PDA

View Full Version : Outfitting in Alberta

antlercarver
01-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Should big game outfitting {commercial hunting} go the same way as commercial fishing. Both are business using Alberta wildlife as the revenue source.

pikergolf
01-26-2016, 05:44 PM
I think we should follow Brad Walls Sask. template. If it's on a draw then residents only.

diamond k
01-26-2016, 05:59 PM
APOS is currently recruiting for a business manager and a public relations officer.

Looks like they know a review is coming and they are preparing for the debate.

What is general population of hunters doing to protect our interests and who is looking after our interests.

lannie
01-26-2016, 06:00 PM
I think we should follow Brad Walls Sask. template. If it's on a draw then residents only.

x2
Great idea and it's working well for them.

Matt L.
01-26-2016, 06:26 PM
Should big game outfitting {commercial hunting} go the same way as commercial fishing. Both are business using Alberta wildlife as the revenue source.

No.

albertadeer
01-26-2016, 07:36 PM

No but selling antlers for commercial use should... Both are business using alberta wildlife as the revenue source....

Bigwoodsman
01-26-2016, 07:42 PM
x2
great idea and it's working well for them.

x3

bw

Deer Hunter
01-26-2016, 08:09 PM
What is general population of hunters doing to protect our interests and who is looking after our interests.

^^
This is a bigger problem.

huntwat
01-26-2016, 09:43 PM
Absolutely!!!

roper1
01-26-2016, 09:54 PM
My Dad had his commercial fisherman's licence for decades. It was fun for us kids & his grandkids to watch the 'jiggerboard' tap-tapping under the ice.

He was never in it for the money & would drill holes & rod fish while at the lake anyway. When they took away his allocation he couldn't sell the nets because there was no demand for them. He was completely comfortable with the logic behind the added pressure on the fishery & went rod only the last while.

However for some outfitters it would be a large part of their annual income lost. I guess a buyout would be fair??? Sure feels like foreigners having more access to our game than us residents is way wrong, IMO.

So yes I think commercial hunting should go the same way as commercial fishing did.

Ultimate Predator
01-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Yes

cschache
01-26-2016, 10:29 PM
x3

bw

X4

LMS
01-26-2016, 10:49 PM
I don't like to see anyone lose their livelihood but a buyout of at least sheep and mule deer outfitter tags sounds like a great idea to me

petew
01-27-2016, 08:24 AM
There are a lot more jobs lost in the Trades every month than the whole outfitting industry has people. Outfitting is part time work at best, and most guides are doing it on their holidays from their real jobs.

Headdamage
01-27-2016, 08:57 AM
I say ban outfitted hunting, hunter host only for non-residents.

stubblejumper01
01-27-2016, 10:26 AM

I agree. It's kind of depressing watching the guys from Bow Madness doing their annual southern Alberta mule deer hunts. At the very least they should have to use the draw system like the rest of us.

thetruth
01-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Good God, you people are playing right into the anti's, and probably this whacked out governments', hands. Do you honestly think they'll stop at eliminating "commercial" hunting?

Shake your freaking heads and get over yourselves. Now more than ever is the time for us to be coming together as hunters, not dividing our ranks....

wildside2014
01-27-2016, 11:47 AM
There are a lot more jobs lost in the Trades every month than the whole outfitting industry has people. Outfitting is part time work at best, and most guides are doing it on their holidays from their real jobs.

The thread is regarding outfitting, not guiding. Outfitters such as Claudio ongaro make a living out of it. Guides typically don't. I don't believe it should go by the wayside as it greatly affects Albertas tourism dollars. I do believe that draw allocations should be removed, and waterfowl operations should be forced to hunt smaller areas. Im tired of almost getting into fist fights with guides from fairly large waterfowl operations on the side of the road while im watching the birds im hunting the next morning, while they tell me its 'their field'....on my own fields. And yes, this happens quite literally every year.

lannie
01-27-2016, 01:22 PM
The thread is regarding outfitting, not guiding. Outfitters such as Claudio ongaro make a living out of it. Guides typically don't. I don't believe it should go by the wayside as it greatly affects Albertas tourism dollars. I do believe that draw allocations should be removed, and waterfowl operations should be forced to hunt smaller areas. Im tired of almost getting into fist fights with guides from fairly large waterfowl operations on the side of the road while im watching the birds im hunting the next morning, while they tell me its 'their field'....on my own fields. And yes, this happens quite literally every year.

I thought Claudio the "hero" was a School teacher first and was just supplementing his income also.

huntwat
01-27-2016, 02:54 PM

You should just drive away, then invite the cops the next morning to charge them with trespassing.

Clarksen
01-27-2016, 03:51 PM
No Outfitting allocations for any animal that's on draw for residents.

1 Sheep tag auctioned off for non residents every leap year.

Talk bout "mining" a resource.