PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Police shoot Quadriplegic Sniper

Newellknik
01-26-2016, 08:40 AM
How's that for a headline ...ouch ....after listening to
the shooters story on CBC this AM .

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/david-mcqueen-calgary-huntington-hills-shooter-killed-1.3418843

This is wrong on so many levels , that discussing them , boggles my mind .

Okotokian
01-26-2016, 08:44 AM
Good thing he went postal at home. Sounds like he could have just as easily went into one of the organizations he was "frustrated with" and started shooting.

Newellknik
01-26-2016, 09:28 AM
That not every citizen disgruntled with any or all levels of Government
Is going to start shooting up their neighbourhoods .

I apologise to the content supervisor on here for the brief comment
With the link . I know that we want substance not sensationalism.
I am sure no member of Calgarys finest is happy about this situation .
But what choice did they have . The people who should be ashamed
are the social agencies in Calgary looking after this mans needs .
Considering that Calgary has the worlds greatest mayor , he is doing
A poor job of holding that place together . There are more people
Falling through the humongous cracks everyday . No word from
Naheed , but I'm sure it will be a beauty . Urban horror story .
Just to note , second real nice guy to go postal in a few days .

I am sure the responses will be full of empathy and compassion.
As they always are ......you just have to pray to your god that
No one you love or yourself suffer from a mental illness .
Don't hurt yourself falling off that Horse !

Donkey Oatey
01-26-2016, 09:34 AM
You can't help people that don't want to be helped, or don't see the help that is there.

This is a person that can't take responsibility for their own actions, diving in to a pond and breaking their neck then suing the City. How can you help someone that can't take responsibility?

The nurse said that many home care workers wouldn't go there because they were afraid of the dog. Paranoid ranting about political neighbors and wire taps.

Gone cuckoo and ended up suicide by cop.

I feel for those officers that were put in that position.

Bergerboy
01-26-2016, 09:40 AM
"McQueen's Facebook page contains numerous, lengthy posts complaining about his perceived mistreatment at the hands of the federal and provincial governments, and the healthcare system.

He describes how he suffered a spinal injury after diving into Calgary's Sikome Lake in 1994, not realizing how shallow the man-made body of water actually is, and subsequent, unsuccessful attempts to sue the Alberta government over his injury."

According to Sikome lakes wikipedia page, the lake has a maximum depth of 7 feet, and he feels the Alberta government should be on the hook. Not the most intellegent fellow before the accident, he should have made the Darwin awards.

CaberTosser
01-26-2016, 10:07 AM
The fellow has been alive since being paralyzed in 1994 and would still be to this day had he not forced such a conclusion to it. He had a house, he had home care who came to care for his needs despite his aggressive dog and crazed rants. It sounds to me like the system was working to support him just fine if he had a house and his basic needs provided despite being pretty much unemployable. The system is designed to support peoples basic needs, not to make ones life fabulous or even bearable, those details fall upon the person living out their individual lives.

Ever pick up on the fact that your own outlook tends to determine how things will go for you? This guy was his own worst enemy, how could things have improved if he wasn't playing the lead role? If you approach things like a miserable curmudgeon you get miserable curmudgeon outcome.

Kind of cowardly if you ask me that he forced someone else to take his life instead of doing it himself. That seems to be a theme.

GeoTrekr
01-26-2016, 10:53 AM
It was his own actions that lead to his disability. The consequences were steep, but blame fell squarely upon his own shoulders, and it appears he wasn't able to accept that.

It is unfortunate that he chose for things to go down the way they did. I'm just glad no one else was hurt, like the bus driver, passengers, neighbours or police. Sounds like he was just shooting willy-nilly out his house while the cops were trying to establish a perimeter, so the end result was somewhat predictable.

December 11, 2000 Reasons for Judgment found here:

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2001/2001abqb220/2001abqb220.html?autocompleteStr=mcqueen&autocompletePos=1

Highlights:

[1] On June 25, 1994 David McQueen (“McQueen”) attended Sikome Lake Provincial Park in the company of his three children and some friends. They entered the park area from the northeast end of the Lake about 11:00 o’clock on a sunny Saturday morning. McQueen waded into the lake a distance of 10-15 feet towards a platform he had noticed, carrying his two year old and three year old sons. On reaching the platform he put each child on the edge of the platform and stepped up to the top. He looked out to the expanse of the lake opposite the shore and dove in head first, breaking his neck. He was rendered paraplegic as a result of his injuries. This trial was limited to an issue of liability.

[8] McQueen was 32 years old, 6' 2" tall and weighed 200-210 lbs. He had previously attended Sikome Lake with his children approximately eight to ten times but on those occasions had entered from the west side and stayed on the southwest shore of the lake.

