PDA

View Full Version : Warrant out for my arrest

Grizzly Adams
01-26-2016, 03:42 PM
At least according to the recorded message on my answering machine. They were decent enough to wish me a nice day :lol: Surprising part is people actually fall for these scams

Grizz

Okotokian
01-26-2016, 03:45 PM
There must be a significant number of people in our society who think that having a warrant out for their arrest is a likely or expected scenario... :thinking-006:

Drewski Canuck
01-26-2016, 03:50 PM
If it is Municipal police or RCMP and it is something like an unpaid ticket, then you WANT to go down and deal with it AT THE POLICE STATION. Bring your Credit Card. Police are kind to those who come in on their own and do not challenge release as much when the person comes in. JUST DON'T SAY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU CALL A LAWYER!!!!

I get calls like this every month asking me why they are in jail and can't get out. Its called DEFAULT TIME. You pay or you stay. All it takes is burned out head light and then a warrant comes up, and you get the pleasure of being in until the unpaid fine has been served.

If it is a number to call back with a credit card to clear the warrant, then its a scam.

Drewski

big zeke
01-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Do you have to send money to a Nigerian prince in order to get out?...do they take Visa?

You might laugh this off (a you probably should) but there are victims that genuinely believe this stuff (perhaps some older folks) and I feel for them if they get sucked in.

Scott N
01-26-2016, 03:57 PM
CRA scam? I've received that message multiple times too. The "have a nice day" at the end is too funny.

pseelk
01-26-2016, 04:09 PM
I too have recieved a similar message onlly he told me if I ignored the call untold legal consequences would fall upon me and he would be unable to help me.He also told me to have a nice day.Which I did and I also ignored his cal and did not return it.
I did notify the RCMP and they said it is likely a scam of some sort.:)

michaelmicallef
01-26-2016, 06:53 PM
I called one of those guys back and told him I will pay when I get out of jail in about 20 yrs. Haven't had any of those calls for a while.

Digger1
01-26-2016, 07:00 PM
The CRA scammer called a friend of mine last week. Funny thing was, he didn't know her name.

schmedlap
01-26-2016, 07:06 PM
If it is Municipal police or RCMP and it is something like an unpaid ticket, then you WANT to go down and deal with it AT THE POLICE STATION. Bring your Credit Card. Police are kind to those who come in on their own and do not challenge release as much when the person comes in. JUST DON'T SAY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU CALL A LAWYER!!!!

I get calls like this every month asking me why they are in jail and can't get out. Its called DEFAULT TIME. You pay or you stay. All it takes is burned out head light and then a warrant comes up, and you get the pleasure of being in until the unpaid fine has been served.

If it is a number to call back with a credit card to clear the warrant, then its a scam.

Drewski
They do not phone you. If you have a warrant of any kind, and it is warrant enforcement week (?), they come and collect you in person.
I remember the best one ever. My neighbour phoned the cops as to a B & E at his house. They came, investigated, then arrested him for his outstanding traffic warrants and took him to the remand center. He called me very late at night to go down and bail him out, which I did, of course. They had not let him take his wallet with his debit card, so he could not access the funds. I had such a good belly laugh at his expense, and never let him forget it.

Hunter1602
01-26-2016, 07:08 PM

Drewski

It's called a Form 21.
You can pay that off at any time as long as you have the money.
If not, serve days in default.

nelsonob1
01-26-2016, 08:04 PM
At least according to the recorded message on my answering machine. They were decent enough to wish me a nice day :lol: Surprising part is people actually fall for these scams

Grizz

Tell then you have cash but stuck in a wheel chair and they should come over in person to collect.

LMS
01-26-2016, 08:09 PM
Had the CRA scam, they asked our SIN I tried to string them along and find out what they were after but they hung up.

Bushleague
01-26-2016, 08:11 PM

Grizz

Yeah, I got the same one. A guy who could barely speak English, a number from Ontario, the fact that he never named anyone in the household when he said to call back... Telemarketing hits a brand new low.

Selkirk
01-26-2016, 08:16 PM
Warrant out for my arrest ...

It's about time! :waiting4:

Mac :D

MountainTi
01-26-2016, 08:16 PM
They do not phone you. If you have a warrant of any kind, and it is warrant enforcement week (?), they come and collect you in person.
I remember the best one ever. My neighbour phoned the cops as to a B & E at his house. They came, investigated, then arrested him for his outstanding traffic warrants and took him to the remand center. He called me very late at night to go down and bail him out, which I did, of course. They had not let him take his wallet with his debit card, so he could not access the funds. I had such a good belly laugh at his expense, and never let him forget it.

Ummmm, that's wrong actually. Ask me how I know ;)

Bushleague
01-26-2016, 08:18 PM

Drewski

I disagree.... DO NOT go down to the police station. I know several people who were invited down to the station for various reasons "to chat" and were then locked up until bail was posted or the ticket was payed.

