PDA

View Full Version : cost of stockpond

darr
01-31-2016, 02:09 PM
would like to dig a pond this spring,and just wondering if anybody could give me a price on excavation they have already done.if any contractors read this and are looking for work,a ballpark figure would be great.specifics are: bare land on hillside,clay soil,100'x60'x12' thanks for any replies.

fish99
01-31-2016, 07:00 PM
should go deeper like 20 feet if you want fish to over winter and not summer kill on hot windless days

CMichaud
01-31-2016, 07:21 PM
If you are on CGN, a guy posted a whole threads with pics on his epic build

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/736671-Making-a-trout-pond-(Update)/page24?highlight=pond

darr
02-01-2016, 12:26 PM
thanks for the info and advice guys.hopefully more information from others yet to share.would appreciate it greatly!

Stubb
02-01-2016, 12:36 PM
I'm looking at doing the same thing but was going 80'x120'x20' and have got quotes ranging from 17-25 grand to do the excavation. That was stripping the top soil, digging the hole, spreading the dirt around the dugout and placing top soil back on. Originally I was hoping to spend 10 grand on the whole project.... looks like I was WAY off.

darr
02-01-2016, 05:02 PM
dang!! guess its more than i thought!maybe 3 feet by 4 feet and some koi might be a little more in our price range!!

darr
02-01-2016, 05:11 PM
hey stubb.just wondering who quoted you.if im not overstepping bounds,or asking another man too much of his personal business.just curious.

curtis_rak
02-01-2016, 06:26 PM
The house we bought a few yrs ago had a pre-existing pond. It's about 25' wide x 50' long by 12' deep (was 14' deep but it's slowly filling in due to how steep the banks are)

I bought and installed a year-round aerator and I dye the water to keep the algae and weeds out. Then stocked about 40 rainbows (most at about 8" long) in Fall of 2013.

Yesterday I pulled a 6lb trout out of it thru the ice...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160202/6ee26cb0497a0efa46f28e57ad5b0dbd.jpg

A small pond like this is really tricky to maintain and manage mainly because the placement of the aerator, timing of when it runs and doesn't run, summetrtime heat waves and super cooling in the winter are all things I have to worry about constantly. I bigger, deeper pond with properly sloped banks is less finicky.

My next pond, one day, will actually have some thought put into it when I build it.

But in the meantime the fruits of my efforts are trophy sized rainbows. Having a stocked pond is a lot of fun

densa44
02-01-2016, 10:08 PM
You were allowed to "dig" a dugout with explosives, it wasn't hard at all. For the old hard rock miners out there you only need one stick/hole and the holes could be 4' apart. The idea was you drilled, actually augured the holes, wired them up and waited until the wind was right and blowing hard, then let her go.

Kind of fun too.

As far as depth was concerned, if you used too much powder you could put a house in the hole. I think the dynamite was 60% forcite.

You even got a rebate from the province if you were going to use it to water your stock.

I hate to think what would happen if you tried to buy a box of sticks and a couple of bags of Amex.

Times change, but it is quick, cheap and easy.

dmcbride
02-01-2016, 10:34 PM
You could also talk to the county or oil field companies. They sometimes are looking for fill to build roads and such.

Stubb
02-02-2016, 08:20 AM
hey stubb.just wondering who quoted you.if im not overstepping bounds,or asking another man too much of his personal business.just curious.

Sent PM

Sooner
02-02-2016, 08:58 AM
You could also talk to the county or oil field companies. They sometimes are looking for fill to build roads and such.

Growing up our city neighbors had a farm and the county was paving the gravel road. They got a huge dugout for free less the water as they needed fill dirt and clay for the road. And while it was stocked, they produced some wicked sized trout too. Now they have all passed and the dugout hasn't been stocked for years.

bucksman
02-02-2016, 10:02 AM
there was a company look for clay fill when we lived at our old acreage and they came and dug it for free