PDA

View Full Version : Access on Crawling Valley Resevoir

RMauthe
01-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Thinking about heading to CVR tomorrow. Never iced fish there before.

Just found out that one buddy has hurt his leg and will not be able to walk much. Are there any access points to drive on the lake?

Based on looking at google maps, I was thinking about heading past the campground, over the dam and coming back around on the east side. It looks like you should be able to drive right up to the lake there.

Any suggestions on lake access would be much appreciated.

PlayDoh
01-29-2016, 10:55 AM
You can get over there, but I've honestly never seen anyone ice fish over there. Sometimes by the islands on the main lake side. Yet you can just drive there from the boat launch.
Most people get on the water through the campground and down the old boat launch. Most people fish close to there, from the dam and north just past the boat launch on the West side. Some go to the north end, but IMO its all the same.
I'm assuming you might not of thought the access through the campground was open, but its open all year. They don't close the gates at night, like in summer.

Newellknik
01-29-2016, 11:08 AM
But after this heat wave ....pretty dicey ......that SE side pretty
Shallow . Your better up in the NW .Even under cold conditions
That lake I believe is iffy to drive . Off that old campground
Boat launch will be a sewer , you don't have to walk out far
From that launch for pike ...stay safe

dsoucy
01-29-2016, 12:11 PM
There have been posts about cvr in the past Month about trucks falling in enter at the campground and stay away from shore the back areas around the islands are the worst spots......going to be there this weekend...happy fishing

Bigmountainrider
01-29-2016, 04:31 PM
Yes east shore has the spring, so walk on only if your heading to that side.

RMauthe
01-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the information. Let you know how it goes.:bad_boys_20:

RMauthe
01-31-2016, 06:03 AM
Went out to CVR yesterday. We decided to access the lake from the east side. Drove over the dam, crossed the canal at Range Road 222 and then followed that back right up to the lake. The last part of that trail is fairly rough amd a 4x4 would be required if there was any more snow on the ground. We walked out from there but you could drive on there and we did see a truck drive on the ice from that spot. We fished as deep as 28 FOW and up to 9 fow. Fishing was slow.... We caught three pike and one walleye - all were caught on the active jigging rod. Ice was a solid 18 inches everywhere we drlled. We saw numerous vehicles out on the ice.

dsoucy
01-31-2016, 07:40 AM
Nice thanks for the info we are heading out today ..

Habfan
01-31-2016, 08:12 AM
I came across a boat ramp by accident once in the boat that was on the East side and more North than the main West launch. Not sure how you access it from land.
Drive across the dam !