[14] McQueen also testified to having consumed about 20 ounces of rum and possibly one beer the previous night during a period from 9:30 p.m. June 24th to 4:30 a.m. on June 25th when he went to bed. He advised he was up with his young boys at 7:00 a.m. the following morning and they decided to go to Lake Sikome at about 9:00 a.m. He testified to having had nothing more to drink that morning. McQueen testified he only drank on weekends when the children were in bed and that he had had this type of drinking pattern for most of his adult life.

[15] McQueen testified to having told the lifeguard assisting in his rescue that he “drank a mickey last night”. At trial he acknowledged that it had been more like a 26 ounce bottle. He did not know why he said a “mickey” to the guard. Upon his admission to hospital a sample of his blood was taken at 12:16 p.m. and an analysis of that sample indicated a blood alcohol content equivalent to at least .148 mg/100 ml.

NEGLIGENCE OF McQUEEN

[73] The evidence adduced at trial clearly establishes that McQueen was negligent for his own safety. His counsel has acknowledged this at trial. The authorities do establish that McQueen, as a diver, was bound to determine that there was sufficient depth of water to safely dive before undertaking his dive. The authorities described the practice of diving into unknown waters as foolhardy. Diving into waters known to be shallow is also foolhardy, Unger v. Ottawa (1968), O.R. (2d) 263 at page 268.

[74] I find this present case to be very analogous to the facts summarized in the Supreme Court of Canada decision in Vancouver-Fraser Park v. Olmstead 1974 CanLII 196 (SCC) (http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/scc/doc/1974/1974canlii196/1974canlii196.html), [1975], 2 S.C.R. 831 at 842 where the court states:

The true cause of the accident on the evidence accepted by the jury is clearly the sole negligence of plaintiff who took a running dive into shallow water. The evidence discloses that when plaintiff’s companions went to his rescue after the accident, the water only came above their knees which shows very clearly that when plaintiff dove in after his run into the water, the depth, to plaintiff’s knowledge, was two feet at best. This finding, read with the other finding that one does not dive into unknown waters, makes it amply clear that the sole determining cause of the accident was plaintiff’s own fault.

CONCLUSION

[75] Accordingly, the action commenced by Mr. McQueen must be dismissed. Although this Court is very sympathetic to Mr. McQueen in relation to the tragedy that his befallen him and his family, there is no basis at law upon which this Court can attribute any responsibility to the Defendant for that loss.

CaberTosser
01-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Geo's link notes the fellow was a father, I wonder what happened to his family unit following his paralysis, it didn't seem to reference the kids mother. I wonder how often he saw them, that would be a massive influence on his well-being.

I guess seeing the photo of the guy in a wheelchair leads one to believe he wouldn't have kids when one doesn't stop to consider that he wasn't always paralyzed.

Newellknik
01-26-2016, 12:30 PM
I'd like to think that what you stated, is how most in our old society
Would look at this situation . But I am afraid that it will looked
At in quite a few different ways by a good segment of today's
Albertans .
The rule in place today is that.....the rights of an individual
Far override the rights of society at large .Facts be damned .
Albertans and politicians in general are always bragging about
The finest health care in the world . A crock .
It will come out that the shooter should have been placed
under intense care in an institution capable of handling his problems.
We have such facilities and they are the best ,ask any mental
Health care provider .
You won't be able to make out the queens face on the Buck that
Is going to be passed around on this one .
The second best country in the world to live in , has a cure for mental
Health issues we exterminate the patient .
This whole incident will be viewed in the current environment
As a total fail .

Okotokian
01-26-2016, 02:28 PM
The people who should be ashamed
are the social agencies in Calgary looking after this mans needs .

Why? Just because someone bitches about something doesn't mean the bitch is justified.

bobtodrick
01-26-2016, 02:36 PM
This whole incident will be viewed in the current environment
As a total fail .

Not necessarily.
Anyone who has worked in the mental health field will tell you there are many out there whose disease manifests itself in an absolute denial of any help offered to them.
Just as there is a percentage of homeless people who are so out of choice...they don't want the help offered.
Till we no more about this fellows circumstance and past it is a little early to be blaming anyone.
But if it makes you feel better to blame someone...so be it.

Grizzly Adams
01-26-2016, 03:44 PM
Good thing he went postal at home. Sounds like he could have just as easily went into one of the organizations he was "frustrated with" and started shooting.

Which begs the question for gun control advocates. How does a Quadriplegic get a handgun ? :confused:

Grizz

Okotokian
01-26-2016, 03:48 PM
Which begs the question for gun control advocates. How does a Quadriplegic get a handgun ? :confused:

Grizz

Why can't a quad have a handgun? Being a quad doesn't him a risk. And reports said he had some use of his arms... Heck, maybe he likes to target shoot and pull the trigger with his tongue. ;)

Now what PERHAPS should have gotten his license pulled (IMHO, if he had one) was his mental health status, delusions about the police, etc. The guy was clearly troubled.

Scott N
01-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Suicide by cop is my guess.