One of these people was my father, he had trouble starting his car one morning, decided to drive an uninsured beater to work rather than be late for work, got a ticket. He didn't have the money to pay the ticket off so he worked community service in what little spare time he had, but apparently missed a few hours. Years later my mom lost her mother, went a little loopy and wandered off. My dad phoned the police to have them keep an eye out for her, they told him to come down to the station to fill out some papers, then threw him in jail. Besides the stress of our mother having gone missing, and the lack of police help in finding her, we then had to come up with $3000 to get my dad out of jail.

coolpete1
01-26-2016, 08:22 PM
i had 3 warrants just last week , all from guys with weird african accents , luckily ill never go to africa so i shouldn't be arrested.

Foot Stomper
01-26-2016, 08:57 PM
I disagree.... DO NOT go down to the police station. I know several people who were invited down to the station for various reasons "to chat" and were then locked up until bail was posted or the ticket was payed.

One of these people was my father, he had trouble starting his car one morning, decided to drive an uninsured beater to work rather than be late for work, got a ticket. He didn't have the money to pay the ticket off so he worked community service in what little spare time he had, but apparently missed a few hours. Years later my mom lost her mother, went a little loopy and wandered off. My dad phoned the police to have them keep an eye out for her, they told him to come down to the station to fill out some papers, then threw him in jail. Besides the stress of our mother having gone missing, and the lack of police help in finding her, we then had to come up with $3000 to get my dad out of jail.

That's a god damned shame to kick a man when he's down!

Jack Hardin
01-26-2016, 09:52 PM
I have had several of these calls and each time the person spoke perfect English. The have a nice day, was an interesting touch.

Puma
01-26-2016, 11:00 PM

Grizz

You say it like its the first time .... :thinking-006:

canadiantdi
01-26-2016, 11:25 PM
A buddy of mine got pulled over and threatened with arrest because he had an unpaid ticket for snow removal from his driveway! No joke!

canadiantdi
01-26-2016, 11:26 PM
I haven't had any calls with threats of confinement.. I feel left out.

58thecat
01-26-2016, 11:32 PM

Grizz

:scared:bad boys, bad boys...:scared0018:

Kim473
01-27-2016, 05:15 AM

Let me guess, Edmonton police department ? A few nice ones but most are just Richards with things like that. I think most is because of the Chief !

Grizzly Adams
01-27-2016, 07:25 AM
You say it like its the first time .... :thinking-006:

In my well rounded life, I actually spent a night in jail, so I can say it wasn't. :lol:

Grizz

Hevishot
01-27-2016, 07:55 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/16blmp0.jpg

bobtodrick
01-27-2016, 09:32 AM
Unfortunately I do think things have changed for the worse.
I think the reasons are varied...from overworked cops (I know many of you think this a joke, but arrange for a 'ride along' as I did a few years ago...they do work for their money) to just the fact that Calgary and Edmonton are now 'big cities'.
I remember about 25 years ago. The cops showed up at my home unannounced because of some unpaid parking tickets. It was a Sunday and I had no cash. They asked if I had a debit card (which I did). They actually drove me to a local bank, let me withdraw the money I would need from the ATM and then took me downtown. I was sitting back home watching TV within two hours.
Don't think that would happen today.

Bushleague
01-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Let me guess, Edmonton police department ? A few nice ones but most are just Richards with things like that. I think most is because of the Chief !

Yep, EPS. In any case getting thrown in jail wont help you pay off the ticket unless your friends feel sorry for you. Under different conditions I probably would have left my dad in there for a few days for not getting things sorted out earlier, at that point we had bigger problems to worry about.

sjemac
01-27-2016, 09:26 PM
Job interviewer: "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence?"

Me: "Convicted? No. Never convicted." 😜

Drewski Canuck
01-27-2016, 10:19 PM
Bushleague,

I just do this stuff to make a living. I'm a U of A Law School grad class of '89and in private practice ever since. Don't listen to my advice, you sound so much more experienced. What's your Bar Number?

Too bad for your relative. If he had JUST PAID THE BALANCE OF THE FINE HE WOULD HAVE WALKED!!! if that really is the story.

The fact is, the harder you make it for law enforcement, for some CRAZY reason, the harder they make it on you. Just makes it easier on them and their workload for you to come in and clear the tickets. They respect that.

If you want to simply stick your head in the sand and think an investigation will go away, party on. There can be a lot of delays on a weekend to get a JP hearing if they pick you up on a warrant. By god, you can sit for days waiting for the JP, and that is the best case of getting charged, not outstanding fines. Or you can go down on a Tuesday Morning after speaking to Counsel so that they know to be on the ready to help.

If you have a reasonable constable, and not a scammer, he will usually talk to you if it is tickets overdue. Otherwise, he will want to "talk to you to hear your side of the story".

