PDA

View Full Version : Catching Marlin

bubba5794
02-16-2009, 03:55 PM
This is our first time to Mexico and we have been counting down the days till we went fishing. It sarted at 6:30 am heading out in a 40 ft cruiser as we were a little nervous about being sea sick (from all the stories we had heard), but we had bought some motion sickness patches that worked great, there was no sickness, It was about 8:30 when the first marlin latched on, I sat in the chair and started to bring him in as it was a adrienilen rush, feeling the power of that big fish. http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/bubba5794/Mexico%202009/Mexico201.jpg
I have caught some 4-5 foot stergeon before but this was POWER comming from this fish. It only took me 30 min to bring it in but it felt like a hour or more. I couldn't have been happier catching this 8 foot 100 lbs striped marlin.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/bubba5794/Mexico%202009/Mexico223.jpg

About 45 min later we latched onto another one, this time my wifes turn, she fought it and played with it as we still didn't know what it was as it hadn't surfaced yet, but the way it was fighting we knew it was something good.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/bubba5794/Mexico%202009/Mexico213.jpg
It finally jumped out of the water at the crew got excited as they said it was a blue marlin witch we found out later that it is rare to catch a "blue marlin"
Tammy thought she had it much closer to the boat, but when it jumped out it was about 600 yards out yet. Here is a video that I was lucky to catch.
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/bubba5794/Mexico%202009/?action=view&current=JumpingMarlin.flv
When she finally brought it in we were all excited as it was much larger than mine. It was a 8'2" and 200 lbs blue marlin.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/bubba5794/Mexico%202009/Mexico220.jpg
Here is a picture of both of them hanging back at the dock.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/bubba5794/Mexico%202009/Mexico316.jpg

We had a blast and can't wait until we can experince that again!!!!!

Big.Bear
02-16-2009, 04:00 PM
nice pictures and video, looks liek a blast!

HotHook
02-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey bubba5794
Nice marlin,looks like they put up a real good fight.
I am leaving on thursday for Cancun for a couple of weeks.I was wondering where you were fishing out of in Mexico.
If it was Cancun,could you give me a little information of the name of the Charter boat,costs etc.
Congratulations to you and the wife on a couple of nice fish.Thrill of a lifetime.
HotHook

FisherAlex
02-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Great pics, looks like it was a blast. I'm headin to Dominican in march and the girlfriend got me a deep sea fishing trip for valentine's day. I'll be goin solo as she gets sea sick, but I can't wait to go.

Rockymtnx
02-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Hey bubba5794
Nice marlin,looks like they put up a real good fight.
I am leaving on thursday for Cancun for a couple of weeks.I was wondering where you were fishing out of in Mexico.
If it was Cancun,could you give me a little information of the name of the Charter boat,costs etc.
Congratulations to you and the wife on a couple of nice fish.Thrill of a lifetime.
HotHook

HotHook
I am not sure where bubba5794 was but hopefully he will tell us.
I just wanted to let you know about these guys. I have been with this company in Cancun a couple of times. www.fishingcharterscancun.com
They are great! Last time around we hooked 9 sailfish in 5.5 hours. I would use them again and again.

HotHook
02-17-2009, 05:52 AM
HotHook
I am not sure where bubba5794 was but hopefully he will tell us.
I just wanted to let you know about these guys. I have been with this company in Cancun a couple of times. www.fishingcharterscancun.com
They are great! Last time around we hooked 9 sailfish in 5.5 hours. I would use them again and again.

Hi Rockymtnx
bubba5794 sent me a pm.They were fishing on the Pacific coast of Mexico.
I will print out fishingcharters cancun and contact them when I get down to Cancun.
Thanks for the heads up.Hopefully I will have some pictures to post in a couple of weeks.
HotHook

rhuntley12
02-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Congrats! I went fishing for a day in Jan when I was down in Manzanillo. Had no luck unfortunately, just some tuna. We did have a sailfish hit out bait but didnt get the hook, was pretty amazing seeing it though! Saw another boat reeling one in, amazing seeing them jump

BTK
02-17-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm so jelous! I've been deep sea finshing 8 times and never caught a marlin sailfish, tuna, rooster fish nothing! Have caught some barracuda and snapper 30 lbs amber jack, but no biggies. I think the problem is that peak season there is from may to november and who wants to go south when its warm there.
I think the soon to be wife and I are going to go back to Costa Rica for a 5-7 day fishing trip. I want to catch a fish thats gonna peel 1/2 mile of line off in about 1min. and have me begging for mercy after a couple of hours.:lol:

Anybody been on a trip like that down south?

Mark
02-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi Bubba

Where were you in Mexico? I"ve fished out Puerto Vallarta a couple of times, but never had that kind of sucess. Planning to go to Mexcio in at the end of March/beginning of April. Your location could definately influence our location choice.

Rockymtnx
02-17-2009, 03:19 PM
HotHook
If you PM me your email address I will email you a little map so its easier to find them.

I think the problem is that peak season there is from may to november and who wants to go south when its warm there.

It was February 21 that we hooked the 9 sailfish in one morning. So not really peak season. On our way out of the harbor we gave the captain a tip and told him, "You know how this works, you put us on the fish and there will be more when we get back." Sure enough he worked extra hard to put us on the fish.

-JR-
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Hey Hothook ,its a small world . Heading out to Cancun myself thursday morning stright threw -via Edmonton
Have to wet a line also in some open water !

HotHook
02-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey JR
Yes it is a small world.I will be leaving Edmonton thursday morning at 10 am.
Flying skyservice.I will be sitting in seat 32D.My daughter and grandaughter will be sitting in the same row as me.
My grandaughters(7 years old) first plane ride so I had to book a window seat as she does not want to miss anything.
If you are on the same flight,drop bye and say hello.
I will be the old guy eyeballing the stewardesses but can't remember why I am doing it.Or for what reason.
Cheers
HotHook

bubba5794
02-18-2009, 07:32 AM
I was in Manzaillo, great place, not very touristy, it is were the mexicans go for there holidays, great place highly recomended.

-JR-
02-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I am on the same flight ,except i pact a lunch to the smorg:lol:

SuCraM
02-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Cool nice fish. The one and only marlin i caught was out of puerto vallarta. It was 108 ( 9 feet 1 inch) inches and around 200 pounds. Here is a link to a pic of it. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8736&id=608082820#/photo.php?pid=175933&id=608082820

ub3rst4r
02-19-2009, 07:00 PM
I was in playa del carmen and went fishing there in late december ... the day we were suppose to go, we woke up at like 7 or 8 and the guy never showed up and we planned the whole day around it. so we ended up going on it the next day, there was about 10 foot waves and there was lots of wind. we were out for about a half hour and got sea sick so we just decided to come back. we didnt catch anything and didnt get our money back. too bad we didnt know when fishing season is