PDA

View Full Version : What spotting scope

Ruger99
01-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Leupold sx1 spotting scope or the vortex black diamond they are both the same price what would you say has the better glass ? Or better bang for the buck ?
Was saving for the swaro but the economy and ndp and all lol

blackmamba
01-27-2016, 08:06 PM
Vortex has got great glass and probably best bang for the price.. especially with there warranty .. if you can look at them side x side and compare would be the best way to see.. I ran vortex till I bought a Swarovski. .

Mamba

deerhunter
01-27-2016, 08:48 PM
I've got a Swarovski ATM80HD
Great scope

:sHa_shakeshout:

fenceline
01-28-2016, 07:12 AM
With the new.nikon 83power optical zoom and 166 digital zoom and 13000
Megapixels , more powerful lighter more compact and it takes pic and videos
670$$ can be hooked to a lap top also. A lot more useful than a spotting scope

elkhunter11
01-28-2016, 08:08 AM

Did you look at the temperature range the camera is rated for? Not at all practical for late season big game hunting. As well it requires batteries which would make it a pain on a wilderness hunt. When it comes to a spotting scope that will be used for hunting, the camera would be a very poor choice.

fenceline
01-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Seems to work fine taking pics out side 20 below
Trail cam work in cold

elkhunter11
01-28-2016, 12:35 PM
Seems to work fine taking pics out side 20 below
Trail cam work in cold

Yet the manufacturer lists the minimum operating temperature as 0 degress C. So how long do the batteries last when used as a full time spotter on a late season wilderness sheep hunt?

wolf308
01-28-2016, 01:22 PM

Seems like more of a long range target shooting accessory .... Yes no maybe so ?

wolf308
01-28-2016, 01:26 PM
Leupold mk4 military grade !!!!

Hehe. I was lucky to get my hands on one for $1000 less last spring. Swirl and shwoosh of the bullets ... Really cool. But I'm sure others do that too.

elkhunter11
01-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Seems like more of a long range target shooting accessory .... Yes no maybe so ?

It's just a Nikon Coolpix digital camera.

TROLLER
01-28-2016, 02:07 PM
Leupold sx1 spotting scope or the vortex black diamond they are both the same price what would you say has the better glass ? Or better bang for the buck ?
Was saving for the swaro but the economy and ndp and all lol

Because of the warranty and my experience with their service I would have to recommend Leupold. I have had on for years, never an issue and had a problem with one of their scopes, sent it back for repair and they just mailed me out a new one no charge.

Says a lot about the company I figure.

elkhunter11
01-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Because of the warranty and my experience with their service I would have to recommend Leupold. I have had on for years, never an issue and had a problem with one of their scopes, sent it back for repair and they just mailed me out a new one no charge.

Says a lot about the company I figure.

I think that it says more about the company when you use their products for years, and never have to use their warranty.:)

LJalberta
01-28-2016, 08:52 PM
If you check out the bird forums and reviews, there's a lot of love for the Vanguard Endeavour and the Celestron Regal M2 in that price range. Here's a review I've seen pop up around before http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2014travelscopes/chart_2014.html

MountainTi
01-28-2016, 09:02 PM
I think that it says more about the company when you use their products for years, and never have to use their warranty.:)

:)

Ruger99
01-29-2016, 07:40 AM
Thanks guys !

tchammer
01-29-2016, 12:29 PM
Pentax PF-65EDII spotting scope with the Pentax XW14 eyepiece. I set up this combination about 4 years back and it is unbelievable!! The XW14 eyepiece is from Pentax's top of the line telescopes. I forget what the fixed power is from this combination but I can pick out the deadbolt on the front door of a house at 1 mile. Not creeping, just was the most notable reference point to test out when I bought it.:) Still has decent low light capabilities and clarity from 50' out to two or more miles is fantastic. Set up this scope was substantially less than the top end models from the Leica and such. It is interesting to note that Pentax is the optics supplier for a major amount of top end optics manufacturers of everything from cameras, scopes, telescopes, and medical equipment as well I believe. It is definitely worth looking into.