PDA

View Full Version : Netting fish

Supergrit
01-25-2016, 07:21 PM
Wondering if any lakes such as sylvan or gull lake are getting netted yet. Also would like to know who would be best to talk to about trying to stop netting on Pegasus lake ( I know it's a lost cause at least let some one know it's wrong ) Pegasus lake use to be my favriot lake to fish over the last few years it's getting worse all the time I'm afraid nets will wreck what's left of this lake.

MathewsArcher
01-25-2016, 07:28 PM
Commercial netting was closed in Alberta over a year ago. The only nets out now would be first nations subsistence netting.

Supergrit
01-25-2016, 07:37 PM
I know commercial netting is done was wondering if any other popular lakes are getting netted. Maybe some lakes should be off limits like tiny Pegasus lake there is lots of bigger bodies of water. I would think that Pegasus lake would be the smallest lake in province that I know of with white fish and pike.

huntingaddict
01-25-2016, 07:48 PM
286000 recreational fishing licences were sold.in Alberta last.year do some simple.math if 20 percent of the people caught there limit half the time they went out how many fish in the less than 682 fishable lakes did they keep recreational fishing does way more harm than netting ever has from over limiting hitting that honey hole day in and out to garbage and liquor bottles and oil from shifty old boats to say a few my grand parents were commercial netters for 50 Yrs my family's been here for over a 127yrs I personally love to go fishing it's everyone's right you buy a licence we're all equal but when people speak out you should know what your talking about first if your running into poor fishing or it upsets you to much stay home I never freeze anything I catch it's always cooked right away I've never had the desire to fill my freezer for looks it's all up to us to keep our lakes clean and full of fish how bout we raise fishing license to 1000 a year still cheaper than lobster
Haven't posted in awhile had to stir pot tightlines everyone

MathewsArcher
01-25-2016, 07:51 PM
As there is no commercial fishing there is no netting other than by first nations which is out of provincial control. What are you asking, since there is no netting taking place in Alberta?

Supergrit
01-25-2016, 08:09 PM
Hunting addict this is a clean lake no gas motors very nice and very small just wondering if some lakes can be tooken off the native hit list. Wondering if native nets are at other popular recreational lakes such as gull or lac state Anne is all of are they leavjng it alone. Thanks for the rant tiger you are agressive one aren't you.

Supergrit
01-25-2016, 08:12 PM
I just want my kids to have same opportunity I had growing up here wondering who I could talk to if there is anything to sign or some petition to stop it. At least let the voice be heard from some people that enjoy the lake.

EZM
01-25-2016, 11:23 PM
This thread is really had to read .......... I'm getting a headache trying to figure out where to take a breath and what we are talking/asking about.

The bottom line is commercial netting does not exist in Alberta anymore.

Sustenance netting will continue as it always has. A petition to do what? change the indian act? I don't think that's remotely plausible (or ethical for that matter). These canadians have a right to feed themselves.

I find it hard to believe sustenance netter would target Pegasus, a 6-8 acre pond, and try and catch all of the 3-4 dozen whitefish in there. It makes zero sense to me.

Anyways ....... I took the bait ........... you are right ........ no point in discussing this.

Supergrit
01-26-2016, 03:29 AM
Hey ezm they are netting Pegasus lake go see for yourself why would I lie. My question to other outdoorsmen is native netting targeting other popular sport fishing lakes like gull lake for example. They must not I never hear people talk about it. Being that Pegasus lake is a little pond it can't take netting pressure. im not trying to stop native netting I'm trying to see if I can do something about one tiny lake.

Birchcraft
01-26-2016, 09:32 AM
I just want my kids to have same opportunity I had growing up here wondering who I could talk to if there is anything to sign or some petition to stop it. At least let the voice be heard from some people that enjoy the lake.

Netting has existed much longer in this province than angling and has ceased just a year ago. If you had good angling experiences when you were younger why would netting today impact your children?

Newellknik
01-26-2016, 09:39 AM
Find out if these are natives , from where , and where
The catch is going . I know for a fact that the people
That were buying the netted catch ,are still open to
buying wild fish ....no questions asked .

Get The fish cops involved today . Don't be surprised if
It's locals poaching . Did you confront them .

Just so you know ,WE ...the AO brotherhood beat the netting
horse to death on here. I sent 40 emails to the ESRD ,SRD ,
The minister , the biologists . It's likely the one good thing
PC govt left us . I would not be surprised that the Commercial
Netters are on the Dippers Ass to reinstate the fishery .
And on it goes !

wind drift
01-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Is this the Pegasus Lake in Carson-Pegasus Provincial Park?

DonTreadOnMe
01-26-2016, 05:06 PM
Hey ezm they are netting Pegasus lake go see for yourself why would I lie. My question to other outdoorsmen is native netting targeting other popular sport fishing lakes like gull lake for example. They must not I never hear people talk about it. Being that Pegasus lake is a little pond it can't take netting pressure. im not trying to stop native netting I'm trying to see if I can do something about one tiny lake.

They net Ste.Anne all the time.

ROA
01-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Saw nets out on iosigun and smoke lake this year as well.

Landlocked_Newfie
01-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Netting has existed much longer in this province than angling and has ceased just a year ago. If you had good angling experiences when you were younger why would netting today impact your children?
The angling population is much bigger now than was then. Plus all the new fish finding tools and toys help locate fish much easier. Big difference from when we were younger. Just my 2 cents..

fish99
01-26-2016, 06:31 PM
i hope no one is buying the netted fish , as this was done in years past. the natives would sell fish door to door in the rural areas

cujo1969
01-26-2016, 07:07 PM
heres info on native fishing
http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fishing-hunting-trapping/documents/SummaryOfDomesticFishingRegsInAlberta-Feb11-2010.pdf

reddeerguy2015
01-26-2016, 07:42 PM
286000 recreational fishing licences were sold.in Alberta last.year do some simple.math if 20 percent of the people caught there limit half the time they went out how many fish in the less than 682 fishable lakes did they keep recreational fishing does way more harm than netting ever has from over limiting hitting that honey hole day in and out to garbage and liquor bottles and oil from shifty old boats to say a few my grand parents were commercial netters for 50 Yrs my family's been here for over a 127yrs I personally love to go fishing it's everyone's right you buy a licence we're all equal but when people speak out you should know what your talking about first if your running into poor fishing or it upsets you to much stay home I never freeze anything I catch it's always cooked right away I've never had the desire to fill my freezer for looks it's all up to us to keep our lakes clean and full of fish how bout we raise fishing license to 1000 a year still cheaper than lobster
Haven't posted in awhile had to stir pot tightlines everyone

Easily the single longest sentence on this forum.

Supergrit
01-26-2016, 10:19 PM
Never caught that one that is a long sentence. I think Pegasus is just to small of a lake to sustain any kind of netting. At least now I got reports of nets on other lakes such as lac Ste Anne. Smoke and iosegen lake as well hmm to bad. No sense stopping commercial netting if the only thing it done was fatten up the fish for native nets. Hope fully they don't do to much I was looking forward to smoke lake getting a healthy population of white fish again.

Supergrit
01-26-2016, 10:24 PM
Oh and to the one fellow who asked it is in the provincial park.

wind drift
01-26-2016, 10:45 PM
If it's in the provincial park, I'd be surprised if it's on the list of lakes with Indian Domestic Fishing licences issued. Yes, it's true...netting by First Nations is licenced. They don't just set nets wherever. A call to Parks would be a good place to start.

Supergrit
01-26-2016, 10:54 PM
Yeh thx I'll give that a try