PDA

View Full Version : Brave Explorer....RIP

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-25-2016, 09:20 AM
Wow. I can't imagine what a hike that would have been. Poor guy.

Antarctic adventurer dies mere kilometres from end of solo trek (http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/antarctic-adventurer-dies-mere-kilometres-from-end-of-solo-trek-1.2750491)

British adventurer Henry Worsley died on Sunday, mere kilometres from completing a solo, unsupported trek across the Antarctic landmass.
Worsley was 71 days into his journey when, exhausted and suffering from dehydration, he made an emergency call for help.
In a final dispatch from Antarctica, Worsley announced his decision to end the journey on Friday.
"The 71 days alone on the Antarctic with over 900 statute miles covered and a gradual grinding down of my physical endurance finally took its toll today, and it is with sadness that I report it is journey's end -- so close to my goal," he wrote.
The adventurer was airlifted off the ice on Friday, and transported to hospital in Punta Arenas, Chile, where he underwent surgery for bacterial peritonitis, an infection of the tissue lining the abdomen.
One day after the procedure, however, his family released a statement saying that he had suffered "complete organ failure" and died..... (more (http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/antarctic-adventurer-dies-mere-kilometres-from-end-of-solo-trek-1.2750491))

Sooner
01-25-2016, 09:47 AM
So close. Sad ending. Must be pretty tough mentally and physically to try that solo in that part of the world. Can you imagine the guys who did that before all the sat phones, Gps and back up crew.

Maxwell78
01-25-2016, 10:07 AM
So close. Sad ending. Must be pretty tough mentally and physically to try that solo in that part of the world. Can you imagine the guys who did that before all the sat phones, Gps and back up crew.

There is some really good books out on Ernest Shackleton and R.F Scott's antarctic trips. Amazing what they went through.

Another good one is called "Island of the Lost". A true story of Captain Musgrave and his crew shipwrecked on Auckland Island. A Great survival read.

zcd
01-25-2016, 11:59 AM
There is some really good books out on Ernest Shackleton and R.F Scott's antarctic trips. Amazing what they went through.

Another good one is called "Island of the Lost". A true story of Captain Musgrave and his crew shipwrecked on Auckland Island. A Great survival read.

Do you have a recommendation for a first Shackleton book?

Maxwell78
01-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Do you have a recommendation for a first Shackleton book?

"Endurance" by Alfred Lansing.