PDA

View Full Version : Cure for Diabetes 1??

rugatika
01-26-2016, 09:30 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3415843/Is-CURE-Type-1-diabetes-horizon-Scientists-imp.html

A cure for Type 1 diabetes is a step closer after scientists managed to halt the condition for at least six months thanks to insulin-producing cells.

Experts from US hospitals and institutions including Harvard University managed to transplant cells into mice, which immediately began producing insulin.

The team was also able to show they could prevent the cells being rendered useless by the body's own immune system, which was effectively 'switched off' thanks to scientific work.

mooseknuckle
01-26-2016, 10:05 AM
Cool stuff. They have been playing with this stuff for along time. I've signed up for my "guinea pig" services as the research lab at the U of A. For transplant of isolet cells. Don't know if I'll see a cure in my lifetime..... but interesting stuff indeed.

Jadham
01-26-2016, 10:33 AM
One can only hope it will pan out in the end.

I know a few with it.

alacringa
01-26-2016, 04:47 PM
One can always hope. It'll be 31 years for me, next month.

dodger
01-26-2016, 06:06 PM
Wasn't there a couple of researchers at the U of C that made the news stating they found a cure? I remember them mentioning they already incorporated a company to sell the cure? This goes back 5+ years.

If I'm wrong sorry.

Dodger.

Drewski Canuck
01-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Actually the islet transplant team is based out of the Miscericordia Hospital in Edmonton.

The procedure is called the "Edmonton Protocol" and has been discussed by President Bush if I remember right.

Trouble with the surgery implant was that it worked for some very well, and some the islets of Langerhan?? died off in others within a year.

But still great progress!!!

Drewski

dodger
01-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Actually the islet transplant team is based out of the Miscericordia Hospital in Edmonton.

The procedure is called the "Edmonton Protocol" and has been discussed by President Bush if I remember right.

Trouble with the surgery implant was that it worked for some very well, and some the islets of Langerhan?? died off in others within a year.

Drewski

Thanks.
Dodger.

Grizzly Adams
01-28-2016, 04:54 PM

Drewski

Think it's the same people working on this. Progress comes in small steps in cases like this.

Grizz

Drewski Canuck
01-28-2016, 07:05 PM
Lets hope and pray for a solid break through. If the pancreas can get going again, it would mean huge quality of life for elderly diabetics who suffer loss of eye sight, loss of sensation in the hands and feet, reduced circulation, etc.

This was my mother's experience with diabetes in her elderly years. Amputated toes make walking real hard.

Drewski