PDA

View Full Version : Windy, gusty day tomorrow. Will they bite?

Double-Eh
01-28-2016, 07:46 PM
Going for a perch hunt tomorrow. And maybe some pike and walleye.

Forecast all over the province is windy, gusty, nasty. I'm braving it either way because there just aren't enough days. I've been reading and reading and reading and I can't find a definitive answer so here is it:

Does the wind affect the bite under ice?

Brandonkop
01-28-2016, 07:49 PM
Going for a perch hunt tomorrow. And maybe some pike and walleye.

Forecast all over the province is windy, gusty, nasty. I'm braving it either way because there just aren't enough days. I've been reading and reading and reading and I can't find a definitive answer so here is it:

Does the wind affect the bite under ice?

No the wind doesn't, but the rapid changes in weather and barometric pressure that usually come along with wind do impact the bit.

Double-Eh
01-28-2016, 07:53 PM
Well it's my (uneducated) understanding that when it's windy, it tends to be from a drop in pressure and generally pressure drops are linked with poorer aggression. Yet I've read that walleye, for example, get more active in wind.

Anyone here speak fish, or at least perchean?

HowSwedeItIs
01-28-2016, 10:00 PM
Yet I've read that walleye, for example, get more active in wind.

I've heard that too, something about taking advantage of their superior eyesight in turbid water?

Mackinaw
01-28-2016, 10:43 PM
Well it's my (uneducated) understanding that when it's windy, it tends to be from a drop in pressure and generally pressure drops are linked with poorer aggression. Yet I've read that walleye, for example, get more active in wind.

Anyone here speak fish, or at least perchean?

The reason that walleye have a tendency to bite better in chop or wind is the light dose not penatrate the water surface as much so eyes are more active. If the wind is out of West should be ok east wind I usually stay home.

Mack

Double-Eh
01-28-2016, 10:50 PM
But I guess my question pertains more to ice fishing. Clearly the wind doesn't affect hard water in the same way. So would the only valid factor be barometric pressure?

Interestingly it's a westerly wind tommorow. So I'm hoping to put a few humpies on the plate.

PS Mack. Thanks again for the chains. I'd be lying if I said I put them on as I got busy before it got cold, then it got cold and I have no heater in the garage, then I decided to chop suey my hand and am still in gauze after all this time. Pics will be forthcoming when I finally get it done. Probably in time for rotten spring ice.

Brandonkop
01-28-2016, 11:59 PM
Actual wind only really effects open water since it pushes food to the wind swept shores, it creates turbid water and decreased light penetration. In winter none of these are true.

The only true thing is that if it is windy pull out your Windlass tip up and go catch some big pike! Cause a Windlass tip up doesn't work well if it isn't windy, haha!

It's tough to fish in strong wind so hard that it bends your line from your rod to the hole. Can't feel the bites, not fun fishing strong wind on the ice at all.

I wish you the best of luck, tell us how it went.

Talking moose
01-29-2016, 04:31 AM
Actual wind only really effects open water since it pushes food to the wind swept shores, it creates turbid water and decreased light penetration. In winter none of these are true.

This.
In summer always fish the windswept shoreline. 3-6 fow is Magic. It's not so much light penetration as it is all about where the food is.

58thecat
01-30-2016, 07:09 AM
Too choppy out, white caps etc:sHa_sarcasticlol:

You will never know unless your out there, had the experts say this and that and then bam the bite was on so get out there and fish!

trigger7mm
01-30-2016, 09:10 AM
Personally, I've had good luck on windy days when fishing open water. Especially for walleyed. The opposite is true when ice fishing, especially when there is an east wind.

Double-Eh
01-30-2016, 07:41 PM
Well the fishing was poor. Though that was the rumour about the area of late. A few perch. They were no aggressive at all. A few pike, small but decently aggressive. And the walleye were scarce but we landed every one who tried his luck.

For comparison, went out today to a different lake and the perch and pike were behaving essentially the same.

Conclusion: I still have no idea, but getting up at 4AM to fish all day beats work or sleeping in 10/10 times. Weather is a non factor. Especially with a perch and walleye victory meal.

Red Bullets
01-30-2016, 08:35 PM
The reason that walleye have a tendency to bite better in chop or wind is the light dose not penatrate the water surface as much so eyes are more active. If the wind is out of West should be ok east wind I usually stay home.

Mack

X2

Open water or ice fishing....if the wind is blowing from the east it usually means a a storm or front is coming. In my experience fish do tend to slow down on those days.

Double-Eh
01-30-2016, 10:57 PM
It was a wind from the west, but clearly that doesn't mean guaranteed bite on

Penner
02-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Wind from the east fish bite the least, wind from the west fish bite the best.

Some of the biggest fish I've ever caught and certainly the most productive catches I've ever had were on the windiest weather days, summer or winter. Cloudy and snowy even better. Best part is you usually have the lake to yourself on those days. Just ensure your prepared for the weather.