PDA

View Full Version : Any golf club members here?

johnnyringo
01-28-2016, 10:56 PM
I have been getting serious over the past few years and was pondering getting a membership at Country Hills GC. Talked to some friends and they said people would be giving their memberships away with the downturn. Well thats not what I found, $30k-$40k plus $4k annuals & $500 for food!! Man I guess it is a rich guys sport:( Are you happy with your memberships?
I just can't see getting my $ worth unless I'm golfing every day, even then I would get sick of the same course over & over again. I did just over 60 rounds last year at an average cost of $60 (Which is the most I ever golfed). Lots of cheaper memberships out there but not very convenient to my house.
Would be cool to get some of the die hard golfers meet up for a round or two this summer as well:thinking-006:

mooseknuckle
01-28-2016, 10:58 PM
im a member at the glendale. nice course. but i feel the old boys membership type thing is fading away. so many nice courses out there to play. but if you were try out see if they have an associate membership. less comitment.

The Fisherman Guy
01-28-2016, 11:04 PM
Look for clubs that sell memberships with equity within the club. As the economy is on the down, the memberships become less valuable and more affordable.

In 10 years time when the economy is hopefully better than now, and when you are tired of playing that course - you will be able to sell your membership, which will, like the economy, hopefully have appreciated.

bobinthesky
01-29-2016, 07:51 AM
I have a membership and it takes over 40 rounds per summer to break even at that club. I purchased the equity membership about ten years ago and it isn't worth any more today than it was then. It may go up yet and lots of longer term members than I have done well on them but it isn't a given so as far as an investment goes it can go either way.
I used to play 75 rounds per year so it was a real cost effective way to golf but I don't do that anymore since it's such a huge time commitment and I've more productive things to do. So even though I'm still a member I just don't pay my dues and get a 10 pass or just buy green fee's for the dozen or so rounds I play each summer. Playing the same course over and over again got sour after a while too and I wanted to check out other courses.

badger
01-29-2016, 08:25 AM
I am a member at Bearspaw and golf about 35 rounds per year. The equity memberships are sold at a fixed price when bought through the club but being discounted heavily in private deals by members who want out. I joined more than 20 years ago, the major benefit being able to play pretty much any time I want on short notice, and having a regular group of friends to play with. It would be cheaper to drop the membership and play wherever, but that is far less convenient for me. The private club membership is a different experience than pay and play but it does not have to be snobby. I golfed as a kid at a private course where the adult membership was divided into cliques that fought all the time.

Relatively speaking, golf memberships are very cheap today compared to replacement costs. You could not build a golf course in Calgary for what 500 memberships are selling for today. Golf is declining in popularity so it does not look like prices will rise or any new courses will be built in the near future.

deerhunter
01-29-2016, 08:33 AM
I'm a member at the BEAUTIFUL Elk Point Golf and Country Club
Only 9 holes but a great course and immaculate greens
Membership $450.00 year
Cart Fee $150.00 year
I did 116 rounds in 2014
105 rounds last year
Hope to do 150 rounds this year

:sHa_shakeshout:

Janitor Pants
01-29-2016, 08:36 AM
Like Bob mentioned earlier up, I also need about 40 rounds to make my membership break even.

Last year I played over 100 rounds on that course alone, so it was well worth it.

The things I like about having my membership is they allow me to walk on almost whenever I want, and they never charge if I bring my kinds along, even though I haven't purchased a membership for any of them. It also helps that the course has 36 holes to keep things a little bit more interesting.

Business wise, it can be a good thing to be able to get somebody onto a private course that they otherwise couldn't play.

cfricker
01-29-2016, 08:37 AM
I am a member at Bearspaw and golf about 35 rounds per year. The equity memberships are sold at a fixed price when bought through the club but being discounted heavily in private deals by members who want out. I joined more than 20 years ago, the major benefit being able to play pretty much any time I want on short notice, and having a regular group of friends to play with. It would be cheaper to drop the membership and play wherever, but that is far less convenient for me. The private club membership is a different experience than pay and play but it does not have to be snobby. I golfed as a kid at a private course where the adult membership was divided into cliques that fought all the time.

Relatively speaking, golf memberships are very cheap today compared to replacement costs. You could not build a golf course in Calgary for what 500 memberships are selling for today. Golf is declining in popularity so it does not look like prices will rise or any new courses will be built in the near future.

Beautiful course I love it out there. I worked there for three years as the irrigation tech. One of my favs around the city for sure.

dmac
01-29-2016, 11:20 AM
check kijiji for market value of club shares. the days of 40 k$ memberships are history. Annual dues and food and beverage minimums reflect what it costs to maintain a top rate club.

Mb-MBR
01-29-2016, 12:35 PM
This may not be relevant because its here in Manitoba but what we've done is there's a collective of us, anywhere from 12-18 guys that golf together and we approach various golf course for deals on green fees and we've been able to get some good deals...

