PDA

View Full Version : eagle lake

RLT
02-05-2016, 08:28 AM
going to eagle lake tonight haven't been here since before Christmas just wandering what the ice condition is (thickness and snowpack if any)and if people are still driving on
thanks

johndeeretimex
02-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Last weekend when i was there the ice was 1 1/4 foot deep i would say and guys where speeding across it in there 2500

Bemoredog
02-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Can confirm. Was there last weekend as well and people were driving all over the ice. To give you an idea of the depth, here's a video of me testing out an auger drill attachment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds9-ZB-xwQA

The ice is basically as long as the shaft on the auger, which is around 20 to 25 inches (I say 15 inches on the video, but according to the auger measurements I'm wrong).

*Edit: Didn't catch **** though. Drilled several holes and moved quite a bit. Started at 4am and fished until 11am. Saw fish on sonar but no bites. Was using minnow and smelt, pickerel rig on my tip up and glow jig on my rod. Nada. Was disappointing.

RLT
02-05-2016, 10:12 AM
thanks for the info
how does that drill attachment work? was thinking of doing that to but heard that an 8"auger is to hard on the drill and will burn it out what type of drill you using and would you recommend it?

Thanks

Bemoredog
02-05-2016, 10:47 AM
thanks for the info
how does that drill attachment work? was thinking of doing that to but heard that an 8"auger is to hard on the drill and will burn it out what type of drill you using and would you recommend it?

Thanks

I use this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/sports-rec/fishing-accessories/ice-fishing/augers/electric-ice-drill-adapter-0788167p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

Just order it online and go pick it up. You can get them on Ebay too, some with discs to prevent the auger from falling down the hole. You could also rig up your own system with a float or strap. I haven't done this yet and haven't had issues. I do check the attachment frequently though.

I'm using a Mastercraft Maximum drill with 20 volt lithium ion batteries. It works OK, not the greatest. I have a 6 inch auger I want to try and see if it's better. The main challenge is that the batteries have an overcharge safety circuit that will stop the drill. You can see this happen a few times during the video. It's annoying but that's about it and I can avoid it if I don't drill too aggressively.

My batteries are only 2 amp hours. I'd recommend taking a single 4 amp hour battery pack instead. Augering may burn out the drill but I'm not super concerned about that since the Mastercraft Maximum line of tools have lifetime warranties. If it breaks down, you take it back to CTire and it gets replaced. The major downside to the Mastercraft drill is low torque, since this is what is really needed for augering. These drills on sale are a hell of a deal and come with a driver, two batteries and a charger. It wouldn't be my first choice for augering, but I originally bought it for home improvement.

The best drills for augering are at least 18 volts, have at least 2 amp hour batteries, are brushless and have 400 ft/lb of torque. I'd recommend a 20 volt with a 4 amp hour and brushless motor and 450 ft/lb torque. If using a hammer drill, turn off the hammer function. It will wreck your auger blades.

The Milwaukee Fuel drill gets a lot of rave reviews for augering. It has incredibly long battery life and tons of torque (750 ft/lbs or so). The thing is it's pricey. Almost better off getting a gas auger since many are cheaper. So if you go this route you're doing it for mobility reasons. Link here: http://cf-t.com/product/milwaukee-2603-20-m18-fuel-1-2inch-drill-driver/?gclid=CjwKEAiArdG1BRCLvs_q-IObwxMSJACXbLtzTEOKvOwQ4C6Oo5xksDZd4VU-XZlfjlW7w9VeGV-j5RoCN3bw_wcB

However, a driver like this would be a good value proposition, especially if it goes on sale: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-20v-brushless-drill-driver-0547160p.html#.VrTfEbIrKUk

It has good torque, is brushless, decent batteries and you have the maximum warranty.

Edit: Apparently the Mastercraft Maximum warranty length varies by store/region/item.

RLT
02-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Thanks again for the info bemoredog

bubba 96
02-05-2016, 12:29 PM
I use this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/sports-rec/fishing-accessories/ice-fishing/augers/electric-ice-drill-adapter-0788167p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

Just order it online and go pick it up. You can get them on Ebay too, some with discs to prevent the auger from falling down the hole. You could also rig up your own system with a float or strap. I haven't done this yet and haven't had issues. I do check the attachment frequently though.

I'm using a Mastercraft Maximum drill with 20 volt lithium ion batteries. It works OK, not the greatest. I have a 6 inch auger I want to try and see if it's better. The main challenge is that the batteries have an overcharge safety circuit that will stop the drill. You can see this happen a few times during the video. It's annoying but that's about it and I can avoid it if I don't drill too aggressively.

My batteries are only 2 amp hours. I'd recommend taking a single 4 amp hour battery pack instead. Augering may burn out the drill but I'm not super concerned about that since the Mastercraft Maximum line of tools have lifetime warranties. If it breaks down, you take it back to CTire and it gets replaced. The major downside to the Mastercraft drill is low torque, since this is what is really needed for augering. These drills on sale are a hell of a deal and come with a driver, two batteries and a charger. It wouldn't be my first choice for augering, but I originally bought it for home improvement.

The best drills for augering are at least 18 volts, have at least 2 amp hour batteries, are brushless and have 400 ft/lb of torque. I'd recommend a 20 volt with a 4 amp hour and brushless motor and 450 ft/lb torque. If using a hammer drill, turn off the hammer function. It will wreck your auger blades.

