PDA

View Full Version : snow cover on buck (south)

the pilot cock
01-25-2016, 04:30 PM
I'm planning on heading to Buck lake this weekend to camp on the ice. Can anyone tell me how much snow cover is on top? I'm going to be an SUV. I haven't had problems anywhere else this year, but Murphy's Law sort of guarantees that the weekend you plan on making it a fishing extravaganza is the one where you get stuck 25 feet from the boat launch and the rest of the weekend is spent trying to get moving again...Any information would be appreciated.

brohymn2
01-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Wasn't much last weekend when k was out there

brohymn2
01-25-2016, 06:51 PM
I*

BlackHeart
01-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Nothing a 4x4 would have problems with.
I'd say the equivalent of 4".
Big ice heave across the north end that looks scary, but it has frozen up pretty good, so just pick your crossing on the flatter spots.....skidoo crossings.

We are planning on being there this comming Saturday.
Going on the north end.

tiger woods
01-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Be careful on that lake, a friend of mine went through the ice on foot last year. It was the beginning of February, so he thought he was good...until he was clawing on the edge of a hole that he created and was looking for a hand up. The truck was parked only about 25 yards away too, but the ice was thicker there (not much, but enough) and he got off the lake safely. We didn't expect that at all, was definitely a weird feeling when we left that day...just thankful that everyone was ok.

Be aware and good luck. Report back on how it went!

Kim473
01-26-2016, 06:00 AM
Be careful on that lake, a friend of mine went through the ice on foot last year. It was the beginning of February, so he thought he was good...until he was clawing on the edge of a hole that he created and was looking for a hand up. The truck was parked only about 25 yards away too, but the ice was thicker there (not much, but enough) and he got off the lake safely. We didn't expect that at all, was definitely a weird feeling when we left that day...just thankful that everyone was ok.

Be aware and good luck. Report back on how it went!

Would be nice if you posted the general location of that spot. Could be a spring and may save someones life !

A week ago the snow was about 6 - 10 " in some spots. Should be no problem for a SUV or any 4X4.

tiger woods
01-26-2016, 08:49 AM
It was on the north end of the lake. I have also heard that the ice can be thin in and around the east bay.

Don't want to see anybody get hurt, so exercise caution out there, People.

Tight lines.

BlackHeart
01-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Was on today.
4" of snow...easy for a 4X4
Ice was 14" most places.

Walleye bite was crazy, for the 1/2 hour before daybreak (7:00-7:30) Could barely get the line down......and in 4.5ft of water. Only one keeper, from the dozen caught. After that nothing other than a few hammer handle jacks.