Mikeysworld
01-29-2016, 01:45 PM
I have been getting serious over the past few years and was pondering getting a membership at Country Hills GC. Talked to some friends and they said people would be giving their memberships away with the downturn. Well thats not what I found, $30k-$40k plus $4k annuals & $500 for food!! Man I guess it is a rich guys sport:( Are you happy with your memberships?
I just can't see getting my $ worth unless I'm golfing every day, even then I would get sick of the same course over & over again. I did just over 60 rounds last year at an average cost of $60 (Which is the most I ever golfed). Lots of cheaper memberships out there but not very convenient to my house.
Would be cool to get some of the die hard golfers meet up for a round or two this summer as well:thinking-006:

Strathmore has a $899 trail membership for the first year and increases by $100 every year after that, or pay $99 and every 4th round is free, and you get $10 off each round and get free things from the course whether it be a a sandwich or a bucket of balls or a free glove. 25 rounds you save over a $1000, it's a little out of the way but...

deerhunter
01-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Golfed Strathmore many times when I lived in Calgary

:sHa_shakeshout:

Jack Hardin
01-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Innisfail is $2200 annually for a shareholder and if you are not a shareholder, bring your bank manager with you.

johnnyringo
01-29-2016, 10:14 PM
I have some positives & negatives:
Positives:
-Close to home
-Want to get my kids to come out with me
-Want to meet new people to golf with as my group of buddies can't always go when I can
-36 holes there so it isn't always playing the same 18 holes
-Practice facility, Harvest hills is closing and I would spend a lot of evenings just chipping & putting there (2 min drive), next closest place i can do that is Silverwing (15-20 min drive)
Negatives:
-Price, even the annuals are $4k+ (that's a lot over 10 years)
-did I say price!!
-not sure if I'll have as much time this year considering my work schedule
-if they need to do upgrades you are on the hook, happened at our friends at Silver springs. $25k for a new clubhouse
-even someone selling their annual to try out is $3800+

To me I love golf, but no that much!! I just can't get my head around the costs & I wish I lived near other courses. I am aware of all the other places you guys mentioned & they are considerably cheaper.
I guess I made up my mind :(

I'll look at other options...anyone ever use VIPGolf?

Kevwood
01-30-2016, 12:43 AM

I operate a golf course north of Edmonton and we are in the process of signing on as one of their courses. I have never used but have talked to some guys that have and they seem to be happy with it. I think it is approx $400 for the membership then you get some pretty good rates at a fair selection of courses...definitely would allow a guy to play some different tracks and wouldn't break the bank...

Badgerbadger
01-30-2016, 12:54 AM
When I lived in Calgary, they used to have a pass for all courses. It was a few hundred bucks but paid for itself after maybe 20 rounds.

Good thing was getting to play a variety of courses. I did shift work, so walk on at odd times of the day was usually no problem.

Here's a link to the city page. http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Pages/Fees-and-passes/12%20packs%20and%20Loyalty%20Program.aspx

birdee
01-30-2016, 08:00 AM
was a member on van island but cant justify the higher prices and shorter season in edmonton to pull the string here,so just play twilight rates on varying courses and practice on sat and sun mornings.:angry3:

From The Hip
01-30-2016, 08:52 AM

I have had a VIPGolf membership for 2 seasons though not last year.Value wise it is totally worth it.You pay the up front membership and you pay each time you play but at substantially discounted rates.I could play Inglewood on a weekend for less than $40 and when Shawnee slopes was still open I could play there on a weekend for $20 which is less than half any municipal course rate.The more you play the more you save.The large course selection is an added bonus as well.Throw in the amount of premium mountain courses such as Banff/Canmore courses and really is a good deal.

I was giving serious though about buying a membership last year and I almost pulled the trigger on a membership at Wintergreen which I could have gotten for $4000 from an original member including the transfer fee.The deal breaker for me was that I live on the east side of Calgary so it would be one hell of a long drive to get home after work and then to drive out to Bragg Creek after a 12 hour day of work just to play 9 holes and maybe get in 2 18 hole rounds on the weekend weather permitting.

Give some serious thought to a VIPGolf membership.

FTH

Big Bull
01-30-2016, 10:06 AM
I'm a member at Jasper Park Lodge Golf Club, and we pay around $2100/year.
Even though hotel guest get priority, we usually don't have a problem getting a tee time. Thankfully, we don't have a food and beverage minimum, as the food is not really that good there. I average about 40 to 60 rounds per season. I feel so fortunate to be able to afford to be a member there when I hear how much people pay to be members at some courses. Hoping to get a round in at Kapalua Plantation course next month!

From The Hip
01-30-2016, 10:29 AM
I'm a member at Jasper Park Lodge Golf Club, and we pay around $2100/year.
Even though hotel guest get priority, we usually don't have a problem getting a tee time. Thankfully, we don't have a food and beverage minimum, as the food is not really that good there. I average about 40 to 60 rounds per season. I feel so fortunate to be able to afford to be a member there when I hear how much people pay to be members at some courses. Hoping to get a round in at Kapalua Plantation course next month!

