PDA

View Full Version : Warm weather and wind

220 Swift
02-06-2016, 07:18 PM
I've heard now from a couple different people that Ice fishing holes can melt out due to wind swirling or melted snow running down the hole.

I have a small 12foot 1970s trailer with pails cut in the floor. It was recommended to leave them down to keep the wind away.

Is their any truth to what I have been told ? I packed snow back around the sides of the pails and put snow on the inside of the pails.
Today/tonight is 3c and 90km wind gusts.

Foot Stomper
02-06-2016, 07:24 PM
I am only guessing but... what you have heard may apply to spring melt when the is going rotten. Good,, thick, clear solid mid winter ice should not be affected much by surface weather.

If I'm wrong, please do tell... I want to be safe on the ice at all times.

AlbertaCutthroat
02-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Be careful down south. Bit of open water already and by mid week there will be several lakes done for the year. Ice is rotten on many lakes already, use extreme caution.

Astrocyte
02-07-2016, 07:58 AM
I was really hoping to have my sister come out fishing on family day weekend. No licences needed so it would be perfect for many families. But this warm weather worries me. I hope lac st anne can hold up and I hope we have a big blast of cold this week to be honest. Otherwise I think it's a lost trip until maybe Canada Day...I think that is the next free fishing time? Not sure.

Foot Stomper
02-07-2016, 08:51 AM
Calgary area seeing forecasts for near +10 this week. Can't be good for ice retention!