PDA

View Full Version : Called 911 from my cell, they knew EXACTLY my 20!

Foot Stomper
01-27-2016, 11:09 PM
The reason I called is NOT the point, but they told ME where I was!

Is that right?

I will say I called to help someone else...
I didn't expect them to know where I was...what else do they know?
I was driving... Do they know my speed? Do they know I called while driving?

How far and long is their finger up my *ss?!?!

blackmamba
01-27-2016, 11:13 PM
Ever watch enemy of the state..lol.. makes a guy wonder !!

58thecat
01-27-2016, 11:18 PM
Yes stinky finger you are watched now go wash your hands:sHa_sarcasticlol:

qwert
01-27-2016, 11:22 PM
Where do you think those roadside electronic time between intersection signs get their data?

Hunter1602
01-27-2016, 11:25 PM
Meh..

Nikanit
01-27-2016, 11:28 PM
It so they can pinpoint you using the cellphone towers and your phones GPS is on I bet

Hunter1602
01-27-2016, 11:31 PM
It so they can pinpoint you using the cellphone towers and your phones GPS is on I bet

Phone call goes out to the numbers cell provider who conducts a pin and gives a rough estimate of a triangulated calculation. If driving that estimate can be off by a bit. GPS is not required to be on to be pinged.

220swifty
01-27-2016, 11:40 PM
Last spring, for a stag party, we 'kidnapped' the groom at his house. To do this, we ambushed him coming out of his house, bagged his head and tied him up, then tossed him in the trunk of a waiting car, which we then sped down the alley. About 3 minutes later, we arrived at a nearby pub and untied the groom and ordered a round of drinks. Before that first round of drinks was finished, 4 RCMP units also arrived at the pub, and 3 officers entered, looking for the 'victim' if a kidnapping.

The caller didn't know the grooms name, so all the police had to work with was an address, and the assumption that the resident was the 'victim'. Within 10-15 minutes they had managed to find an exact location, which they said came from using the groom's cell phone. It was actually pretty unnerving.

Hunter1602
01-27-2016, 11:55 PM
Last spring, for a stag party, we 'kidnapped' the groom at his house. To do this, we ambushed him coming out of his house, bagged his head and tied him up, then tossed him in the trunk of a waiting car, which we then sped down the alley. About 3 minutes later, we arrived at a nearby pub and untied the groom and ordered a round of drinks. Before that first round of drinks was finished, 4 RCMP units also arrived at the pub, and 3 officers entered, looking for the 'victim' if a kidnapping.

The caller didn't know the grooms name, so all the police had to work with was an address, and the assumption that the resident was the 'victim'. Within 10-15 minutes they had managed to find an exact location, which they said came from using the groom's cell phone. It was actually pretty unnerving.

Did this happen at chillabongs in red deer by any chance?

220swifty
01-27-2016, 11:57 PM

Ha ha. Yep! You there?

Hunter1602
01-27-2016, 11:58 PM
Ha ha. Yep! You there?

Haha.. PM ur way..

ETOWNCANUCK
01-28-2016, 12:38 AM
Well

How often has someone called 911 only to not know where they are?

No signs, familiar surroundings, not sure of the street (s).

If I was the guy you called for, I'd be happy that they were able to locate the scene by pinpointing your location, because chances are you're right there beside me.

In an emergency minutes count, so let's put the conspiracy theories aside and be thankful they can do that.

ForwardBias
01-28-2016, 05:27 AM

That's crazy. Whoa...

