04 PM
Trying to find the bottom is like trying to catch a knife... With your teeth.

Some people might be able to do it, but for most people it won't be pretty.

Domestique
01-25-2016, 08:04 PM
You have to look for 'cheap oil', you have to find the total debt a company has, add the market cap then divide that price by production.

Lots of companies that are cheap on stock price are extremely expensive including the debt and would only be attractive if their stock price was zero and debt traded at 25 cents on the dollar or something.

Which is about where things are with a number of Co's