PDA

View Full Version : side imaging in sonar

diamond k
01-27-2016, 07:44 PM
I can see the novelty of the down imaging when the kids are fishing off of the side of the boat for walleye but with 99 % of the fishing and conditions we have here is there any advantage to side imaging. Am I missing something here?

huntsfurfish
01-27-2016, 11:21 PM
Yes and yes.:)

Moefoe
01-28-2016, 01:04 AM
I can see the novelty of the down imaging when the kids are fishing off of the side of the boat for walleye but with 99 % of the fishing and conditions we have here is there any advantage to side imaging. Am I missing something here?

Just picked up an HDS 7 Gen 3 that's gonna be exclusively for side imaging...game changer! So as previously stated Yes and Yes!!

ROA
01-28-2016, 06:02 AM
Biggest eye opener for me was after fishing with my buddy. We were trolling along looking at fish, he points to a big one on the screen, marks a way point on it, turns the boat around, casts to it and hammers a 15lbs pike. They are the real deal if you know how to use it.

dwedmon
01-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Side sonar is invaluable when fishing is slow. Lets you find and focus on productive areas way faster.

cube
01-28-2016, 04:35 PM

To tell the truth they are over rated in my opinion. I find one does not see a lot of fish out to the side except when there is lots and then you know it anyway. It can certainly help you find things like rocks or weeds though which can be helpful.

I have WFN so watch a fair number of fishing shows and RARLEY do you see a tournament fisherman or guide with the side scan on. You will see charting, down scan and regular sonar but again rarely do you see them with side scan on. (except on the once a year show where they are obviously trying to sell it)

If they would have different colors for things suspended off the bottom etc I'm sure it would be much more helpful. I'm also sure some day they will indeed have it but for now not as helpful as one would think.

I would love to try out the 360 as at least that way you could see if the spot is moving. But again you don't see guides and tournament guys using it and I think if it worked and helped bring in the dough they would all have it running.

To be clear though I have it and run it all the time mostly because I have it. If I have to turn something off first it's always the side scan.

JMHO though

diamond k
01-28-2016, 08:08 PM
On the prairie lakes with heavy organic matter is the visibility still decent or does all the alge interfere with the imaging?

huntsfurfish
01-28-2016, 09:49 PM
Use mine on Southern Reservoirs and have had no issues with algae.

Once you learn how to use them and interpret what you are seeing, they are bloody awesome.:sHa_shakeshout:

That said, not all will appreciate them because of the learning curve.

As to what cube commented on regarding tournaments.
Betting most of them used them during prefishing and maybe not as much during the tournament.
In tournaments I watch side scan even during the tournament because I might find something useful.

You can use them to stay on a weed edge, you can see rock, boulders, rubble, trees, cars, channels etc. And you can even see fish(if you know what you are looking at).

Does one need one?

Nope all you need is line and a hook.:)

EZM
01-28-2016, 11:10 PM
Use mine on Southern Reservoirs and have had no issues with algae.

Once you learn how to use them and interpret what you are seeing, they are bloody awesome.:sHa_shakeshout:

That said, not all will appreciate them because of the learning curve.

As to what cube commented on regarding tournaments.
Betting most of them used them during prefishing and maybe not as much during the tournament.
In tournaments I watch side scan even during the tournament because I might find something useful.

You can use them to stay on a weed edge, you can see rock, boulders, rubble, trees, cars, channels etc. And you can even see fish(if you know what you are looking at).

Does one need one?

Nope all you need is line and a hook.:)

Yup and Yup, everything you said ......and may I add one more application where side imaging is awesome .....

Consider the impact of trolling a deep lake for Rainbows, Salmon or Lakers and be able to spot a school of baitfish or game fish and being able to turn the boat for a subsequent pass AND adjust your downrigger depth.

The impact and effectiveness cannot be understated. At the risk of sounding like a douche - if you don`t see the potential of this tool you probably don`t know how to use it properly (or to it`s full potential).

Case in point - I doubled my laker take on the first outing using my side imaging years ago when this new product came out.

EZM
01-28-2016, 11:13 PM
And - one day it could save your life (or your boat). Try moving along a lake, in the middle of a 2 mile opening in a Canadian shield lake and you begin to see a shallow ridge as it begins to intersect with your intended travel path.

I scouted new areas and narrows in new and dangerous lakes (Athapapskow and Reindeer) by turning my boat 90 degrees before venturing into new areas unmarked on the maps.

