PDA

View Full Version : Best Bar Bands

schmedlap
01-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Oko's thread on "covers" got me thinking about something that seems to have died out to an extent (maybe I am wrong, but the DJ's seem to have taken over?). In ancient times (the 70's, 80's) there used to be a number of excellent entertainers who never quite made it big in the recording world, but could drive a drunken and/or "baked" crowd into a dancing and sheer joy frenzy wherever they went, playing the major bars across the land, and making their living at it. I present some of my favorites, and look forward to finding out if there are any such still left.

1) For my money (and as a Maritimer originally I am very biased) the Minglewood Band was one I would always go out of my way to see them - maybe the best bar band ever(?). I remember (among very many other occasions) going at noon to the Anvil Tavern in Wolfville, NS, in 1980, to ensure our crowd got seats (and that many hours of drinking before they came on) and having Matt cranking out the East Coast Blues from the middle of our table near the front. When I came out west they would occasionally be at the Highway Motor Inn or other bar venues in Edmonton, and we would round up lots of Maritimers and Newfs to go party with them. I have most or all of their LP's, and still play them at full crank occasionally - to the slight chagrin of my kids.

2) Dutchy Mason. A maritime legendary blues act that could get any bar crowd on its feet.

3) Doug and the Slugs. I think they were from BC (?). Amazing and talented entertainers who always gave the crowd a good time.

4) "Nick Danger". Does anyone remember this guy from Kelowna? The most amazing imitator cover band I can remember. They would do several sets from their inventory of imitation of superstar bands. They were the only ones I ever saw do Led Zeppelin, Queen, Kiss, Rolling Stones, Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, etc. Some pretty difficult stuff to imitate, all done in proper costume and accent. Just rocked the hell out of any place they played.

There were some others, of course. I got to see BB King, Dave Lindley, George Thorogood, and some other successful and renowned recording artists in bars (as opposed to concert venues) and they were fantastic experiences. But that is not the point of this. The point is who were and are now the best "bar bands". Not the millionaire recording artists. Are there any still left?

Hunter65
01-28-2016, 08:25 PM
So I grew up in Whitehorse - not a place famous for concerts. Long story short - Trooper came to town to play in the arena, and for what ever reason I didn't get a ticket (probably no $$). I went to the bar instead as I just turned legal drinking age. Around 11 or so the bar band takes a break between sets, and out of nowhere, Trooper shows up after the concert, hops on stage and does a set in the bar. It was awesome!!

HalfBreed
01-28-2016, 08:27 PM
Dayglo Abortions. Bar none.

roper1
01-28-2016, 08:27 PM
So I grew up in Whitehorse - not a place famous for concerts. Long story short - Trooper came to town to play in the arena, and for what ever reason I didn't get a ticket (probably no $$). I went to the bar instead as I just turned legal drinking age. Around 11 or so the bar band takes a break between sets, and out of nowhere, Trooper shows up after the concert, hops on stage and does a set in the bar. It was awesome!!

A 3 dressed up as a 9...:)

JimPS
01-28-2016, 08:35 PM
Matt was always good with a few drinks in a bar but you never lived unless you had some drinks with Buddy and the Boys.

The Toronto scene was probably the best but I was never there. Vancouver was cool if you were a hippy and into dope and the Collector's and such.

The Guess Who made a surprise visit in some seedy Winnipeg bar I was at once.

Calgary at that time was just a scene of bubblegumers in giant taverns like the Highlander and with bands like the Happy Feeling and such or if you had a shave and put on your best bell bottoms and went to a cabaret you could see the Stampeder's or Gary Lewis and the Playboys or some kind of crap.

I liked the Ranchman's for country rock bar bands when it first opened or the Cecil during Stampede when Diamond Joe would be a regular.

RandyBoBandy
01-28-2016, 08:41 PM
Captain Tractor is one...http://www.captaintractor.com/

:)

purgatory.sv
01-28-2016, 09:12 PM
DOA

No glass bottles‘,

And I am paying for it.

hogie
01-28-2016, 09:24 PM
Big Sugar always good to see in the bar.

HalfBreed
01-28-2016, 09:26 PM
DOA

No glass bottles‘,

And I am paying for it.

Yes

omega50
01-28-2016, 09:36 PM
Mood Jga Jga at the Zoo in Winnipeg-Queen Jealousy

Native house band Northern Exposure at the Mad Trapper -Inuvik

bessiedog
01-28-2016, 09:41 PM
I saw Prism at the bar in Barhead wayyy back... They wee good!

