PDA

View Full Version : Banff Bison

Flieguy
01-24-2016, 07:51 PM
Anybody know if the reintroduction plan is still on the table?

Pekan
01-24-2016, 08:03 PM
I just looked on the parks canada wbsite, seems to be on track but no date.
our grand kids might be hunting bison in the mountain wmu's. I like the idea of that, however the ranchers may have some opposition to bison and cattle sharing grazing leases. The whiners! Lol.

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-24-2016, 09:34 PM
If they put in several more walk under bridges and fence the whole highway so no one got injured it would be the greatest accomplishment to our national park ever.

It is the least that can be done after helping man live and evolve for hundreds of years

IR_mike
01-24-2016, 09:37 PM
I've always felt we should have more free range bison in the green/crown areas of the province for extra resident hunting opportunity.

Outside of Banff that is.

Pekan
01-25-2016, 06:41 AM
I've always felt we should have more free range bison in the green/crown areas of the province for extra resident hunting opportunity.

Outside of Banff that is.

I agree. But I think the ranchers would really come unglued if that was even suggested by the government. Disease issues.
sure would be a great source for meat.

Grizzly Adams
01-25-2016, 07:20 AM
I agree. But I think the ranchers would really come unglued if that was even suggested by the government. Disease issues.
sure would be a great source for meat.

Yup, I'm still wondering how they plan on getting them to the release site on the Red Deer ? No road access to speak of and Bison don't herd worth a Damn. :confused: Helicoptering would seem to be impractical.

Grizz:

hillbillyreefer
01-25-2016, 07:40 AM
I'd pay big money to be there the first time a herd of 100 buff start running amuck in the townsite. That would be good watching of biblical proportions.

cdmc
01-25-2016, 07:46 AM
I'd pay big money to be there the first time a herd of 100 buff start running amuck in the townsite. That would be good watching of biblical proportions.

Yesir, you nailed it. It's a wild rodeo when they get it into a frenzy.
I have seen feral bison in the Maclean/Bragg creek areas.

I like the rancher bashing already in this thread, must be the cool thing to do these days.

histyle
01-25-2016, 08:11 AM
Why do people think that introducing buffalo into Banff is a good idea? We already mis-manage wildlife in this province, but we think it's a good idea to add to more to that plate? Just so tourists in Banff have something to look at (that is the only reason this idea was even thought up said the biologist in Sundre at a Fish & Game meeting two years ago). Tourists weren't seeing as much wildlife because it was being devoured by an overpopulation of wolves, grizzlies & cougars in that area.

I forget the name of the foundation that was initiating this idea, and funding some of the start up costs, which included moving the animals, and fencing off certain boundaries of Banff park. No answer was given as to how much taxpayers would be on the hook for the initial cost, and they were very coy in answering how the maintenance would be paid for. No real answer was given as to what happens when (not if) these animals get outside of the park.

I came away from that meeting without any warm fuzzy feelings about future hunting opportunities, either.

It is a decidedly convoluted venture to begin with, as Banff is run by the feds in Ottawa, with Banff's surroundings being provincially regulated.

martinnordegg
01-25-2016, 08:17 AM
Yup, I'm still wondering how they plan on getting them to the release site on the Red Deer ? No road access to speak of and Bison don't herd worth a Damn. :confused: Helicoptering would seem to be impractical.

Grizz:

I guess helicoptering isn't impractical at least to Parks Canada. A good friend of mine was asked to put in an hourly quote for one of his Medium's.

martinnordegg
01-25-2016, 08:22 AM
Lots of information if you google "bison belong".

The Eleanor Luxton Historical Society appears to be the main promotors with Harvey Locke.

Pekan
01-25-2016, 05:25 PM
Yesir, you nailed it. It's a wild rodeo when they get it into a frenzy.
I have seen feral bison in the Maclean/Bragg creek areas.

I like the rancher bashing already in this thread, must be the cool thing to do these days.

You think thats rancher bashing? Wow, thin skinned... and I would bet dollars to donuts that once the bison are found east of the park, the cattle producers will be demanding some kind of action be taken by the province.

Grizzly Adams
01-25-2016, 06:14 PM
You think thats rancher bashing? Wow, thin skinned... and I would bet dollars to donuts that once the bison are found east of the park, the cattle producers will be demanding some kind of action be taken by the province.

If I have my way, they won't make it past the Ya Ha Tinda. :evilgrin:

Grizz

Pekan
01-25-2016, 07:34 PM
If I have my way, they won't make it past the Ya Ha Tinda. :evilgrin:

Grizz

Sucks to be that tastey!

