PDA

View Full Version : Metal Detecting

Angler
01-28-2016, 09:57 PM
Hello everybody!
I'm thinking of getting into a new hobby this summer.
Just looking for advice from someone who does it. What equipment do you use? Is there any rules, like where you can hunt, is everything legal to keep/sell?
Be glad to hear something from experiended folks.

Thank you!

Jeron Kahyar
01-28-2016, 10:20 PM
I tried it a couple times. Turned out to not be my cup of tea (borrowed gear). All I can remember is that if you are going to do it in a public area (parks, beach, ect.) be sure to get yourself a set of headphones.

brslk
01-28-2016, 10:24 PM
Hello everybody!
I'm thinking of getting into a new hobby this summer.
Just looking for advice from someone who does it. What equipment do you use? Is there any rules, like where you can hunt, is everything legal to keep/sell?
Be glad to hear something from experiended folks.

Thank you!

I'm not experienced in it but bought a metal detector a couple of years ago but lost interest in it.
I wouldn't mind going out there again with someone who knows a little bit more about it than I.
Let me know if you wanna do some detecting this summer.

Goater
01-28-2016, 10:33 PM
Bought a detector this summer used it once at the in-laws acreage.
Juicy fruit gum wrappers are a pain, wife and son found some coins right off and kept searching well into the night --- they are hooked!!!

calgarychef
01-28-2016, 11:41 PM
I've done it a bunch and if you're in a good spot it's fun, a bad spot sucks. Entry level machines are pretty frustrating to use, folks seem to like the high end Garrett machines. There's an XP pro that gets good reviews and it's waterproof too which can be "very" handy.

GasGas
01-29-2016, 04:16 AM
There used to be, and still may be, a Calgary Metal Detecting club..do some googling to find out.

Regardless, I've done it off and on..more of something I take to the beaches on holiday places I've gone. I have a Fisher 1280x underwater detector with hard wired waterproof headphones...It's found some cool things as far away as Honduras.

If you are looking for a good machine, you can't go wrong with anything from Garret, Fisher, MineLab..expect to spend at least $300 for anything half decent..the top end machines are over $1000.
Keep an eye on Kijiji..you usually can score good used machines from someone either upgrading or getting out of it!

Do some research on terms like ground balancing, discrimination (in regards to detectors). Some machines don't like mineralized ground, some don't like salt, some are better for minute gold...

And, yes, there are both laws regarding 'metal detecting' as well as an established 'code of ethics'...metal detectorists as a whole are generally unhappy being called 'treasure hunters' since it implies wanton destruction of land and property in the search for coins and such..
Getting permission is key to searching, and filling holes in as close to as you found the ground is paramount.

Expect to find nothing but trash. You won't be disapointed! And when you do find something cool, you'll be elated!

And you better be ok with being looked at and thought of as 'weird'. Just saying!

calgarychef
01-29-2016, 08:10 AM
There are calgary and Edmonton detecting Clubs. Calgary meets every month, I'm not sure about Edmonton. I go every month here mostly to see what others have found and to have a pint afterwards ;).

I spent a year metal detecting in England, I've found some really cool crap. Most old crap is like new garbage except it's interesting because it's old. Shoe buckles, Roman brooches, hammered coins, dagger pieces etc can all be equated to some kind of modern garbage like buckles, zipper pulls, and pennies....

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-29-2016, 09:16 AM
This can be a very profitable investment if you do the leg work
I don't remember the brand of mine and won't be able to get to it until spring but I paid about $950 for mine. The one I have I designed for gold detection along with all other metals.

The thing you will find is you will get discouraged very quickly and the best thing you can do is learn as much as you can on how to use one properly or rather use your model properly. There are many bells and whistles to fine tune and once you figure them all out for optimum efficiency it will keep your interest in tact.

I got very discouraged at first and because I spent almost a grand, I forced my self to learn how to use it properly. Watch videos, read books, ask questions

Once you obtain a certain amount of gold or other gems or minerals there will be royalties that the Alberta government will take from you. I spent two summers gold panning in rivers using my detector to find the hot spots. My detector is water proof along with the head phones. I don't remember how much royalties I had to pay exactly but I got just over two ounces of gold and had to give a cut. I think it is under 2 ounces you will get to keep.

If you are interested in the gold which I recommend especially after all the flooding in Alberta, you can obtain a permit to set up a small dredge and really rake it in if your lucky. There are rules and stipulations that go along with this if you want to do a search.

There are big rewards for hard work and it's a fun past time, I would recommend giving it a try !

Don't bother with cheap detectors and buy a good one, you won't be disappointed

Donkey Oatey
01-29-2016, 09:30 AM
This can be a very profitable investment if you do the leg work
I don't remember the brand of mine and won't be able to get to it until spring but I paid about $950 for mine. The one I have I designed for gold detection along with all other metals.

The thing you will find is you will get discouraged very quickly and the best thing you can do is learn as much as you can on how to use one properly or rather use your model properly. There are many bells and whistles to fine tune and once you figure them all out for optimum efficiency it will keep your interest in tact.

