PDA

View Full Version : Tarpon fishing

BEL
01-25-2016, 06:08 PM
I am looking for input as to where is a great place for tarpon fishing--numbers and size. I have looked at top destinations on the internet but I am more interested what fishers on this site have to say. I am looking for experience, in other words where you have gone? Good success or not? Would like to hear from you. I have over a year to plan. BEL

cribfisher
01-25-2016, 07:05 PM
A friend and I go to marathon every May. The tarpon fishing is some of the best in the world. We usually mix it up with shark fishing and some wreck fishing in the gulf for goliath grouper. Makes for an excellent trip and if the tarpon fishing is slow the sharks and groupers make up for it.

BEL
01-25-2016, 10:25 PM
I assume marathon is in florida. Florida rates pretty high but many say Costa Rica is exceptional. Do you have a lodge you stay at which includes the accommadations and guided trips? BEL

RavYak
01-25-2016, 11:30 PM
I went to a lodge on the Rio San Juan in Nicaragua(right on border of Costa Rica). I jumped 5 in 2.5 days of fishing but only had the 1 on for more then a few jumps and it was probably only on for a minute or two...

Overall I was quite disappointed with the lodge. That area would be tough if you don't speak Spanish, my guide barely spoke any English and it was awkward and they just did the same thing trolling back and forth along the river with a large rapala. Never changed it up even though fishing was extremely slow. If a guy could find a good lodge/guide and gave himself more time to catch one you probably could but they are tough fish to hook and even tougher to land, the nice thing about that area is that they are big.

If you want to have the best chance of landing one you should dish out the money and go with a good guide down at Boca Grand when they run through there. Some of the best tarpon fishing in the world but only for a short time when they pass through.

Wherever you go make sure you do lots of research on whether the tarpon will be around. In the rivers in Nicaragua they have resident tarpon but most along the coasts are only in certain spots for a couple months or so as they pass by. Most lodges will tell you there is fish there all year though and then just say its been slow when you get there...

cribfisher
01-25-2016, 11:50 PM
Marathon is in the central keys. No lodges I know of. We just get a hotel and have a guide we always use. For the 2 of us it normally costs about $2500-2800 a person incl. everything for 4 days fishing, but with the dollar this year is going to be closer to $4000. The peak tarpon season is beginning of April til end of May when they are migrating. Tarpon fishing can be hit and miss which is why we usually spend part of the time fishing sharks and grouper.

curtis_rak
01-26-2016, 01:52 AM
Galveston, TX is another tarpon hotspot from May-August. Galveston beach is called "tarpon alley" by the locals. This area is also loaded with sharks... I will be trying it our for myself in late-May hopefully.

Tarpon/Shark charters in Galveston are cheap, $400-600 USD for 3 people for a half day. That's the going rate for most charter companies there. Getting to Houston is relatively cheap as well ($650 CDN all-in for a direct flight from Edmonton).

There is a list of charter companies on Galveston.com. Most offer tarpon fishing when the season is right.

BEL
01-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Costa rica has more english speaking residents whereas Nic would have practically no one speaking it. Belize is an english speaking nation and I have fished there a few tiimes. Still looking for a Belizean hot spot. As you guys said, research is the key. Interesting bout Tx being a tarpon area. BEL

Jayhad
01-26-2016, 10:16 AM
My picks would be Cuba, the Keys, or Sierra Leone. The biggest Tarpon in the world come off of the west coast of Africa, where they laugh at sub 200lb tarpons.

RavYak
01-26-2016, 10:29 AM
Costa rica has more english speaking residents whereas Nic would have practically no one speaking it. Belize is an english speaking nation and I have fished there a few tiimes. Still looking for a Belizean hot spot. As you guys said, research is the key. Interesting bout Tx being a tarpon area. BEL

Yeah but Costa Rica is also more of a tourist trap and the hard part in all those countries is finding a good guide that is actually going to work hard to put you on the fish.

Like I said if you really want to catch one your best bet is probably some place like Boca Grande Pass. Go with a good guide like Captain Chancey(Chew on this youtube) and he will know the good spots and work hard to put you on the fish. Can do Tarpon and Goliath Grouper down there as well as shark fishing.

It would be expensive in comparison but as they say you get what you pay for and you might be able to get a Tarpon first day with a good guide instead of having to spend a week chasing them elsewhere with worse guides.

BEL
01-26-2016, 10:51 AM
I certainly agree with you on Costa Rica being a tourist trap, getting very expensive also. BEL

binnzer32
01-27-2016, 09:11 AM
Sw Florida 100%. Stay in Cape coral or ft myers or pine island. You got Goliath , tarpon sharks and if course boca grande which has all 3 of those species in it. You have the beaches which produce great tarpon on floats and Hand picked shrimp or lady fish. You also have the bridges to fish at night. If you need more info text me 780 713 1514

FlYiNGuY
01-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Check out Monsta Tarpon in Trinidad, Westjet flys there from Toronto, a few of us fished with them a couple years back, the evening bite was insane.
Easy to shuttle over to Tobego if you want to see some nice beaches or even DIY fishing. Depending on time of year you could also go offshore with hardplay charters as we did as part of a combo trip.
Check out skunkie fishing adventures on Facebook for pics.

MooseRiverTrapper
01-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Last couple days of March and into early April. Florida keys. Isla Mirada area.

Book with huntinator. Or if he's booked ask him about bubbas boat. 18' bay boats. Very personal fishing chucking swim baits and floating crabs. We take our own boat down there and have jumped over 30 fish a day/night. We watch huntinator and bubba pound them as well.