PDA

View Full Version : pigeon lake derby?

happyfisher
02-01-2016, 07:17 PM
i was just asked by a buddy about a fishing derby at pigeon lake for the hard water? is there one?

any info is great...thanks

Soiler
02-01-2016, 07:20 PM
That'd be great but I haven't heard of 1 around here for years.....

happyfisher
02-01-2016, 07:52 PM
how about a newell derby...is there one of those....or gull?

never done a derby....

tnx

Soiler
02-01-2016, 08:25 PM
The Monkey Top Saloon just had their annual derby on Gull last weekend....

happyfisher
02-01-2016, 08:33 PM
ewwwwwww......any other derbies?

carlson
02-01-2016, 08:45 PM
I'd like to take part in a fishing derby out here!

happyfisher
02-02-2016, 04:20 PM
as in the topic above....pine has one ill b going...☺

PlayDoh
02-03-2016, 09:54 AM
I can't imagine Derbies are anything but destructive to a fishery now a days. I understand the appeal of competition but the images of the lake with hundreds and hundreds of people on the ice scares me. It's like carpet bombing the fish.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160203/d1c49e9a07d615e7207b8ed29777776f.jpg

Soiler
02-04-2016, 10:21 PM
There used to be a big derby years ago like that on Pigeon then Gull. 1500 fisherman for 3 hrs in the aft..... A few decent fish were always caught but on the whole, you were lucky to catch anything more than a buzz... They had oxygen generation tanks for the fish for a good release.....Always had a great time tho, sat around the fire pit in the line up all night. Ah, good times!

mossyfoot
02-05-2016, 02:57 AM
Used to be fun as hell great prizes good cause you knew where your money went until the no bait rule lol. What is it don't even bother bringing it in if its not 34 inch First year nothing close to that caught so prize money went to a draw with the registrants. First draw buddy was caught with bait and disqualified lol there goes 2 grand. I fished it two years back to back before the bait ban Won it the first year and was 2nd after day 1 the second year. Fun as hell in my eyes when you can phone in at any time and see where your sittin. To bad Alberta fish and game or whoever controls this **** is worried about pike, killin all the elk at suffield and killing every mule deer that's within 30 km of sask

waterninja
02-05-2016, 09:43 AM
I was at the last big derby at Pigeon lake quite a few years ago. Think it was called "Super Ice". I remember hundreds of anglers (thousand?), and only one fish was caught all day. Grand prize winner of a brand new half ton truck was claimed by a fellow who ran to weigh in tent with a 3" perch in a coffee cup. They drew tickets for all the other prizes.

PlayDoh
02-05-2016, 12:43 PM
I was at the last big derby at Pigeon lake quite a few years ago. Think it was called "Super Ice". I remember hundreds of anglers (thousand?), and only one fish was caught all day. Grand prize winner of a brand new half ton truck was claimed by a fellow who ran to weigh in tent with a 3" perch in a coffee cup. They drew tickets for all the other prizes.

Classic. Would love to see the prize pictures. lol.

Talking moose
02-05-2016, 12:45 PM

I remember that year. The one fish year... Lol

fish99
02-05-2016, 09:14 PM
that was best derby for our family over the years we won 2 Yamaha quads, tackle boxes, 1650 lund boat and trailer 40 hp Yamaha motor, micro wave , watch, and 9.9 hp Yamaha motor . wish the derby would be run again, the gear is getting old lol.