PDA

View Full Version : Xelha or Xcaret

Greasemonkey
01-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Going to Mexico for 2weeks in March with the kids and was thinking of taking them to one of these places, do you guys have any experiences good or bad regarding them, I have read trip advisor but would like some Canadian experiences, thank you in advance for any replies

Bergerboy
01-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Have only been to Xel Ha. Very much fun for everyone. No one complained.

sirmike68
01-26-2016, 07:46 PM
Xcaret was nice but the beach is a man made cove. If you want a beach Xcaret is not the place.

roger
01-26-2016, 08:08 PM

Agree. 100x
my advice is get to xelha as soon as it opens. Get on bus or bike up river and snorkel down the river. Before others muck it up. And all fish hide in the mangrove.
I'd go to Mexico again just for xelha.although suits are free to use while there I'd consider bringing my own wetsuits wetsocks and snorkel gear. Then again im 6-4 and 240 so not a lot of choices that im not singing soprano when I raise my arms over my head.

liar
01-26-2016, 08:09 PM

x2

omega50
01-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Xelha back in the mid 90's with the family was very chill. Snorkeling was good- lots of rays swimming, but visibility was variable based on currents and # of people splashing around.
Hammocks just along the cove were just the ticket.
River was getting minimal use back then. I checked it out without the kids
Was almost no services back then-small snack bar and drinks available-
Very cheap, but looks like that changed. I paid about $25 for a family of 4:budo:

Passthru
01-26-2016, 08:17 PM
I've been to both and liked xalha much better. Seemed more relaxed and everybody has something to do.

Dewey Cox
01-26-2016, 08:21 PM
Went to xcaret on my honeymoon (ten years ago this June)
We loved it. There's a stream that runs through the zoo, and starts in the lobby of the hotel. You can feed the fish.
I think it would be a fantastic place for kids, since the beach is not really in the ocean, and there is lots to do.
I did bring a fishing rod, but at the ocean it's all rocky cliffs, and the Mexicans didn't like the idea of me going down there.
We considered going there again for our anniversary this year, but there are way too many places we haven't been to go back to the same place twice.

bubba 96
01-26-2016, 09:07 PM
Xelha all the way, took my 12 yr and 7yr and they loved it, all inclusive is great too.

jan
01-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Xcaret is not cheap.We went last year to Xcaret ,:shark:end for 2 paid over $200 but our $ was almost Par with $usa. Xcaret is big park and to see all you need full day.Snorkeling not so nice I liked more swim at Xelha,also don't miss evening spectacular show Culture of Mexico.
XelHa more natural park and snorkeling more interesting .Kids will loved.
You can buy 2 tours(Xcaret+HelHa package )and save some money.
Remember ;Enjoy your VACATION.http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/shark.gif

Lefty-Canuck
01-26-2016, 09:36 PM
Yal ku is a place we went, it's in a park and back then it was $5 to go there....tonnes of fish!

LC

Savage addict
01-26-2016, 09:38 PM
Xcaret is more like a zoo and has a Mayan show at the end of the day. Makes for a very long day but well worth taking in. Kids will love the show at the end. Xelha is literally the lagoon from the movie blue lagoon and now has a wicked cool rope maze (for kids but I hit it and it was awesome) (though a day in the water then climbing ropes tore my hand open pretty bad) all inclusive buffet for lunch at xelha. For a two week trip I'd say you have to do both but if your kids can snorkel xelha is probably more fun. Tons of swimming and exploring, just make sure it's a nice day when you go, we went once when it wasn't so nice and it gets pretty intense in the waves. The lazy river is cold in the morning, I'd swim for a bit first before doing that. Plus at the end of he day at xelha they have all inclusive restaurants along the way back to the bus to take in some cervesas and great bbq buffet. We've been to the Mayan a few times and wouldn't do xcaret more than once but don't regret taking it in. On the other hand we go to xelha every time.

Savage addict
01-26-2016, 09:43 PM
Also to add they have cliffs you can jump off on the lazy river. With lifeguards monitoring of course. If you go to the Mayan your first choice for day trip should be xelha

Nate_K1500
01-26-2016, 10:07 PM
Buy your tickets from the guys on the beach. Down payment first. Then pay the rest the day of the excursion... We saved $45 USD per person this way. F@#& Sun wing. We did tulum (not very fun as all the ruins are roped off to the public) senotes (under ground caves which were awesome and part of xelha I think) and swam with the turtles in akumel (pretty cool for kids) all for $45 USD each where Sun wing wanted around $105 USA each......!!

avb3
01-26-2016, 10:21 PM
If you like Disney type stuff.. Xcaret.

