PDA

View Full Version : Kijii sale

Iskra
01-27-2016, 09:43 PM
I have just put my IPhone 5s for sale. Guy from Montreal wants to do etransfer and pay extra for shipping to his son. He will pay and then I will ship. Scam or legit? What's your opinion? Thanks

ETOWNCANUCK
01-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Scam

Sitting Bull
01-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Don't do it. Scam, Scam Scam!

Twist
01-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Scam. Run.

CNP
01-27-2016, 09:47 PM
How is it a scam? EMT is received and deposited into your account. The money is yours.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-27-2016, 09:54 PM
How is it a scam? EMT is received and deposited into your account. The money is yours.

Yup
And some Nigerian prince will make me a millionaire some day

CNP
01-27-2016, 09:57 PM
Yup
And some Nigerian prince will make me a millionaire some day

Based on the information the OP provided........how is it a scam? If you stick with what he said, a scam is not possible. Buyers sends an emt, he receives said emt and deposits it into his bank account. Deal done except for the shipping. Do you know how an emt works :)

CanuckShooter
01-27-2016, 09:58 PM
Based on the information the OP provided........how is it a scam? If you stick with what he said, a scam is not possible. Buyers sends an emt, he receives said emt and deposits it into his bank account. Deal done except for the shipping. Do you know how an emt works :)

I'd go for it...money in hand before shipping though.

Johnny G1
01-27-2016, 09:59 PM
How is it a scam? EMT is received and deposited into your account. The money is yours. X2

ETOWNCANUCK
01-27-2016, 10:02 PM

Yup
But said scam has been going on with Kijiji for along time.
And from Montreal.
Nothing new here
Happens daily
If you can't meet the person in your own city face to face be cautious

Always say if it sounds too good to be true....

sillyak
01-27-2016, 10:02 PM

It's a scam. Go to the link I have provided and go down to "overpayment scam"

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/brc/avoid-popular-scams

D4l3k
01-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Just be careful on the emt email, might redirect to some fishing website where you enter your details, then they use them to log into your bank and emt themselves your money

Very simple scam to operate

elkhunter11
01-27-2016, 10:06 PM
http://www.taigeair.com/canadian-interac-e-transfer-scam/

sillyak
01-27-2016, 10:07 PM
I'd go for it...money in hand before shipping though.

Never ever do this. It is a scam. Just because you have got money in your account does not mean you have the money, even with EMT! If that money was sent to you fraudulently (they defrauded somebody of that money) the bank will remove it from your account and you have zero recourse and you will also be out your iPhone.

Guys like you keep these guys in business.

CaberTosser
01-27-2016, 10:10 PM
I'd avoid it based on the fact that there's no reason for a person from a city the size of Montreal to have to get a used phone from Calgary, its not like that town won't have hundreds available.

J0HN_R1
01-27-2016, 10:14 PM
It could very well be a stolen/hacked bank account, which would allow the transfer long enough for you to mail the phone...

You have to be careful during ANY online transaction.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-27-2016, 10:16 PM
http://www.yousuckatkijiji.com/2012/05/everything-you-need-to-know-about.html?m=1

Sundancefisher
01-27-2016, 10:17 PM
I'd avoid it based on the fact that there's no reason for a person from a city the size of Montreal to have to get a used phone from Calgary, its not like that town won't have hundreds available.

X2

Yup. It is a scam. This is all over the Internet. Would anyone see a Sage rod ad on kijiji Montreal and send a guy $300 to it and wait for it to come in the mail?

Face to face transactions only.

Benelli1
01-27-2016, 10:23 PM
http://www.taigeair.com/canadian-interac-e-transfer-scam/

Sounds like the link Elk posted..........

elkhunter11
01-27-2016, 10:24 PM
X2

Yup. It is a scam. This is all over the Internet. Would anyone see a Sage rod ad on kijiji Montreal and send a guy $300 to it and wait for it to come in the mail?

Face to face transactions only.

I have sent $2500 for a rifle to Ontario, and waited for it to arrive, which it did in about a week. I have done about 100 transactions online through the buy&sell and the Gunnutz EE , with no issues at all. But I would not do this for a kijiji ad.

pinelakeperch
01-27-2016, 10:35 PM
Just think about it for a second. The iPhone 5 is one of the most common phones out there. I find it more than a little suspicious that he can't find a suitable iPhone 5 in the second biggest city in Canada.

Iskra
01-27-2016, 10:56 PM
Thank you guys. I did some googling and your links have helped me to, I suspected a scam and have learned a lot. Thanks

sns2
01-28-2016, 06:40 AM
CRA is insistent that they want to give me $1645 via emt too:)

Run Forrest, run!

Bigwoodsman
01-28-2016, 08:48 AM
Anyone else getting emails from Warren Buffet wanting to give you millions of dollars? All I have to do is send him my banking info.:scared0018::mad0100:

BW

silverdoctor
01-28-2016, 09:06 AM
Anyone want to count the iphones?

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ville-de-montreal/iphone/k0l1700281

There is no reason someone from Montreal needs to buy a phone in Alberta.

rosh
01-28-2016, 09:24 AM
I have just put my IPhone 5s for sale. Guy from Montreal wants to do etransfer and pay extra for shipping to his son. He will pay and then I will ship. Scam or legit? What's your opinion? Thanks

How much you asking? Locked with anyone? How many GB? Thanx

thumper
01-28-2016, 09:27 AM
I have sent $2500 for a rifle to Ontario, and waited for it to arrive, which it did in about a week. I have done about 100 transactions online through the buy&sell and the Gunnutz EE , with no issues at all. But I would not do this for a kijiji ad.

Same here. I've bought rifles and fishing gear from throughout Alberta and BC, paid by personal cheque, money order or even cash, up front, through the mail, and have never been ripped off.
However, I'd never do it on Kijiji, and never east of Saskatchewan.

elkhunter11
01-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Same here. I've bought rifles and fishing gear from throughout Alberta and BC, paid by personal cheque, money order or even cash, up front, through the mail, and have never been ripped off.
However, I'd never do it on Kijiji, and never east of Saskatchewan.

I have no problems with dealing with anyone in Canada, but I will not send money to Quebec, and I will not even purchase firearms from Quebec dealers because of the registry.

teledogs
01-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Thanks to the internet wise people on AO.

I learned something today.

Dean2
01-28-2016, 09:43 AM

x2!!!!!!!

CanuckShooter
01-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Never ever do this. It is a scam. Just because you have got money in your account does not mean you have the money, even with EMT! If that money was sent to you fraudulently (they defrauded somebody of that money) the bank will remove it from your account and you have zero recourse and you will also be out your iPhone.

Guys like you keep these guys in business.

Really...never heard of that before. The bank has no right to remove money from my accounts unless it's to pay a fee....and we would deal with them if that ever happened. I guarantee the bank steals money from my account they would not keep it.

bobtodrick
01-28-2016, 11:05 AM
Speaking as someone working for store that has a strong online presence and does hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of internet sales per year.
Fully 90% of people that attempt to scam us are from Quebec....and the 'I live here but want it shipped to a different address' is a huge red alert.
DON'T DO IT.

graybeard
01-29-2016, 08:43 AM
Run......x2

You just learned a valuable lesson that did not cost you a cent.