Trooper was way better!

My wife and I left the Sidetrack cafe in Edmonton 15min before the Rolling Stones came in and played till 2 AM

Buddy said it was incredible!

I'd love to see Daniel Radcliffe and the NightSweats

They'd be great as a bar band!

Bushrat
01-28-2016, 09:56 PM
1) For my money (and as a Maritimer originally I am very biased) the Minglewood Band was one I would always go out of my way to see them - maybe the best bar band ever(?). ?

Driving to the Atlantic Folk Festival in '81, we missed the turnoff and wound up in Halifax so we stopped at a hotel /bar downtown that was still open about 3:00am to grab more beer and ask directions. Matt Minglewood and band members just happened to be sitting there having a meal and a few beers after playing a show, getting ready to head out. Asked us if we wanted to sit and bought our burgers, fries & beer. They headed out to their bus and told us to follow them up the highway and they would point out the turn off to the festival, they were heading somewhere else. Real nice guys, thought it was pretty cool at the time .

bsmitty27
01-28-2016, 10:01 PM
Trooper and dug and the slugs!
Worked small town bar in college when the use guys came through i eill go support them any time i see their shows. Dug and the slug played for about 12 people but all 12 people were up dancing and having a blast. He is one he'll of a performer.
Brad

sns2
01-28-2016, 10:13 PM
Colin James. Good solid Canadian rocker.

Twisted Canuck
01-28-2016, 10:28 PM
Best I saw in a bar was Kim Mitchell, out in Brampton visiting a friend. He put on a good show, and was a ton of fun, even sat and had a beer with us for a minute. Good times. I'd really like to see George Thorogood and the Destroyers in a bar too, I have heard they are ridiculous and fun.

saltwater cowboy
01-28-2016, 10:42 PM
Saw Nazareth in a bar in Germany in 87 or 88.CRAZY !!!! Woke up missing a shoe ! Had a big regimental inspection the next day and puked behind my APC while the inspecting officers were 2 vehicles away and they heard me. RSM was not impressed. Got very good at peeling potatoes for that .....
Salty

bubba 96
01-29-2016, 05:24 AM
Best I saw in a bar was Kim Mitchell, out in Brampton visiting a friend. He put on a good show, and was a ton of fun, even sat and had a beer with us for a minute. Good times. I'd really like to see George Thorogood and the Destroyers in a bar too, I have heard they are ridiculous and fun.

Going to see George at grey eagle in March....should be a gooder.

Unregistered user
01-29-2016, 06:28 AM
Shelbar Riley , later became Qwest.

Talking moose
01-29-2016, 06:33 AM
Boney M. In grande prairie. Never even knew they were black until then.

ForwardBias
01-29-2016, 06:39 AM
Big Sugar always good to see in the bar.

As well as David Wilcox.

Opa
01-29-2016, 07:00 AM
The Guess Who with Burton Cummings & Randy Bachman when I lived and worked in Winnipeg!!

tirebob
01-29-2016, 08:38 AM

DOA

No glass bottles‘,

And I am paying for it.

Buy these gentlemen a beer!

Sooo many great bands back in the day... I remember we we at this busted down warehouse gig in Kelowna with I think SNFU (another super fun band live) and there were these two guys hit the stage (read as overturned fruit picking bins with plywood on top) from the Montreal scene called Dejavoodoo. Nothing but a 3 piece drum kit and a guitar and that's it. These 2 guys just destroyed the crowd!!! It was ridiculous! One of the biggest surprises at a gig ever for me...

35 whelen
01-29-2016, 08:45 AM
The Guess Who with Burton Cummings & Randy Bachman when I lived and worked in Winnipeg!!

YO BET also harlequin ,streetheart ,The 70s in the peg was some of Canadas
best music ever, the Guess used to live and practice across from my school :)

rugatika
01-29-2016, 08:47 AM
Tragically Hip. Saw them in Louis pub (campus bar) when I was going to UofS in the late 80's. They were a half decent bar band. :) Always wondered what happened to them.

mooseknuckle
01-29-2016, 08:50 AM

WOW haven't heard that name in a while. lol. We opened for them at the Edmonton ski club in like 1996ish?

bubba 96
01-29-2016, 08:52 AM
The odds, they were awesome to party with after they were done...

rugatika
01-29-2016, 08:56 AM
The odds, they were awesome to party with after they were done...