If you like things more natural... Xhelha. Their restaurants are wonderful, and all part of the package.

jmedical
01-27-2016, 01:32 AM
Xelha is a water park with food and some attractions(very expensive)
Xcaret is a zoo with a swimminng pool.

jeprli
01-27-2016, 06:42 AM
Did the same tour as Nate 1500, for 65 a person booked at hotel. Our group was 10 people. Guides were young an they definitely knew how to entertain us. First a 2 hour snorkel at Akumal (best done early morning to avoid crowds an observe turtles and stingrays, corals are cool too. One of the brain coral mounds was just awesome. Had a decent size barracuda swim right by. Huge turtles. After that we went to jungle for lunch any viewed some resident animals. Their whitetail deer and boars were the highlight for me. After lunch, cenote swim session followed. This jungle visit was great as there was only one other group of tourists that followed behind us. Tulum ruins were the last site, when we arrived there it was a downpour so that tour was sort of short, awesome beach at Tulum ruins. Decent size market with a good variety, fried crickets were present but I Did not dare to eat any. Girls were pleasantly surprised with Starbucks coffee shop.

My 4 year old loved that excursion, we really did not feel like going to amusement parks an fighting crowds. Guides were super nice(the only 2 Mexicans who were "real" and not after tips for every occasion).

This was my first trip to Yucatan, nice place but I prefer Jamaica as many in the group agreed on after this vacation. Just way too many tourists for my liking.

Attilathecanuk
01-27-2016, 06:53 AM
Xel Ha is awesome. Go there

Newf
01-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Have to agree with the others here Xel Ha was fun. Can't comment on xcaret though.

Arrowhead
01-27-2016, 08:28 AM
We really liked XelHa. But dont buy the excersion package from the resort to go there which includes bus and entrance passes. You can save a bundle by taking the public collectivo (sp?) bus there, and pay your own way in. Way cheaper that way, and you are not tied to anyones schedule.

ZipperHead
01-27-2016, 08:29 AM
If you love snorkeling, Xelha. If you want to hit the ziplines, XCaret. I've been to both and found Xelha a better full day experience. Tubing down the river was lame (too slow) but the snorkeling and underwater helmet adventure with the stingrays was cool (be prepared to pay for the extras). We did XCaret at night, which was cool, especially zip lining which was a blast, but we found it to be rather boring after that.

If I were to pick, Xelha would win just for the variety. Plus I'm a huge snorkeling fan so I'm a bit biased. But if you're just doing it for the snorkeling, get on a catamaran and head out to a reef. That's where the crazy action is.

SD1797
01-27-2016, 09:26 AM
I was at one but it was so long ago I cannot remember which lol

darren32
01-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Have been to both a few times. savage addict's posts are spot on!

If you take a cab to xcaret make sure you arrange to get home somehow. We stayed late and could not get a cab back (off season, not busy) .... my wife didn't appreciate the walk back to the hiway in the dark ....

birdee
01-27-2016, 07:11 PM
try xplore 12yr son wife and myself loved it. Underground cave staligmit
lazy underground swims all lite up ziplines.
http://www.xplor.travel/xplor-tour-cancun.php?gclid=CKPizIa3y8oCFQqpaQodnP0LXg

Big Racks
02-14-2016, 09:30 PM
If you can, do both. Book Xel-Ha and Tulum as a 1/2-1/2 day trip. Perfect as the ruins at Tulum are smaller so you can get through them fairly quickly, plus the beach there is fantastic. Xel-Ha is great for the swimming and snorkelling, plus you can do the dolphin swim if it interests you. XCaret is more of a zoo, as mentioned, but the show at night is pretty spectacular. I'd go again just for the show. If they still have it, the pirate ship out of Cancun is a lot of fun for the kids too, dinner is decent.

denied access
02-14-2016, 10:11 PM
Xel ha is off the hook!!! Do the river and then go all around the lagoon. Absolutely amazing. Very well run. You don't need to bring anything with you, all your food and beer is provided and it is really pro. First Class. Also in Akumal go in the public swim area. Don't get sucked into a tour. Just go to the beach with your snorkel gear and swim. Pick up snorkel gear and a vest in Canada before you go and take it with you. There are turtles everywhere. Don't let the con men fool you that you need a tour. Great beach, great bar and great snorkeling. Also in Akumal is Yal-Ku lagoon if you like snorkelling which is absolutely fantastic as well and pretty cheap admission.

nonsuch
02-14-2016, 10:30 PM
Neither last time we went with the family we hired a privet tour guide. They were awesome and way cheaper than any other tour and we did most of them over the years. They custom made our tour to include what we wanted and because it was small we got in and out of the busy places before the big tours arrived. Check out Rod Ratner or Kyes custom tours.

ORV
02-22-2016, 03:28 PM
anyone recommend someone for a half days deep sea fishing or so
down there? approx. price to be looking at?

planning on going in may.

appreciate any info

Orv.

Justanotherbuck2
02-24-2016, 08:08 AM
Xel ha for sure, I found it amazing so much to do and explore, free beer stands and buffet you can do the deep sea walk (extra$) but the lagoon and caves are fantastic so many fish! It is impossible to say enough about this place!

wonka
02-26-2016, 11:49 PM
We been many times to Playa, and have done both Xel Ha and Xcarat, prices for each are simular, but Xel Ha is a snorkel beach adventure where Xcarat is a zoo with an underground river and a great show ( in spanish mind you). The kids always like Xel ha, but twice through Xcarat was enough for them. another option to kill a day is Xplor, zip lines, under ground river, off road track (gators basically) always fun there. As far as ruins, Coba would get my vote as you can still climb the ruins