Passthru
01-28-2016, 05:48 AM
Ive been told stories of rcmp finding stolen vehicles with the thief still inside because the owner of the vehicle forgot their iPhone in the stolen car. Turned on the find my iPhone app and there it is! The thieves are always suprised. Source: wife works with the rcmp

Roughneck12
01-28-2016, 06:22 AM

They do but only to a certain radius.

fenceline
01-28-2016, 06:47 AM
Mikes house was broke into and guns stuff and cell phones stolen .
Mike had the kids phone gps on for finding his kids sugest this to rcmp and
They didn't nothing to do with that ! It was the westlock detachment , no interest at all.

omega50
01-28-2016, 07:00 AM
A similar topic.
My Chef buddy started a Wine Barrel importing business in the mid-2000's.
He had some high profile chef that he flew in from France to attend a wine dinner in Niagara -on-the -lake to kick off his business.
He wants to impress so he rents the highest end BMW that he can find to transport the guest from Pearson to the event.

He decides to open this car up on the highway to see how fast it will go.
They pull into a C-store to buy some smokes and when they come out the car won't start.
They are still about 20 minutes drive to the event and running late.

Calls the rental car company to find out why the car won't start and they tell him exactly how fast the car was doing and they assumed it was stolen-so they disabled it.

Caught red-handed they will not let him continue and send a tow truck for the car.

Not quite the impression that he was hoping to make.

Meanwhile the French Chef is totally freaked out and looking to the skies to see if Big Brother is watching. He wants to leave and return home on the next flight and he assumed we are all under strict Government monitoring:)

Iron Brew
01-28-2016, 07:54 AM
Some car rental companies have been putting GPS into their vehicles. It made a big fuss a few years ago when the renters received extra billing due to the speed.

In terms of pinpointing the location of a cell on a 911 call, I have no issues with that. I have issues with the misuse of that ability instead. We know already the cell companies have a pretty good idea of where you are due to the towers.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-28-2016, 08:18 AM
Do you have a Google account? Do you use Google maps on your phone? Are you logged in when using Google maps?

Google keeps not only a history of all your web activity, but also a record of every single place you've been to, including times and duration at each place:

(Not sure if this link will bring you there. But when in Google Maps, go to menu--> history --> map history)

map history (https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?pb=!1m9!2m8!1m3!1i1990!2i0!3i1!2m3!1i2090 !2i0!3i1!2m2!6b1!7b1!3m10!1m9!2m8!1m3!1i2015!2i8!3 i30!2m3!1i2016!2i0!3i28!5m0!6b1!7m3!4m1!2i8741!7e9 4)

diamonddave
01-28-2016, 08:21 AM

Ha ha. Yep! You there?

Haha.. PM ur way..

This is the only thing interesting that has come from this thread, you should start a new post!!!!!

JB_AOL
01-28-2016, 08:22 AM
Do you have a Google account? Do you use Google maps on your phone? Are you logged in when using Google maps?

Google keeps not only a history of all your web activity, but also a record of every single place you've been to, including times and duration at each place:

(Not sure if this link will bring you there. But when in Google go to menu, history --> Map history)

map history (https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?pb=!1m9!2m8!1m3!1i1990!2i0!3i1!2m3!1i2090 !2i0!3i1!2m2!6b1!7b1!3m10!1m9!2m8!1m3!1i2015!2i8!3 i30!2m3!1i2016!2i0!3i28!5m0!6b1!7m3!4m1!2i8741!7e9 4)

Actually, apple does this as well, but apple sells the information, whereas google uses it to improve your smart phone experience (along with selling it..lol).

LeroyvdH
01-28-2016, 08:26 AM
I phoned 911 for my fil when fell down the stairs... Used my cell they asked me what city I was in??? Heck I know Medicine Hat is the forgotten corner but really

Twisted Canuck
01-28-2016, 08:27 AM
My daughter was on her way to Lacrete through Red Earth Creek a couple weeks back, and her GPS led her off the paved road into the boonies, scared the crap out of her. Sketchy cell service, but she did manage to call me that she was lost, with my youngest daughter with her....I told her to call the RCMP detachment, as I had no idea how to direct her from my living room in GP. They had her pinpointed in less than a minute, she got back to Red Earth Creek safely (glad as it was -25 that night and they didn't have much for winter gear, no matter how many times I've told them to pack it in the car).....glad they can find you when you need help. Not so glad they can track any of us with a phone at will, any time.

bobtodrick
01-28-2016, 08:43 AM

Is that right?