Saw Craig Northey playing on his own at some bar in Edmonton 15 or 20 years ago. Great guy, came and sat down with us after a set.

Big Bull
01-29-2016, 09:18 AM
Oko's thread on "covers" got me thinking about something that seems to have died out to an extent (maybe I am wrong, but the DJ's seem to have taken over?). In ancient times (the 70's, 80's) there used to be a number of excellent entertainers who never quite made it big in the recording world, but could drive a drunken and/or "baked" crowd into a dancing and sheer joy frenzy wherever they went, playing the major bars across the land, and making their living at it. I present some of my favorites, and look forward to finding out if there are any such still left.

1) For my money (and as a Maritimer originally I am very biased) the Minglewood Band was one I would always go out of my way to see them - maybe the best bar band ever(?). I remember (among very many other occasions) going at noon to the Anvil Tavern in Wolfville, NS, in 1980, to ensure our crowd got seats (and that many hours of drinking before they came on) and having Matt cranking out the East Coast Blues from the middle of our table near the front. When I came out west they would occasionally be at the Highway Motor Inn or other bar venues in Edmonton, and we would round up lots of Maritimers and Newfs to go party with them. I have most or all of their LP's, and still play them at full crank occasionally - to the slight chagrin of my kids.

2) Dutchy Mason. A maritime legendary blues act that could get any bar crowd on its feet.

3) Doug and the Slugs. I think they were from BC (?). Amazing and talented entertainers who always gave the crowd a good time.

4) "Nick Danger". Does anyone remember this guy from Kelowna? The most amazing imitator cover band I can remember. They would do several sets from their inventory of imitation of superstar bands. They were the only ones I ever saw do Led Zeppelin, Queen, Kiss, Rolling Stones, Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, etc. Some pretty difficult stuff to imitate, all done in proper costume and accent. Just rocked the hell out of any place they played.

There were some others, of course. I got to see BB King, Dave Lindley, George Thorogood, and some other successful and renowned recording artists in bars (as opposed to concert venues) and they were fantastic experiences. But that is not the point of this. The point is who were and are now the best "bar bands". Not the millionaire recording artists. Are there any still left?
LOL, I spent more than a few hours in The Anvil swilling draught, and saw Minglewoood, Dutchie, and Doug and the Slugs several times there and at Acadia University events. Also, blind entertainer, Terry Kelly, toured the Maritimes a lot back in those days.

Twisted Canuck
01-29-2016, 09:32 AM

Yeah, I was front and center when they played the stage at the Forks for the Pan Am Games....was great fun.

willy66
01-29-2016, 09:42 AM
Anyone remember " Click " or "Guy Jones" "Winterkill"

drizzle64
01-29-2016, 10:52 AM
Guy Jones- Alice cooper Cover, pretty good.
You probably remember White Wolf/Warrior.
Kickaxe was also awesome.
There was also a Deep purple cover band that played the Highwayman that I can't remember there name. I can remember them cranking out "Burn"

happy honker
01-29-2016, 11:17 AM
C Weed - was a great country bar band in their day, unbelievable musicians.

The Johner brothers were ok for a while.
Poverty Plainsmen.
Rocking Horse

remember "Kick Axe"...lol, pretty good band also.
Saw a lot of great bands at Georgies, Ozzy's and the Zoo in Winnipeg, but I'm bad with names.

elkslayer132
01-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Goddo at the Beacon Hotel and George Thorogood & The Destroyers at the Back Alley

Redfrog
01-29-2016, 01:20 PM
Back in the 70's Midnight Rodeo band was the 'house' band for a year or so at the Barnet Inn in Port moody on the coast. some of those guys are still playing.

I saw Bobby Bare a couple nights in a bar in Vancouver.

bruceba
01-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Shelbar Riley , later became Qwest.

Cloud - Steeler same era...

marlin1
01-29-2016, 03:00 PM
in Calgary the gig at Mikey's juke joint on saturday is pretty damn good at times . Different jammers step up . Grant is awesome on guitar . Bowness pub has live bands every weekend , no cover . Just a small pub so its hit and miss with the bands . The gig at Mikeys is free on saturdays and packed usually

Drewski Canuck
01-29-2016, 03:37 PM
What?

No one mentioning Junior Gone Wild??