If it is something serious, just understand that their job is to get the evidence for a conviction, and they really don't care about your side of the story. YOU CANNOT TALK YOUR WAY OUT OF IT SO SHUT YOUR HOLE!

Call a lawyer, and sit tight until we can get you out. Talk to no one means talk to no one. Not the undercover who just fought with the guard and called cops stupid. Not the Janitor who is so nice. Not another inmate. No one but your lawyer, understand???

Form 21 is correct. Pay or Stay, is correct.

Drewski

does it ALL outdoors
01-28-2016, 12:38 AM
I disagree.... DO NOT go down to the police station. I know several people who were invited down to the station for various reasons Free boat giveaway!

Got Juice?
01-28-2016, 04:07 AM
If it is something serious, just understand that their job is to get the evidence for a conviction, and they really don't care about your side of the story. YOU CANNOT TALK YOUR WAY OUT OF IT SO SHUT YOUR HOLE!

Call a lawyer, and sit tight until we can get you out. Talk to no one means talk to no one. Not the undercover who just fought with the guard and called cops stupid. Not the Janitor who is so nice. Not another inmate. No one but your lawyer, understand???

Drewski

Yup

Bushleague
01-28-2016, 06:08 AM
Bushleague,

I just do this stuff to make a living. I'm a U of A Law School grad class of '89and in private practice ever since. Don't listen to my advice, you sound so much more experienced. What's your Bar Number?

Too bad for your relative. If he had JUST PAID THE BALANCE OF THE FINE HE WOULD HAVE WALKED!!! if that really is the story.

The fact is, the harder you make it for law enforcement, for some CRAZY reason, the harder they make it on you. Just makes it easier on them and their workload for you to come in and clear the tickets. They respect that.

If you want to simply stick your head in the sand and think an investigation will go away, party on. There can be a lot of delays on a weekend to get a JP hearing if they pick you up on a warrant. By god, you can sit for days waiting for the JP, and that is the best case of getting charged, not outstanding fines. Or you can go down on a Tuesday Morning after speaking to Counsel so that they know to be on the ready to help.

If you have a reasonable constable, and not a scammer, he will usually talk to you if it is tickets overdue. Otherwise, he will want to "talk to you to hear your side of the story".

Drewski

I never recommended sticking your head in the sand and waiting for the investigation to go away, but if you don't have the money (the only logical reason I can think of for not paying ones tickets), then how will intentionally getting yourself locked up help anything? Not me, I wouldn't go to the station until I had the money, one way or another.

Iron Brew
01-28-2016, 08:04 AM
I actually did a reverse number lookup on the CRA call, and it was (supposedly) located in downtown Ottawa. The fellow (heavily accented) wanted all sorts of detail from me. I was more than a tad suspicious, and told him all dealings go through my accountant, who they had on file, and no, I would not give them any info, as it was on file. He was not happy with me, and tried all sorts of things to get my info. I promptly called CRA, who confirmed it was a hoax. The fellow even did a check to confirm there were no outstanding charges... which I was confident of.

The reason I even went so far as to double check was years ago I got a grant for school. At some point they decided they had overpaid me, and I needed to pay me back. Prolly not an issue if I'd known about it. They sicced a collection agency on me which left a notice on my credit rating. I managed to get a hold of a senior OSAP official, and blasted a strip off them. My parents still lived at the address on file, and they had never tried to catch up to me.

Grizzly Adams
02-02-2016, 04:13 PM
So, got the call again, googled the number and as above came up with an Ottawa area location. Also, pages of people advising this is a fraudulent operation. Phoned the RCMP, who asked if I sent them money ? You're joking, right ?:lol: Apparently, they won't open a file, unless someone has actually sent them funds, but the gave me the number of the Canadian Fraud centre. One can't help but believe they have no interest in shutting these people down. :confused:

Grizz

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
02-02-2016, 05:02 PM
I just received a call from a Shawn white with the CRA asking for money
I thought it was Justin Trudeau at first asking for taxes on money I haven't made yet :lol:

Sundancefisher
02-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Bushleague,

Drewski

Is there a website I can check to see if they are still out to get me or do I need to call the station. The cops can trick me or do they have to tell the truth? Do I have to pay a lawyer?

Hunter1602
02-02-2016, 07:56 PM
Is there a website I can check to see if they are still out to get me or do I need to call the station. The cops can trick me or do they have to tell the truth? Do I have to pay a lawyer?

Contact 403-266-1234.
They will ask you to come in because you cannot, or should not conduct a CPIC check with someone over the phone whom you cannot confirm identity. You don't need to pay a laywer. Depending on your situation, if it's not serious, then chances are they are something called Form 7 endorsed which means they can release you on a promise to appear with a new court date pertaining to those original offences.