PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Police shoot & kill gunman

CaberTosser
01-24-2016, 11:29 PM
There was a warning from CPS a couple of hours ago for residents of the Huntington Hills area to shelter in their basements due to a possible shooting incident, it seems the suspect took the suicide by cop exit option. The CBC seems to think that the CPS are using revolvers these days:thinking-006:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-multiple-shots-fired-huntington-hills-1.3417994

The suspect in a Calgary shooting incident has been shot and killed by police following a lengthy standoff that closed several blocks of a northwest community for hours Sunday evening, police confirmed in a release.

Several police units and a helicopter were involved after police received a report of gunfire at about 4:40 p.m. local time in the northwest section of Huntington Hills.

Police had cautioned residents near the 1000 block of 78th Avenue N.W. to take cover in their basements.

Dozens of officers were dispatched to the scene, Duty Insp. Peter Siegenthaler said at a news conference late Sunday evening.

Calgary police Duty Insp. Peter Siegenthaler said at a news conference late Sunday that it's a miracle no one else was injured in the armed standoff.

The suspect had discharged several rounds from his home, Siegenthaler said.

He said it was a "miracle" that no one else was hurt.

Police said the situation escalated to the point where police discharged a service revolver and the suspect was killed.

The suspect was known to police.

A resident who lives about 150 metres from the subject's house says it was a tense situation.

Kevin Brennan, his wife and their 14-month-old daughter live about 150 metres from where the armed standoff took place. He says he heard five shots. (Meghan Grant/CBC)

"It was scary," Kevin Brennan told CBC News.

"We are not from Canada and we are not used to gun violence, and everywhere we seem to move in Calgary somebody is getting shot or something crazy is going on."

Another resident says it was unsettling.

Ken Cooper has lived in the area about 10 years. He says it's typically a quiet area.

"It's a little too close to home," said Ken Cooper, who has lived in the community for about 10 years.

He says aside from the odd noise complaint, it's a quiet community.

"Police come up the street now and again, but very seldom do we get stuff like this happening,"

Cooper says he heard about half a dozen shots that he believes were from the police.

Brennan says he used to be a police officer in Ireland before moving to Canada.

"I heard five shots and it sounded to be from a pretty small calibre gun from where I was," he said.

He says he was out walking with his wife and 14-month-old daughter when an officer in an unmarked car told him to go home and stay inside in the basement.

"We have lived in four different places in Calgary," Brennan said. "And my wife just said once we leave here we are going home, we are not moving anywhere else [in Calgary]."

blackmamba
01-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Not to far from my place , a little unsettling as this is just one of many instances around here in the past few months .. time to move to the country ..

elkhunter11
01-24-2016, 11:39 PM
Glad that no one else was hurt, and that we don't need to waste the taxpayers money with a trial or housing a convicted criminal. It's incidents like this that make me appreciate living in a small city.

DiabeticKripple
01-24-2016, 11:45 PM
this happens and some people seem to think that our police officers dont need their c8 carbines. this is a perfect example why they need them (even though they killed him with a handgun)

Mulehahn
01-24-2016, 11:51 PM
I am glad no one was hurt but the gunman. The police did their job.

Now this is a serious question and one that I hope is answered and not lead to derail, is the CPS still issued revolvers; from the article "discharged a service revolver"? I am not disputing their effectiveness, I am just surprised to hear this.

CaberTosser
01-25-2016, 12:37 AM
I am glad no one was hurt but the gunman. The police did their job.

Now this is a serious question and one that I hope is answered and not lead to derail, is the CPS still issued revolvers; from the article "discharged a service revolver"? I am not disputing their effectiveness, I am just surprised to hear this.

That's just the CBC using some technically incorrect artistic licence, CPS are issued Glock 22's (.40 S&W)

deerguy
01-25-2016, 04:55 AM
this happens and some people seem to think that our police officers dont need their c8 carbines. this is a perfect example why they need them (even though they killed him with a handgun)

Police need military grade weapons but I don't? No thanks.

Cappy
01-25-2016, 05:59 AM
Lots of "military" grade weapons out there you can have if you want , including C8's

Scotty P.
01-25-2016, 08:20 AM
I'm not sure if this link will work or not but it was pretty intense for a bit there. Glad I didn't take the dog for a walk last night as our usual route goes right past this house.
https://twitter.com/CTVAmanda/status/691459169866506240

grouse_hunter
01-25-2016, 08:43 AM
"We are not from Canada and we are not used to gun violence, and everywhere we seem to move in Calgary somebody is getting shot or something crazy is going on."

Is this CBC fishing for the easiest example for the anti gun lobby to use? I'm flabbergasted that they would try to label Canada as a country with a gun violence problem.

Newellknik
01-25-2016, 08:49 AM
Anywhere in Calgary . Those people from Ireland think Calgary
Is more violent than the Emerald Isle .....really .
Still not as bad as Edmonton ....
Militarized police force ......not with our govts ....left to
Rachel and JT back to a whistle and a stick .

elkhunter11
01-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Anywhere in Calgary . Those people from Ireland think Calgary
Is more violent than the Emerald Isle .....really .
Still not as bad as Edmonton ....
Militarized police force ......not with our govts ....left to
Rachel and JT back to a whistle and a stick .

Look where Ireland falls as compared to Canada.

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

CaberTosser
01-25-2016, 09:29 AM

Ahh but perhaps stabbing and car bombs don't count as 'gun violence' :rolleyes: The guns get out and do that on their own don'tcha know? The violence the Irish have experienced is many orders of magnitude beyond what Canada ever had happen on our soil.

CaberTosser
01-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Even though he was contained to the house, it seems that shooting around indiscriminately is one way to guarantee getting the building stormed. Pretty cut & dried suicide by cop.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/01/24/calgary-police-advise-residents-in-northwest-community-to-take-shelter-after-shots-fired

"After a standoff lasting more than an hour, a shooter indiscriminately opening fire from inside the residence, a police vehicle tore through the back fence of the northwest city home, followed by a wave of tactical officers.

The situation was brought to an end moments later, when an officer shot the suspect dead, according to cops."

histyle
01-25-2016, 11:26 AM
Is this CBC fishing for the easiest example for the anti gun lobby to use? I'm flabbergasted that they would try to label Canada as a country with a gun violence problem.

Yes, and reporting that CPS used a revolver also fits the narrative against semi-autos. The fact that this story went through the reporter, and editors without having that point corrected says a lot.

CaberTosser
01-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Yes, and reporting that CPS used a revolver also fits the narrative against semi-autos. The fact that this story went through the reporter, and editors without having that point corrected says a lot.

I received an email reply from the author noting they'd corrected the revolver error after receiving my correction through the 'report a typo' feature.

Geesh, updated link notes that the suspect was in his 50's and was confined to a wheelchair :thinking-006:

histyle
01-25-2016, 12:28 PM
I received an email reply from the author noting they'd corrected the revolver error after receiving my correction through the 'report a typo' feature.

Geesh, updated link notes that the suspect was in his 50's and was confined to a wheelchair :thinking-006:

I would guarantee the correction won't ever be viewed as much as the original story, though. The revolver viewpoint is now instilled in readers that don't know (or care to know) anything about firearms.

The perp being confined to a wheelchair makes me suspect suicide by cop. Sad for him, and the officers involved.....

Jadham
01-25-2016, 12:50 PM

The link shows the algorithm detailing the index is derived from questions (only) like "do you feel crime is increasing". It doesn't appear to be based on actual violent crime rates. There may be a correlation between perceived crime and the true rate though.