PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Vancouver or Victoria

HowSwedeItIs
01-24-2016, 09:57 PM
Hello everybody, life is funny sometimes and it looks like I may get a chance to head west to go to school for a while. I'm a bit of a bumpkin so I don't know much about fishing in BC, but I would definitely like to do some, probably a mix of freshwater and saltwater (from shore most likely). Between Vancouver and Victoria, which is more 'fishable'? I'm thinking of short trips maybe 2 or 3 hours outside the city

Deep
01-25-2016, 08:51 AM
My brother resides in Victoria. We have chartered out of Sooke numerous times now. "Spencers sportfishing" and "T and T fishing Charters are both great. info@tandtfishingcharters.com is Terrys contact. Hope you enjoy the ocean....its always a blast.

CMichaud
01-25-2016, 09:15 AM
If you are around Vancouver/lower mainland, they have stocked lakes for Rainbow. Try Sasamat or Bunzen Lake....and probably check my spelling while you are at it!

The Elkster
01-25-2016, 10:03 AM
If you have a choice of moving to Van or Vic I'd take Vic any day. Much smaller feel, somewhat cheaper and certainly with better fishing opportunities all up and down Van. island. Both fresh and salt water.

In Vic you are never far from the water. In Van you are never far from the water but it may still take you +1hr to get there :rolleye2:

Red Bullets
01-25-2016, 10:30 AM
Victoria. The island also has freshwater bass and trout fishing too.

hippietrekker
01-25-2016, 11:31 AM
There are numerous freshwater fishing spots well within 1 hour drive from Victoria - lot's of places to catch Rainbows, Cutthroats, Browns, and Bass.

For Saltwater there is also an abundance of places close to Victoria that allow shore casting. I fished from East Sooke Park countless times, lots of people catching Salmon, Rock fish, and Lingcod from there - it can get quite windy and you have to be willing to stand close to water's edge, on sharp rocks, with waves coming in, it's a blast though. Lot's of sea lions, harbour seals, and otters (they may just steal you fish too) to watch as well as the occasional orca pod and various whales.

The fishing opportunities in Victoria are amazing. I do not have experiences to pass on from the mainland though.

ivegonefishing
01-25-2016, 03:16 PM
If you are in Vancouver there are plenty of spots to go fishing on bars on the Fraser River, check local fishing books. You can head up to the Chehalis R.,Harrison R. and the Vedder River in the Chilliwack general area. On the North Shore you can fish the Capilano R. and Seymour R.. If you head up into Howe Sound you can find spots from the shore, below the Sea to Sky Highway ( these can be difficult to get down to the water in some areas (steep terrain) but can be quite rewarding in terms of catch. If you go Squamish, try the Squamish R. you can get some great salmon fishing there when the run is on.

Check with local fishing stores and ask guys when you are on the rivers they are usually a wealth of knowledge and generally ready to help guys who are new to the area. I know a lot of spots on Vancouver Island if you are heading there. Just let me know.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

HowSwedeItIs
01-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Thanks all for the help! Sounds like a lot of opportunities in both places, will definitely have to check out wherever I don't end up too.

Thanks again!

fishman
01-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Thanks all for the help! Sounds like a lot of opportunities in both places, will definitely have to check out wherever I don't end up too.

Thanks again!

I live north of Victoria 2 hours. A lot better then Victoria I have way better fishing and choices