PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lakes Reports (south of Nanton)

KWO
02-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association is planning on having our annual Family Day ice fishing event on Monday, February 15th at Chain Lakes (south of Nanton).

The weather forecast right now is calling for 12-15 degrees through most of the next week. I would appreciate feedback from anyone that is on the lake this week. Both ice thickness and the amount of water on top of the ice. Even if the ice thickness stays within safety limits, I am concerned that excess water on top of the ice will make for a crappy experience for the many novice/first time participants we usually have.

Appreciate any reports and feedback I get.

karolko
02-07-2016, 11:34 PM
subscribed...

LutherDLG
02-08-2016, 11:39 AM
I was there yesterday. I didn't measure the ice, but it was between 15-18" at all the ~10 holes I drilled. It was good solid, clear ice where I was drilling. I was in the general area of the dam on the south side. There wasn't much water on the surface, but I still found the ice extremely slippery so definitely be careful.

I know that the ice making noise as it cracks and heaves is normal, but as more and more people came onto the ice yesterday I found the noise was a lot louder and almost constant compared to the other lakes I've been to this season. When I moved spots, I drove my truck off and walked back on. There were still dozens of vehicles on the ice, so I'm sure it was fine - I just felt more comfortable.

I hope you're able to host your event this year!

karolko
02-09-2016, 01:09 PM
how was the fishing with these warm temps?
I am taking a friend and her 6 year old son fishing for the first time, so i want it to be memorable for the little guy.

Adrian

KWO
02-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Based on a few reports I received, we have decided to cancel our Association's Family Day event. Heard the lake was like glass and water on top. Worried about people wiping out, especially kids.

karolko
02-10-2016, 04:12 PM
one more question for those that have been lately: is there snow on the lake or just ice: i have a full sized truck and i'd rather take the snowmobile out on the ice, but if it just sheet ice there would be zero traction.

thanks in advance

Adrian

LutherDLG
02-10-2016, 04:35 PM
one more question for those that have been lately: is there snow on the lake or just ice: i have a full sized truck and i'd rather take the snowmobile out on the ice, but if it just sheet ice there would be zero traction.

thanks in advance

Adrian

When I was there on Sunday, there was no snow - sheer ice. It was really slick, but I didn't have any issues getting my truck on and off. I don't imagine you'd have much ability to steer a sled though haha.

Hope that helps.

karolko
02-10-2016, 04:54 PM
I have a full size diesel, so i think the ice thickness is at it's minimum as of right now.

You definetely helped out. I'd look like an idiot bringing the sled out there. Looks like i'll be borrow a smaller SUV.

Pack88
02-11-2016, 09:04 AM
Was out yesterday and the ice was clear and solid (14-16in) but by the end of the day there was quite a bit of water on top and it was extremely slippery. Fishing was awesome but I'd be nervous about driving on with the +13 temp we had when we left. Kept the half ton in the parking lot.

Fitzy1994
02-14-2016, 02:41 PM
How is the ice? I'm planning to go out tomorrow and i want to do my homework before I make the trip up there. I don't mind walking out on the ice

Fwee6
02-14-2016, 04:18 PM
How is the ice? I'm planning to go out tomorrow and i want to do my homework before I make the trip up there. I don't mind walking out on the ice

Was there today.
16" of solid ice near the park.
Zero issues with a vehicle -- had to be 50 on there today, all over.
Fishing was just OK.