Pekan
01-27-2016, 03:25 PM
One more comment on this subject. There was a treaty signed a year ago by Alberta and Montana first nations.
The treatys goals are to
Engage tribes in dialog on bison conservation,
Uniting the political power of tribes and fn's in the northern great plains,
Advancing the international call for the reintroduction of the bison,
reestablishing the spiritual connection to the bison.

This could make for some interesting plans over the next generation or two. Picture driving hwy 1A thru Morley and seeing 50 head of bison on the road. Or past Hobemma, or Gliechen, or Stand off, Brocket, etc.
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Life is never boring.

slickwilly
01-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Aren't the bison going into a pretty remote valley? Like not even that accessible by foot, let alone to be hit by a car.

sjemac
01-27-2016, 08:09 PM
Aren't the bison going into a pretty remote valley? Like not even that accessible by foot, let alone to be hit by a car.

Yeah but they do fornicate and populations grow.

bessiedog
01-27-2016, 08:39 PM
So......... They gonna cut the lock on the Waterton paddock as well....

All I see are new hunting opportunities....
:)

walking buffalo
01-27-2016, 08:41 PM

Yes, and No.

The introduction site will be remote.
Expected and accepted expansion of the herd will have them throughout Banff Park including south of highway 1.

What is disgusting about this plan is the use of fencing to contain the beasts within park boundaries. This will effect all other large wildlife, mostly in a negative way. Fences that will prevent Bison from entering YaHa will also prevent the remaining and threatened migratory elk herd from having an easy passage out of the park.

I like the idea of Bison in the park, but the use of fencing at the boundaries is going to be trouble for the sheep, deer, moose and elk.

You can download the Bison plan here.
Reintroduction Plan for Plains Bison to Banff National Park
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwimqsamysvKAhVL32MKHeLiBb0QFggkMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pc.gc.ca%2Feng%2Fpn-np%2Fab%2Fbanff%2Fplan%2Fgestion-management%2F~%2Fmedia%2Fpn-np%2Fab%2Fbanff%2Fplan%2Fgestion-management%2Fbanff-bison%2Fplan-bison-EN.ashx&usg=AFQjCNGtlEs_qrXzh7a5sFSAut7zfVxR3w

sjd
01-27-2016, 08:41 PM
I don't understand all the negativity and paranoia on this site about this. Been 1000 bison forever in tiny, busy elk island park with virtually no public safety issues.

I also don't understand the need for fencing or Alberta's objection to them leaving the park. Plenty of habitat in the Bighorn and a general bison season would ensure they never overpopulate.

sjemac
01-27-2016, 09:20 PM
I don't understand all the negativity and paranoia on this site about this. Been 1000 bison forever in tiny, busy elk island park with virtually no public safety issues.

I also don't understand the need for fencing or Alberta's objection to them leaving the park. Plenty of habitat in the Bighorn and a general bison season would ensure they never overpopulate.

Elk Island is fenced. Banff ain't. Get the difference? .

IR_mike
01-27-2016, 10:39 PM
Elk Island is fenced. Banff ain't. Get the difference? .

And allowing any "errant" out of park bison to be harvested year round negates needing a fence.

Grizzly Adams
01-28-2016, 07:20 AM
And allowing any "errant" out of park bison to be harvested year round negates needing a fence.

Provided that option remains open. Betting the next push will be to protect the Bison outside the park, seeing as they were present there at some time in the past as well. As for the remoteness of the valley, I've been there. Imagine releasing them in Canmore and claiming they won't make it to Calgary, just another broad river valley.

Grizz

thumper
01-28-2016, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=Pekan;3122146
This could make for some interesting plans over the next generation or two. Picture driving hwy 1A thru Morley and seeing 50 head of bison on the road. Or past Hobemma, or Gliechen, or Stand off, Brocket, etc.
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Life is never boring.[/QUOTE]

The Stoneys at Morley used to have a pretty big herd of bison. I don't know if they still do. I saw one of their big bulls on the loose once, beside the TransCanada Highway. Traffic had come to a standstill watching him.

I'd love to see a sustainable herd back in Banff. If it needed to be culled, (within the park boundaries) Parks would probably invite in First Nations only, the same as they've done with culling elk in the past. Even with modern firearms, that would better replicate the processes of the past.

George Shaw
01-28-2016, 02:47 PM
I'd love to one day shoot me a bison, I hear the fur is hella warm, knowing alberta they'll personally fly every bison in haha.

Drewski Canuck
01-28-2016, 07:10 PM
I am not a bison rancher, but I do know a few who have up to 200. After a couple of generations on the land, they don't tend to wander too far. A fire or wolves can get them moving, or if there is no good grass, but otherwise, not much will move them out of their home range. The Rainbow Zama herd has stayed put over a 100 km range, so I would expect the same for the Banff bison.

I had seen turn of the century pictures of Banff when there were bison. The park actually had a lot fewer trees.

Drewski