PDA

View Full Version : Snow tow ski for front of of a trailer

220 Swift
01-24-2016, 08:16 PM
Anyone use one of these or a variant of this.

I am new to a 1970s trailer single axle and am nervous of driving on ice with a 1/2 ton truck.

I have read that 15 inches is good to go with a 1/2 ton but ...

The plan would be to use a quad and pull it to where it needed to be, I would then walk to the trailer to go fishing from the shore.

EZM
01-24-2016, 08:36 PM
Anyone use one of these or a variant of this.

I am new to a 1970s trailer single axle and am nervous of driving on ice with a 1/2 ton truck.

I have read that 15 inches is good to go with a 1/2 ton but ...

The plan would be to use a quad and pull it to where it needed to be, I would then walk to the trailer to go fishing from the shore.

If you can be assured the 15" of ice is clear and consistent - a half ton should be safe. It's the intermittent patches or thinner areas that are the problems.

Anytime you get on the ice there is a risk. The best advice is to keep your speed under 15 km/hr and you are unlikely to sink your truck. You might get stuck or drop a wheel, but are far less likely to sink the entire rig.

It's the early season guys driving 40km/hr with their Dodge 1 ton diesels on 11"-12" of ice that are gambling. These situations increase the odds exponentially of putting the entire truck through, and in some cases, faster than you can escape the cab.

This is my opinion - and I'm not an expert - but I'm smart enough to listen to those who are experts and educate myself.