PDA

View Full Version : Took The Old Man Fishing Pics

DustDee
02-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I took my Dad fishing on Family day. Had a great time and he loved it!! My Dad has a disease similar to Parkinson's and it prevents him from doing much of anything. He turned 62 today and he spends most of his time at the long term care facility stuck in a wheel chair.

He used to take us kids out fishing all the time, so this was a good way to pay him back for years of enjoyment.

I tied some line onto the end of an old hockey stick and let him fish out of the window of the truck. The Parkinson's made for some very erratic jigging of that minnow!! I'm sure the pike were saying WTF!!!

Caught 2 pike. Both the same size as the one in the picture. Gonna be pickling one up sometime this week!!! Mmmmm.

Here's some pics!! Hope you enjoy.

Ditty
02-17-2009, 04:36 PM
That's awesome. A really touching story. My dad's not as young as he used to be and I'm beginning to cherish the time we have together. This reminds me that these opportunities to share time together are precious.

Thanks for the inspiration, mate.

munyee4321
02-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Thats awesome! nice pics and great your father enjoying the trip!

Thanx for Sharing

troller
02-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Great story and pics, thanks for sharing

DustDee
02-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I try to get him out twice a year (both of the no license needed fishing weekends). Saves on updating the WIN card and buying a license (not worth it for only going twice a year). He's got a couple more years before he fits into the "Seniors" age category where he no longer needs a license.

Thanks to Alberta F&W for setting up these weekends!!

butcherboy
02-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Great pics. It is nice to see others helping their folks out like this. I took my parents out also this weekend and had my father in the ice shack staying warm. It got so warm, he fell asleep and dropped his rod down the hole!!!:lol:
So, i had to try and catch the line/rod to get it out of the water. Now i know what he went through with 4 boys learning to fish.

ryisnky
02-17-2009, 06:22 PM
That is pretty cool, nice to see!

dodger
02-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Best post in a while, thanks for sharing.
Dodger.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Way to go DustDee That almost brings a tear to my eye . My long time fishing partner my Grandpa has been diagnosed with multiple melanoma (Blood cancer ) . I got to take grandpa out this past summer him and I went down to the river caught a few walleye , it was the greatest day of my life , getting to know he was so happy coming fishing with me . Him and I use to go all over the place , we use to go to Moose lake alot , and Lac La none as his good friend had a big house on the lake , they recently moved to Victoria . Its probably the greatest feeling to get out with family and fish , but being with someone you care about so much that is terminally ill , makes the meaning so much special. Ive been thru alot in my life , but I don't think I could handle going threw the Kemo and all the other problems that go with that . But knowing and seeing Grandpa with that rod in his hands , and the smile on his face was well worth it to me , I gotta end it here before I break out . Glad to know Dustdee that you did that , it will be a memory of a lifetime , just like mine will be .

CountryRoadz
02-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Very Nice Story. I wish my dad could come out fishing. We used to have a trailer at Pine Lake and we would haul the boat down and troll. Great bonding time and memories.

Iam sure your dad is proud

Good Job

Badback
02-17-2009, 08:36 PM
I agree with everyone who replied...Way to go DustDee...Getting your father out of the long term care facility into the great outdoors with family is great....This is a great example of what family day is all about!

RandyBoBandy
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
You are a true gentleman DustDee! Stellar effort!

buckmaster
02-17-2009, 10:24 PM
I took my Dad fishing on Family day. Had a great time and he loved it!! My Dad has a disease similar to Parkinson's and it prevents him from doing much of anything. He turned 62 today and he spends most of his time at the long term care facility stuck in a wheel chair.

He used to take us kids out fishing all the time, so this was a good way to pay him back for years of enjoyment.

I tied some line onto the end of an old hockey stick and let him fish out of the window of the truck. The Parkinson's made for some very erratic jigging of that minnow!! I'm sure the pike were saying WTF!!!

Caught 2 pike. Both the same size as the one in the picture. Gonna be pickling one up sometime this week!!! Mmmmm.

Here's some pics!! Hope you enjoy.
Good for you dustdee!!! Reminds me of when i took my dad in his last couple of months that he lived! His spirits were always good but lots of pain on the inside, but enjoyed every minute in the outdoors! Kudos to you and cherish every memory/moment you have with your dad!!! I know i did and always will.

The Fisherman Guy
02-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Great post DustDee, your Father really looks like he is having a blast! Very inventive with the hockey stick idea, I am stoked to see that hockey and fishing meet once again!

Drano
02-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Great story, cherish those times when you can get together with the ones you love for all to soon they are gone.

keep up the great work and enjoy fishing...

Drano...:wave:

Muskeg
02-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Dad's 70 and tough as nails and could still kick my ass with the Stink eye.. But he's my goto guy for fishing.. I know he's losing time and we have been making up for a lot of years that he spent working in the patch when I was a boy and time I spent ****ing around in my twenties