I got very discouraged at first and because I spent almost a grand, I forced my self to learn how to use it properly. Watch videos, read books, ask questions

Once you obtain a certain amount of gold or other gems or minerals there will be royalties that the Alberta government will take from you. I spent two summers gold panning in rivers using my detector to find the hot spots. My detector is water proof along with the head phones. I don't remember how much royalties I had to pay exactly but I got just over two ounces of gold and had to give a cut. I think it is under 2 ounces you will get to keep.

If you are interested in the gold which I recommend especially after all the flooding in Alberta, you can obtain a permit to set up a small dredge and really rake it in if your lucky. There are rules and stipulations that go along with this if you want to do a search.

There are big rewards for hard work and it's a fun past time, I would recommend giving it a try !

Don't bother with cheap detectors and buy a good one, you won't be disappointed

Sorry but I have to correct a few things in there.

One. The royalty on panned gold is 5% on everything over one troy ounce.

Two. You can NOT use a dredge in Alberta. You need a permit to run a sluice with several conditions but you can never use a dredge. For more information about gold recovery in Alberta go to http://www.energy.alberta.ca/minerals/1063.asp

No royalty on found gold ie watches, rings, teeth :D

You do have to be aware that some areas like Provincial Parks have different rules for metal detecting.

Have fun.

Angler
01-29-2016, 09:32 AM
There used to be, and still may be, a Calgary Metal Detecting club..do some googling to find out.

Regardless, I've done it off and on..more of something I take to the beaches on holiday places I've gone. I have a Fisher 1280x underwater detector with hard wired waterproof headphones...It's found some cool things as far away as Honduras.

If you are looking for a good machine, you can't go wrong with anything from Garret, Fisher, MineLab..expect to spend at least $300 for anything half decent..the top end machines are over $1000.
Keep an eye on Kijiji..you usually can score good used machines from someone either upgrading or getting out of it!

Do some research on terms like ground balancing, discrimination (in regards to detectors). Some machines don't like mineralized ground, some don't like salt, some are better for minute gold...

And, yes, there are both laws regarding 'metal detecting' as well as an established 'code of ethics'...metal detectorists as a whole are generally unhappy being called 'treasure hunters' since it implies wanton destruction of land and property in the search for coins and such..
Getting permission is key to searching, and filling holes in as close to as you found the ground is paramount.

Expect to find nothing but trash. You won't be disapointed! And when you do find something cool, you'll be elated!

And you better be ok with being looked at and thought of as 'weird'. Just saying!

Got it. Thank you!

Sitting Bull
01-29-2016, 12:24 PM
I bought a Tesoro entry level a couple years ago. I love the machine. Simple. I joined the Edmonton Metal detecting Club for one year. Real good bunch of guys with lots of knowledge. My problem is that work in the summer gets in the way of everything and I kind of lost interest. I still think about getting out. The nice thing about this hobby is that you do not have to spend lots to get a quality machine and you don't need trailers and trucks to haul your stuff around.:)

Twist
01-29-2016, 12:56 PM
I use a Whites Eagle II from the 90's. Dad and I have done it for about 20 years.

You can find some neat things. Old schools, churches, graveyard areas, fair grounds, old swimming spots, etc.

Enjoy it. It can be a bust some days but rather rewarding on other days.

Red Bullets
01-29-2016, 01:12 PM
I had a Garret AT Pro and found it to be a good easy to use detector. 700 bucks and came with free accessories...duffle bag, ballcap with logo, heavy duty digging trowel and good headphones. Waterproof to 10 feet deep. Easy ground balancing. Sold it to a friend that was going to winter in the south. He did have success at some beaches and in the water. Mostly modern coins and some jewelry.

Read the local history books for ideas of places to look. Lots of places now forgotten that were busy back in the day.

calgarychef
01-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Red has it right AT pro not XP pro like I said. Detecting in the water seems to be my favourite thing lately, less junk and more coins, and I'm sure jewelry there too. I'm getting the bug to get out again but I'm a fair weather detectorist.

leo
01-29-2016, 03:00 PM
I bought one because I was tired of losing arrows in the grass while target shooting. It works great, I have found every arrow.

calgarychef
01-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Couple years ago I lost 6 arrows in the stubble so I took the detector out thinking it would be no problem. I think I only found one but saw it before the detector went ding dong. I did find a musket ball in that field though so I think it's a good trade :)

Angler
01-29-2016, 07:19 PM
Thank you all for your responses!
I have a lot to think about now.

two_ker
01-29-2016, 08:22 PM
Dont wear muck boots..... with steel toes!!
Beep, step back, swing detector and nothing. Carry on, beep, step back, nothing.
This is weird. Hey dad arent your boots steel toed. Yup. Lol:sign0161:

TBark
01-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Ya same here, Garrett AT Pro, and I got the smaller 4" sniper coil head too.
Cost me about $700 too.

TBark