The attached is a photo of a friend of mine standing on a sheer cliff, 10 feet by maybe 15 feet, in 6 inches of water with water surrounding him that was 80 feet deep.

It was like a building jutting up just under the surface and was far away from shore and anyone would have or could have just ripped down the middle of this path and been in real trouble. This was reindeer lake - where you may not see another boat all day and about 20km as the crow flies from the camp.

We found this doing a side image scan and were lucky to avoid it.

Walleyedude
01-29-2016, 08:25 AM
To tell the truth they are over rated in my opinion. I find one does not see a lot of fish out to the side except when there is lots and then you know it anyway. It can certainly help you find things like rocks or weeds though which can be helpful.

I have WFN so watch a fair number of fishing shows and RARLEY do you see a tournament fisherman or guide with the side scan on. You will see charting, down scan and regular sonar but again rarely do you see them with side scan on. (except on the once a year show where they are obviously trying to sell it)

If they would have different colors for things suspended off the bottom etc I'm sure it would be much more helpful. I'm also sure some day they will indeed have it but for now not as helpful as one would think.

I would love to try out the 360 as at least that way you could see if the spot is moving. But again you don't see guides and tournament guys using it and I think if it worked and helped bring in the dough they would all have it running.

To be clear though I have it and run it all the time mostly because I have it. If I have to turn something off first it's always the side scan.

JMHO though

I would agree that if I had to give one up, side scan would be the first, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

I think you're underestimating how much SI gets used by guides and tournament fishermen. Personally it's more of a tool I use when pre-fishing, but I do use it when trolling, because as huntsfurfish and EZM have pointed out, it's a pretty amazing tool for following structure edges, weedlines, etc.., and marking fish once you've learned how to interpret it.

As for seeing things suspended in the water column, and in a different color, have you seen the new Structure Scan 3D?

Looks pretty impressive...

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Sonar/StructureScan-3D.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0lV20xL9I

cube
02-02-2016, 03:00 PM
I would agree that if I had to give one up, side scan would be the first, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

I think you're underestimating how much SI gets used by guides and tournament fishermen. Personally it's more of a tool I use when pre-fishing, but I do use it when trolling, because as huntsfurfish and EZM have pointed out, it's a pretty amazing tool for following structure edges, weedlines, etc.., and marking fish once you've learned how to interpret it.

As for seeing things suspended in the water column, and in a different color, have you seen the new Structure Scan 3D?

Looks pretty impressive...

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Sonar/StructureScan-3D.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0lV20xL9I

I do hope the new 3D lives up the hype. I would also like Lowrance to come up with a 360 version as well.

Just the other day on the "Next Bite" Fishing show they had 2 professional anglers on trolling for walleye out on lake Winibago. And as you can guess they had regular sonar, Down Scan and Chart running. At no time did they have Side Scan running even though they had at least 2 large units on the boat so could have easily had it up if they found it help full.

I have included an image here. As you can see the fish are clearly visible over the black area which is the water column directly under the boat (which your conventional sonar would also see) but as you look out to the sides you can't id fish out there. They are lost over the bottom and that's why it would be nice if they could color them some thing different from what they color the bottom.

I have side scan and I do use it allot so I am fairly familiar with how to interpret it, I just happen to think it's not nearly as useful as people would think. If money were tight for them they might be disappointed is all.

cube
02-02-2016, 03:44 PM
And - one day it could save your life (or your boat). Try moving along a lake, in the middle of a 2 mile opening in a Canadian shield lake and you begin to see a shallow ridge as it begins to intersect with your intended travel path.

I scouted new areas and narrows in new and dangerous lakes (Athapapskow and Reindeer) by turning my boat 90 degrees before venturing into new areas unmarked on the maps.

The attached is a photo of a friend of mine standing on a sheer cliff, 10 feet by maybe 15 feet, in 6 inches of water with water surrounding him that was 80 feet deep.

It was like a building jutting up just under the surface and was far away from shore and anyone would have or could have just ripped down the middle of this path and been in real trouble. This was reindeer lake - where you may not see another boat all day and about 20km as the crow flies from the camp.

We found this doing a side image scan and were lucky to avoid it.