Just what do you think 911 is for?
So...you have are having a heart attack in your car on a lonely road at night and you just have time to pull to the side of the road and dial 911 before you pass you.
Bet you'd be glad they knew where you were then.
Again...911 is for emergencies.

Now...it's a whole other discussion about how much we are tracked in our everyday lives when we use our cellphones, or our bank cards or computers.

Foot Stomper
01-28-2016, 02:38 PM

(Not sure if this link will bring you there. But when in Google Maps, go to menu--> history --> map history)

Yup, got all that working for me! I use the data for my benefit and could care less about Google knowing where I am...they likely car less about me personally than my high school sweat heart! :mad0100:

The point of posting the thread was to bring it to everyone's attention that like it or not, the finger is getting deeper. How much should "they" know.

More to the point about 911 tracking, I'm 100% OK with their knowing the GPS location of the cell phone making the call. The thing I didn't like was how I found out... why was this not announced? Was it announced? This is definitely a new thing so why were'n we told or was I not listening?

bobtodrick
01-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Yup, got all that working for me! I use the data for my benefit and could care less about Google knowing where I am...they likely car less about me personally than my high school sweat heart! :mad0100:

The point of posting the thread was to bring it to everyone's attention that like it or not, the finger is getting deeper. How much should "they" know.

More to the point about 911 tracking, I'm 100% OK with their knowing the GPS location of the cell phone making the call. The thing I didn't like was how I found out... why was this not announced? Was it announced? This is definitely a new thing so why were'n we told or was I not listening?

Maybe you weren't listening ;)
I've known for about five years that the RCMP can track your cell...and read about it in a newspaper.

jkav
01-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Despite their ability to track our phone's location, this happened to me just a few months ago:

I was leaving a local restaurant/pub when a woman stumbled out, barely able to walk, and made her way to her car. (She'd been loudly and obnoxiously drunk, sitting at the next table.) So, I pulled out my smartphone and called 911 to report her - and then spent the next 5 minutes describing exactly where I was and the direction the driver was headed. I also provided a description of the driver and the car's make, model, colour, and license plate number.

Despite my very explicit directions, the 911 operator kept asking me for the establishment's STREET ADDRESS - which was not visible on the building. Apparently, without the street address they wouldn't be able to find my location.

This happened in the Oliver (Edmonton) Original Joe's parking lot - a couple blocks west of 124 St on 102 Ave, immediately east of the missing 102 Ave bridge over Groat Road, on the north side of the street - and yet that apparently wasn't specific enough of a location. Even though I was calling from a GPS-enabled smart phone.

In the end, I don't believe a car was dispatched. and that woman was DRUNK.

:angry3:

Okotokian
01-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Makes perfect sense that 911 can track where you are. Sometimes they get calls from kids or others who don't know exactly where they are, or are injured, etc. Don't like it? Don't call 911. Simple.

And you probably have 20 other apps on your phone where you have turned on your location services, from your weather app to maps, etc.

bruceba
01-28-2016, 03:51 PM
I know that they had a system installed in Lethbridge back in early 2002 or 2003 for their 911 call center that could tell within 5 - 10 ft of where you were
calling from.

Okotokian
01-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Although I don't know this for a fact, I suspect that even if they did know you were driving while you called, they probably wouldn't do anything about it because:

It would be hard to prove you were driving and not a passenger if no officer actually observes you, and...
Most importantly, I don't think they would want to dissuade calls of an emergency nature because people feared they might be charged with something.

justsomeguy
01-28-2016, 05:24 PM
standard with Location Services on an IPhone. There is a "find my device" app that you can see all devices associated with your account, see their location, make them beep and even wipe them clean if they're lost/stolen.

Hunter1602
01-28-2016, 06:42 PM
Although I don't know this for a fact, I suspect that even if they did know you were driving while you called, they probably wouldn't do anything about it because:

It would be hard to prove you were driving and not a passenger if no officer actually observes you, and...
Most importantly, I don't think they would want to dissuade calls of an emergency nature because people feared they might be charged with something.