Drewski

omega50
01-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Boney M. In grande prairie. Never even knew they were black until then.
Rah Rah Rasputin
Lover of the Russian Queen

omega50
01-29-2016, 04:05 PM
Oh Yeah!!!!
Crazy night
Unfortunately I got engaged that night.
What was I thinking?:sHa_shakeshout:

omega50
01-29-2016, 04:11 PM
After a successful hunting trip in 308 in the late 80's /early 90's we stopped at in the hotel Longview and a buddy told some chicks we were the Matt Minglewood Band in an effort to further our cause.
All was good until they saw a poster of the band on the wall.
Busted!!!!!

schmedlap
01-29-2016, 05:28 PM
I saw Prism at the bar in Barhead wayyy back... They wee good!

Trooper was way better!

My wife and I left the Sidetrack cafe in Edmonton 15min before the Rolling Stones came in and played till 2 AM

Buddy said it was incredible!

I'd love to see Daniel Radcliffe and the NightSweats

They'd be great as a bar band!
Saw many great acts there. At one point I had a girlfriend who was a waitress there (the tips were huge, because the Oilers et al. used to show up often). One Saturday night I went about 2:00 am to pick her up when it closed. As I was "sipping" my beer, on came "McLean & McLean" (as much of a comedy as music act, from Cape Breton) who had dropped by after their Jubilee show, and put on a private show just for the staff and friends after closing. Gary (I think?) McLean started by advising that this would not be their "toned down and polite" version. One of the funniest (and by far the most politically incorrect) things I've ever experienced.

Another memorable Sidetrack event was zydeco band Queen Ida. Awesome show that just had the place rocking.

And their food was great, to boot.

schmedlap
01-29-2016, 06:18 PM
Driving to the Atlantic Folk Festival in '81, we missed the turnoff and wound up in Halifax so we stopped at a hotel /bar downtown that was still open about 3:00am to grab more beer and ask directions. Matt Minglewood and band members just happened to be sitting there having a meal and a few beers after playing a show, getting ready to head out. Asked us if we wanted to sit and bought our burgers, fries & beer. They headed out to their bus and told us to follow them up the highway and they would point out the turn off to the festival, they were heading somewhere else. Real nice guys, thought it was pretty cool at the time .
I was an Annapolis Valley boy at the time, and it was the highlight of 4 summers in a row before I headed out west permanently in 1980. So many great and crazy stories - sex, drugs and rock & roll at its max. We Bridgetown and area folks (there would be about 50-60 of us camping out there every year) had our own reserved segment of field on the knoll behind the stage every year (which was relatively high and dry in those years when everywhere else on the site was a sea of mud), due to a friend's connection with the promoter.

So many memorable acts, headliners and others. And the Minglewood Band was always one of the highlights. The sort of event where we got loud complaints from all the campers in the vicinity when I shut down the Led Zeppelin/Jethro Tull/Pink Floyd emanating from the large speakers hooked into my "custom" (by today's standards pretty weak and primitive) van stereo and perched on top of my old Dodge van, at 3:30 - 4:00 am, so I could recharge my batteries (the van's and my own) for tomorrow.

Is it still going? I can't imagine the modern authorities (the cops, etc.) being as tolerant of the "dangerous" conditions and "socially irresponsible" environment (open drug dealing, uninspected and unlicensed food vendors, open fire pits, public insobriety, and rampant sexual exploitation?) as they were then. You had to be a real major a...hole with a very stupid and agressive attitude to cause yourself any official trouble at the time.

purgatory.sv
01-29-2016, 08:50 PM
life is good.

Habfan
01-30-2016, 09:59 AM
Kenny Shields, still going strong ! 54/40, has been doing bars forever, the Deerfoot Inn and Grey Eagle are bringing in lots of good old bands but drinks are a little more expensive than I like.

Red Bullets
01-31-2016, 01:03 AM
I remember seeing Canned Heat at the Exhibition playing on the midway, not even a stage.

I saw Rush in a pub in Thunder Bay a few months before their first album. The pub only sat maybe 60 people and it was half empty. Wow performance. I was sitting front and center about 15 feet from the stage.

Most memorable musician moments were not really performances. I was working at the Edm. Int. airport for a time in the early 70's. One day I walked and talked with Stevie Wonders from his plane to his limo. Talked for about 10 minutes.
Another time Frank Zappa came in and I had to personally organize all his group's luggage and make sure it got into his rental vans. We talked for a few minutes. He gave me a silk screened autographed poster of him on the toilet. Wish I knew what happened to that poster now.

Both Stevie and Frank gave me tickets to their concerts.