Savage addict
01-26-2016, 06:34 PM
Why can't a quad have a handgun? Being a quad doesn't him a risk. And reports said he had some use of his arms... Heck, maybe he likes to target shoot and pull the trigger with his tongue. ;)

Now what PERHAPS should have gotten his license pulled (IMHO, if he had one) was his mental health status, delusions about the police, etc. The guy was clearly troubled.

There has to be a known inherent suicide risk to being quadriplegic. There's no way this guy legally obtained his gun. I'd bet money he didn't have a PAL either. Common sense to me is that if a guy needs someone to wipe his arse he probably doesn't enjoy life very much.

bobtodrick
01-26-2016, 07:13 PM
There has to be a known inherent suicide risk to being quadriplegic. There's no way this guy legally obtained his gun. I'd bet money he didn't have a PAL either. Common sense to me is that if a guy needs someone to wipe his arse he probably doesn't enjoy life very much.

Considering there is a quadriplegic category (the use a supported gun) in the Paralympics...and that there are more than a few paraplegics who contribute to society (I take it you've heard of Stephen Hawking), I guess you actually don't have that much 'common sense'.

Foot Stomper
01-26-2016, 08:05 PM
How's that for a headline ...ouch ....after listening to
the shooters story on CBC this AM .

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/david-mcqueen-calgary-huntington-hills-shooter-killed-1.3418843

This is wrong on so many levels , that discussing them , boggles my mind .

That's why it's so very wrong to rely on the CBC as an unbiased/reliable news source!!

Jadham
01-26-2016, 10:30 PM
There is an interview article with his son in the Calgary Herald today, a sad story from so many angles.

Okotokian
01-27-2016, 10:27 AM

Oh come on. I'd like to see that in writing... that being in a wheelchair or being a quad disqualifies you from being granted a firearms license. I suspect that would be reversed in court so fast it would make your head spin. Men have a much higher rate of committing murder than women. How can we still get guns? LOL

coreya3212
01-27-2016, 01:21 PM

Classless.

pottymouth
01-27-2016, 04:52 PM
Geo's link notes the fellow was a father, I wonder what happened to his family unit following his paralysis, it didn't seem to reference the kids mother. I wonder how often he saw them, that would be a massive influence on his well-being.

I guess seeing the photo of the guy in a wheelchair leads one to believe he wouldn't have kids when one doesn't stop to consider that he wasn't always paralyzed.

He raised his 2 boys on his own, with his disability, after his wife left him, while the kids were young.

He definitely had control of his one arm for sure from what I remember.

waterninja
01-27-2016, 05:53 PM
Pretty ignorant comment.

Jadham
01-27-2016, 07:21 PM
Kelly Hrudey had some nice things to say about the man. Must say my respect for Mr Hrudey went up a few notches.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/former-nhl-star-grieving-friend-killed-by-police-encourages-mental-health-discussion

catnthehat
01-27-2016, 07:26 PM

My father coached two different wheelchair bound shooters, neither of the were suicidal.
Ever watch a Paralympic rifle or pistol match?
Didn't think so..........
Cat

ETOWNCANUCK
01-27-2016, 08:05 PM
The fellow has been alive since being paralyzed in 1994 and would still be to this day had he not forced such a conclusion to it. He had a house, he had home care who came to care for his needs despite his aggressive dog and crazed rants. It sounds to me like the system was working to support him just fine if he had a house and his basic needs provided despite being pretty much unemployable. The system is designed to support peoples basic needs, not to make ones life fabulous or even bearable, those details fall upon the person living out their individual lives.

Ever pick up on the fact that your own outlook tends to determine how things will go for you? This guy was his own worst enemy, how could things have improved if he wasn't playing the lead role? If you approach things like a miserable curmudgeon you get miserable curmudgeon outcome.

Kind of cowardly if you ask me that he forced someone else to take his life instead of doing it himself. That seems to be a theme.

I agree

crosman177
01-27-2016, 08:41 PM

Very rude.

Here is a prime example from the Canadian firearms program disproving your statement. They shoot and are given licenses

At 55 seconds http://youtu.be/0L0n1fXPbXc

This was very memorable when I took my pal course. Even at gun shows I see them all the time and am willing to assist

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Common sense to me is that if a guy needs someone to wipe his arse he probably doesn't enjoy life very much.
OMG....this has to be far and above, THE most ignorant and rude comment I've ever read on here!! Good God. :snapoutofit:

It would do you well to work with some disabled people for awhile. I work with the Special Olympics Organization and I know hundreds of people that would make you eat your words and have more class than you!

Pathetic!!

sjemac
01-27-2016, 09:37 PM

In contention for AO douche comment of the year.

Unregistered user
01-27-2016, 10:11 PM
Any report on what kind of gun was used? Usually msm dwells heavy on that if it fits an agenda.

Scott N
01-28-2016, 05:27 AM
Any report on what kind of gun was used? Usually msm dwells heavy on that if it fits an agenda.

"handgun" was the only description I heard on the local Global station.

58thecat
01-28-2016, 05:29 AM

Very true.