In a simple answer, it's not in the publics interest to charge.
Obtaining continuity of who's the driver ext.. All in all, extenuating circumstances allow certain situations for people to "break"the law for the greater good.

michaelmicallef
01-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Just a word of caution . What ever you say on a land line , cell or other device can always be listened to. Certain key words used in sequence or various phrases can trigger an automatic red flag. At least that's what I've heard by people in the "know" so to speak. And a tinfoil hat won't help.

Okotokian
01-28-2016, 06:50 PM
Just a word of caution . What ever you say on a land line , cell or other device can always be listened to. Certain key words used in sequence or various phrases can trigger an automatic red flag. At least that's what I've heard by people in the "know" so to speak. And a tinfoil hat won't help.

no doubt. CSIS and our communications security establishment plus US security services probably scan our every electronically transmitted word or keystroke. To "stay safe from terror" we now live in a velvet gloved police state. I'm sure more is known about you than the KGB ever knew about suspect individuals in soviet Russia.

rem338win
01-28-2016, 06:57 PM
They can ping locate through cell towers. It's usually reasonably accurate, and it is protected information, meaning they need exigency to do it without a warrant. That would mean you are kidnapped (heehee), there is a serious collision, you're lost and not dressed appropriately for the weather, etc.

If you were driving and you called, good on ya; the TSA protects you when it's for the benefit of an emergency.

They can also do it if you're on the watch list due to frequent logins on sites like "thereptiliansarecoming.org" or "goviskillknguswithchemtrails.net"

....just kidding (or am I.....)

purgatory.sv
01-28-2016, 07:43 PM
fire

Foot Stomper
01-28-2016, 07:50 PM
And you probably have 20 other apps on your phone where you have turned on your location services, from your weather app to maps, etc.

previously admitted to this. not the point.

Birchcraft
01-28-2016, 07:53 PM
Can 911 or anyone else ping your phone even when you have location services disabled on your phone?

Hunter1602
01-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Can 911 or anyone else ping your phone even when you have location services disabled on your phone?

Yes

HalfBreed
01-28-2016, 08:18 PM
Interesting, sometimes getting a nickle or penny from others use can be lucrative.

Gifted Intuitive
01-28-2016, 08:30 PM
Please watch this and perceive the combined effect this brings the RCMP Firearms Program.

http://www.shotspotter.com/

purgatory.sv
01-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Ok, I watched it.

Again you do have information, but as one whom likes fire I will need more help in connecting the dots.

I am aware I am tracked.

purgatory.sv
01-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Damm they found me.

lone wolf
01-28-2016, 09:36 PM

Is that right?

Maybe loosen the band on the tinfoil hat, get your head out of your *ss and realize that this technology may save your life some day.

Foot Stomper
01-28-2016, 10:05 PM

Lonewolf... read thread..not just last post.

Hunter1602
01-28-2016, 10:29 PM
Lonewolf... read thread..not just last post.

?
So your paranoid about "them" knowing too much because you called 911.. and "they" found out your location... and you feel that's outta control?

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-28-2016, 11:05 PM
It is good to a degree that they have these capabilities
It is also good to know the loop holes around these capabilities as well
Why you say ? Because you can and you have the right.

HunterDave
01-28-2016, 11:24 PM
I'm good with them knowing exactly where I am if I call 911. If I do dial it, I probably want them to know that info especially if I'm unable to speak. If you don't want anyone to know where you are, don't dial 911.....lol.

kylelaw
01-29-2016, 01:12 AM
Watch your back !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Foot Stomper
01-29-2016, 08:27 AM
I'm good with them knowing exactly where I am if I call 911. If I do dial it, I probably want them to know that info especially if I'm unable to speak. If you don't want anyone to know where you are, don't dial 911.....lol.

Totally agree!