How nice is that Jasper course?I know it was designed by the same guy who did the Kananaskis courses but I just cant remember his name?Is it worth the long drive from Calgary to play it?

To the OP....right now there are 7 pages worth of classified ads on Kijiji in and around Calgary for both equity memberships and designate seasonal memberships including a bunch for country hills.Maybe get a seasonal membership and try it out to see if it is right for you without taking on the financial burden of buying an equity membership.

FTH

Zip-in-Z
01-30-2016, 10:59 AM
Home is next to the Sylvan Lake G&CC's 18th green, I buy the Senior "No Weekends" Restricted Membership, it's an easy walk no need for a cart. The club has a promo if you buy before X-Mass the rate is $720. otherwise it's just under $1K. Got 76 rounds in, cost was in the order of $9.48 for 18 holes. Between Calif & home, it was 109 rounds, handicap went down to a 6.7, unfortunately, due to a back injury in Sept had a 3 week lay up. This year they didn't increase the price, hope to see 100 or more rounds this summer and maybe break par.

Big Bull
01-30-2016, 11:06 AM
How nice is that Jasper course?I know it was designed by the same guy who did the Kananaskis courses but I just cant remember his name?Is it worth the long drive from Calgary to play it?

To the OP....right now there are 7 pages worth of classified ads on Kijiji in and around Calgary for both equity memberships and designate seasonal memberships including a bunch for country hills.Maybe get a seasonal membership and try it out to see if it is right for you without taking on the financial burden of buying an equity membership.

FTH

Jasper Park Lodge Golf Course is beautiful, and very "friendly", with wide open fairways. Every hole frames an amazing mountain view. It was designed by Stanley Thompson. The Kananaskis courses were designed after his time. He did design the original Banff Springs course, and a course in Calgary, as well as many others in Canada.
http://courses.stanleythompson.com/courses?mode=name&region=Western+Canada

57charlie
01-30-2016, 02:03 PM
This is why I love living in small town Alberta. I enjoy a membership at one of the more scenic & toughest 9 hole tracks (Mannville Riverview GC) in the province for $550.00/yr plus $200/yr for tracking fee & shed rental. Between working & Alberta's short golfing season I'm fortunate enough to get in on average 100 rounds/yr. This is affordable golf.

http://www.panoramio.com/user/590885

57charlie
01-30-2016, 02:14 PM
I appreciate that Stanley Thompson did design some great golf tracks but the Jasper Park Lodge Course isn't one of them. Yes, the scenery is great but the course & conditioning is somewhat ordinary. I realize that this comment may offend some but there is far better value else where in the province of Alberta for your golfing dollar than what is on offer at Jasper Park Lodge.

http://www.panoramio.com/user/590885

birdee
01-30-2016, 08:59 PM
well charlie maybe you should argue that with jasper park lodge golf course
Course Designer: Stanley Thompson
Holes: 18
Course par: 71
Length: 6,663 yard
http://www.fairmont.com/jasper/golf/
:argue2:

birdee
01-30-2016, 09:14 PM
or wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Thompson
so which course you work at or trying to promote
:thinking-006::thinking-006:
all 9 of your comments are to give someone lessons
or miss informed information.Do you research before you comment:sign0161:
:bad_boys_20:

johnnyringo
01-30-2016, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=

FTH[/QUOTE]

I've been contacting some of the guys selling but they are pretty set on their numbers. $3600 for a year trial and not much room to budge (so they say). I'll wait till things get closer to spring & see if i can get it a bit cheaper. It's amazing how much the prices differ in town as opposed to out of town. Nanton, Innisfail & High River are a fraction of the costs compared to here.

Played a lot of courses in Ab but have never played Jasper. Banff was nice but no where worth the $$ in my opinion, luckily I played for free in a tourney. Nothing beat K-country for cost/scenery & condition IMO!!

From The Hip
01-31-2016, 09:35 AM
I've been contacting some of the guys selling but they are pretty set on their numbers. $3600 for a year trial and not much room to budge (so they say). I'll wait till things get closer to spring & see if i can get it a bit cheaper. It's amazing how much the prices differ in town as opposed to out of town. Nanton, Innisfail & High River are a fraction of the costs compared to here.

Played a lot of courses in Ab but have never played Jasper. Banff was nice but no where worth the $$ in my opinion, luckily I played for free in a tourney. Nothing beat K-country for cost/scenery & condition IMO!!

It is apples to oranges for golf courses an hour outside the city.You can get a membership in Nanton super cheap and the yearly dues are just as cheap.If you get 20 rounds in your dues are covered and it is a pretty nice course.

I echo your sentiment about the Banff course,it is vastly overpriced IMO but it is not marketed toward Alberta residents.Tourists are the market,tourists who will stay in hotels and spend even more money.

FTH