The Milwaukee Fuel drill gets a lot of rave reviews for augering. It has incredibly long battery life and tons of torque (750 ft/lbs or so). The thing is it's pricey. Almost better off getting a gas auger since many are cheaper. So if you go this route you're doing it for mobility reasons. Link here: http://cf-t.com/product/milwaukee-2603-20-m18-fuel-1-2inch-drill-driver/?gclid=CjwKEAiArdG1BRCLvs_q-IObwxMSJACXbLtzTEOKvOwQ4C6Oo5xksDZd4VU-XZlfjlW7w9VeGV-j5RoCN3bw_wcB

However, a driver like this would be a good value proposition, especially if it goes on sale: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-20v-brushless-drill-driver-0547160p.html#.VrTfEbIrKUk

It has good torque, is brushless, decent batteries and you have the maximum warranty.

Edit: Apparently the Mastercraft Maximum warranty length varies by store/region/item.

They are also available it bass pro, cabellas, wholesale sports..

highrockslayer
02-05-2016, 12:55 PM
planning to go there tomorrow as well. what part of the lake do they usually bite? never been before. also assuming 10 to 15ft of water is where they would be too.

thanks

Bemoredog
02-05-2016, 02:54 PM
http://imgur.com/hQxBQE2

The red circle is the access point I used. There might be others but it was pitch dark and I didn't bother looking around.

Red triangle is the area I fished. There were fish but no bites. Depth was between 12 and 15 feet. Water is murky. Smells interesting.

The green rectangle is where I saw a lot of people set up before I left at 11am. Mixture of shacks, people in vehicle and tents.

The yellow circles are where I suspect you'd find a lot of fish. hard to say though since we're in late winter now so fish should be deep. However, since this lake seems pretty uniformly shallow it might not matter.

highrockslayer
02-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Thanks, this is great info! looks like it will be a bit windy today but we will brave it either way!

TROLLER
02-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Was there earlier this week and the CO was on the ice.

I asked if it was true a zero walleye at Eagle next season and he said both zero walleye and zero pike at Eagle lake next season.

I found that good news as I never keep fish and this will leave me more room to fish next year, Getting awful busy out there most days.

Bemoredog
02-09-2016, 08:29 AM
I'd be happy if all the lakes within 150km of Calgary were catch and release only, at least for a few years to allow stocks to replenish.

I love catching what I eat, but in all honesty the fun is in the catch, not so much the eating.

The other option would be to enhance Alberta's fish stocking program, which would mean more expensive licenses. I'd be OK paying $100 a year for a license if it doubled Alberta's fish stocking program though.

Newellknik
02-09-2016, 04:38 PM
You have to have a death wish to eat anything out
Of that sewage lagoon . Feedlot drainage system .

Kings
02-13-2016, 03:33 PM
What would happen if you add more species like perch, sucker and lake whites. I think these species multiple fast and also good food source for pike and walleye.
Also this won't disappoint the Anglers who would like to keep some fish for eating. This is my thought and I'm not a scientist.

PlayDoh
02-13-2016, 05:01 PM
What would happen if you add more species like perch, sucker and lake whites. I think these species multiple fast and also good food source for pike and walleye.
Also this won't disappoint the Anglers who would like to keep some fish for eating. This is my thought and I'm not a scientist.

Lakers would last 5 mins, its way too shallow for that. Its not a great habitat for fish really. by late spring you can barely launch a boat cause the weeds choke off the shores.

Kings
02-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Thanks Playdoh.
I'm sure Lakers won't survive but perch and suckers might do well. I think sucker will help keep the lake clean.

Talking moose
02-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Thanks Playdoh.
I'm sure Lakers won't survive but perch and suckers might do well. I think sucker will help keep the lake clean.

What makes you think there are no suckers now?

Kings
02-13-2016, 07:01 PM
I didn't see or hear from anybody caught sucker as well as perch. Also fishing regulation listed limit for burbots and I never caught or heard anyone catch them.

EZM
02-13-2016, 07:49 PM
If I wanted to use an electric auger I would buy a ION. They go on sale occasionally for under $600 and have 40v, and are designed to drill into ice.

By the time you buy high torque 20v drill an adapter and the auger flight - you probably have spent $500.

You might have saved $100 - but it won't drill as fast, the batteries won't last as long and it's hard on the drill.

I guess if you already have a high torque drill with a decent sized battery - maybe it's ok for occasional use for the occasional ice fisherman - but I'm out once a week all season and drilling tons of holes some days.

Bemoredog
02-14-2016, 12:13 AM
I would second EZM's comment.

You'd need to get a kickass drill for a really cheap price for this to be worth it. The major advantage is mobility though, and that may or may not be worth it.

RLT
02-14-2016, 08:40 AM
Ya my plan is to get the ion but just waiting for the right sale

TROLLER
02-14-2016, 09:23 AM
I didn't see or hear from anybody caught sucker as well as perch. Also fishing regulation listed limit for burbots and I never caught or heard anyone catch them.

I caught a big fatty sucker this past summer bottom bouncing for walleye And there are no perch or burbot in Eagle.

Kings
02-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Thanks Troller for the info.
IMHO Perch, Burbots and lake whites can be stocked and keep this lake busy for fishing.