Yes but that was more of a lucky break. If you are having to stop your boat and turn it 90 your going slow enough not to have caused any damage if you hit it at all. I am sure you would also have to admit it is impractical to stop your boat every 150 feet and turn it 90 degrees to have a look on the side scan of where you plan to head on such a big lake. I know when I go to shield lakes where I do not have tracks or coordinates to go by I go as slow as my boat will go on plane and never take my hand off the throttle. I also make sure my depth alarm is set and functional.

huntsfurfish
02-02-2016, 06:30 PM
Once you can adjust your units, you might get more out of them.

Running 150 ft to each side will not/may not give you info you are looking for. Reducing distance out to the side will give you better definition. If you are watching a weed line to your port, show just your port SI. etc.

Not all need it or want it. But lots of info there if you want it.

As to "Next Bite" they likely used it to find the spot or someone may have used it to find it. Then again they may have found the spot by word of mouth. And I would bet you money Keith and Gary use it pretty regularly(Side imaging). Just because a pro doesnt have it on screen all the time, doesnt mean they dont use it alot. I dont even have mine on all the time either.

I would be willing to bet that at least 50% of users do not use them properly(to their fullest). Also wouldnt be surprised if 25-50% were not mounted properly.

All that said, it may not be for everyone.

cube
02-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Once you can adjust your units, you might get more out of them. Absolultly agree with you here. That's why I leave mine in manual mode so I can easily change distance and contrast settings

Running 150 ft to each side will not/may not give you info you are looking for. Agree with you here again. I just mentioned the 150 ft because EZM said he was using it to find hazards.Reducing distance out to the side will give you better definition. Absolutely agree here again that's why I leave it manual mode most of the time If you are watching a weed line to your port, show just your port SI. etc. While I have tried it I find I don't use unidirectional all that much. I'm using the side scan in new area's mostly so I usually want the info from both sides. after the first pass I already have my track to follow so don't need the Side Scan to follow the weed line. But on your recommendation I will certainly give it more of a try this summer.

Not all need it or want it. But lots of info there if you want it.

As to "Next Bite" they likely used it to find the spot or someone may have used it to find it They were hunting Roaming walleye's in that episode out in the middle of the lake ie no structure to find. Just have to find the fish and they were not running side Scan. Then again they may have found the spot by word of mouth. And I would bet you money Keith and Gary use it pretty regularly(Side imaging). Just because a pro doesnt have it on screen all the time, doesnt mean they dont use it alot. I dont even have mine on all the time either. You might indeed be correct here but I do find "The Next Bite" to be more truth full than most. I would say that they do hold back on info about 1 year before they let you know what they won the money on but Side San has been around for a number of years and again other than the one episode of the year where they are obviously pushing the sponsors sonar you rarely wee them (or others with it on)

I would be willing to bet that at least 50% of users do not use them properly(to their fullest). Absolutely agree with you. I find that I have to constantly make many small adjustments while using it to get the most out of it. (Changing range and contrast mostly. I find the biggest mistake I see is that they have the contrast up way to high. Also wouldnt be surprised if 25-50% were not mounted properly.

All that said, it may not be for everyone.

Walleyedude
02-03-2016, 09:22 AM
You guys make great points about having to continually adjust range and contrast for best results, it's a bit of a pain, but it's worth it.

The biggest mistake I see users make with SI that leaves them frustrated and disappointed is trying to use it while moving too slowly.

To really see the optimum detailed pictures you see in the promos, you need to be moving between 3-6 mph in my experience. It works OK at crank trolling speeds, 2-3 mph, but loses its effectiveness pretty drastically at speeds below that in my experience. It's all but useless if the boat is stationary.

cube
02-03-2016, 10:51 AM
You guys make great points about having to continually adjust range and contrast for best results, it's a bit of a pain, but it's worth it.

The biggest mistake I see users make with SI that leaves them frustrated and disappointed is trying to use it while moving too slowly.

To really see the optimum detailed pictures you see in the promos, you need to be moving between 3-6 mph in my experience. It works OK at crank trolling speeds, 2-3 mph, but loses its effectiveness pretty drastically at speeds below that in my experience. It's all but useless if the boat is stationary.

Yes, absolutely useless when stationary or moving too slowly. Hence why I would like to see Lowrance come out with some kind of 360 version. Basically then the sonar head is providing the movement required by scanning around.

I remember before I bought mine I went to a show where they had their pro giving a lecture on it and I asked him very clearly if it would work at slow speeds and stopped and he said yes absolutely. This confused me greatly because I could not figure out how it could work stationary. So it's no wonder why people think it works better than it does.