PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Minnewanka

MikeGreenstein
01-31-2016, 11:55 AM
Has anyone open water fished Minnewanka in the last year or so? I'm thinking of trying a different summer lake for lakers instead of walleye and pike.
Thanks

TROLLER
01-31-2016, 01:15 PM
Lots to think about as well as learn about that lake.

First you may know or not it is a no bait lake. 90% of the fisherman jig a large tube skirt over a lead free jig. No lead allowed under 3 ounces.

Average fish seems to be in the 5 lb range but there are some nice 20 plus you have to be patient for sure.

My advise to new to the lake guys is just watch and follow the guide boats they will give you some idea as to area's.

sanjuanworm
01-31-2016, 04:59 PM
I fished it twice last year late summer. Lots of fish on sonar. Not even a sniff.

Beautiful lake. Asian tourists don't know what a boat launch is. They stand in the way.

-JR-
01-31-2016, 05:03 PM
I fished it twice last year late summer. Lots of fish on sonar. Not even a sniff.

Beautiful lake. Asian tourists don't know what a boat launch is. They stand in the way.

I also fished it last year with down riggers. A lot of fish in sonar following lures but as soon as they sniffed the hook back down they went.

EZM
01-31-2016, 05:09 PM
I fished it last spring ...... water was very low. Very few fish on Sonar or me - side imaging, deep, shallow, all over the lake ..... put on miles and miles ......... to get one fish (maybe 6lbs) on the last hour of our outing.

The few schools I found were not interested in my buzz bomb, big tube jig, etc... while jigging and wouldn't take anything trolling off downriggers except or the last one which bit a spoon straight back of the rigger.

sanjuanworm
02-01-2016, 09:19 AM
I have a new downrigger this year as the manual one wasn't very fun with a 15lb ball. I heard the only time they are really catchable is in the spring.

Harvo
02-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Has anyone had any luck fly fishing there?

-JR-
02-01-2016, 11:09 AM
I have a new downrigger this year as the manual one wasn't very fun with a 15lb ball. I heard the only time they are really catchable is in the spring.

I built a longer crank hand on my Cannon down riggers ,and raised the bases 2 inches so not to bang my knuckles.
15 ib balls feel like a 4 lb ball now .

MikeGreenstein
02-01-2016, 11:42 AM
Has anyone had any luck fly fishing there?

That would be a blast. I can't see why that wouldn't work with the deep line.

clarki
02-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Try a Kamooki Smartfish. They contain no lead and Lakers love them!!

M

kevinhits
02-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Has anyone open water fished Minnewanka in the last year or so? I'm thinking of trying a different summer lake for lakers instead of walleye and pike.
Thanks

Check your PM

Salmon Slayer Lenny
02-01-2016, 02:57 PM
Thanks

This is too funny, I was going to post this exact question today! Good thing I did a search first!

For those of you trolling with downriggers, what set up were you using? At Cold Lake I've had really good luck trolling a small dodger with a 3' leader to 3" Coyote spoons. Was thinking small squirts or hootchies might be good as well.

Salmon Slayer Lenny
02-01-2016, 03:00 PM

Just curious why you would use 15 lb balls? That large is more for fast current, being really deep or trolling quite fast. For the most part, 8 lbs should be sufficient and easier on the arms. I've got electrics and will often only use 10 lbers in a lake vs 15's on the coast.

Bigmountainrider
02-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Also be carefull of the lake as it builds quickly. Sometimes getting off the lake means the nearest shore, not the boat launch.