PDA

View Full Version : Help Athabasca Rainbow Trout

smitty9
02-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Last day to fill out a survey:

http://registrelep-sararegistry.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=0768A55C-1

These are a unique trout, I encourage all of you to please consider taking just 5 minutes and filling the survey out.

The Athabasca rainbow trout are the only rainbows native to the Eastern Slopes of the Rockies. Let's protect them!

Smitty

RavYak
02-09-2016, 02:32 PM
I filled it out but not the way you wanted... Honestly I see no reason to protect the athabasca rainbows, I don't feel they add anything and if it requires any additional costs to do so I feel it is just a waste of government funds. Jmo.

Vigsy
02-09-2016, 03:13 PM
I filled it out but not the way you wanted... Honestly I see no reason to protect the athabasca rainbows, I don't feel they add anything and if it requires any additional costs to do so I feel it is just a waste of government funds. Jmo.

So why did we protect the bull trout? Plus since we have look how far they've come. If one why not all. I don't believe as a true fisherman I could be okay with not trying to protect any species we have in our waters. Raise my fees its minimal compared to the money I spend throughout the year. Just my opinion.

RavYak
02-09-2016, 03:41 PM
So why did we protect the bull trout? Plus since we have look how far they've come. If one why not all. I don't believe as a true fisherman I could be okay with not trying to protect any species we have in our waters. Raise my fees its minimal compared to the money I spend throughout the year. Just my opinion.

A miniature rainbow trout just doesn't have the same affect on me that a big majestic bull trout does. Lots of rainbow trout in the province and other rainbow trout species that could be introduced in those rivers if the athabasca strain dies off, I just don't get the need to protect and baby an inferior species just because it is naturally occurring. Just my opinion as stated, I know many will disagree.

Brandonkop
02-09-2016, 03:59 PM
A miniature rainbow trout just doesn't have the same affect on me that a big majestic bull trout does. Lots of rainbow trout in the province and other rainbow trout species that could be introduced in those rivers if the athabasca strain dies off, I just don't get the need to protect and baby an inferior species just because it is naturally occurring. Just my opinion as stated, I know many will disagree.

I kind of agree with you. If we could put bigger bows in there with better sporting qualities why not. But I do think preserving the natural species should be done as long as it is around. But if it's so fragile maybe it really isn't a great strain after all.

NewAlbertan
02-09-2016, 04:16 PM
I kind of agree with you. If we could put bigger bows in there with better sporting qualities why not. But I do think preserving the natural species should be done as long as it is around. But if it's so fragile maybe it really isn't a great strain after all.

Left over from the ice age. It their environment that has changed.
I think protecting something such as this is something our children can be proud was done. IMHO

Soiler
02-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Def. no problem paying a bit more for a licence to help protect a subspecies that has survived just in Alberta.... Theyre part of our fishing heritage to pass on.... while we can still make a difference in keeping their habitat sustainable for them..... We need to protect their waters more!!!! I've never caught 1 but I'd love to catch a native albertan trout.....

Bhflyfisher
02-09-2016, 07:39 PM

Protect them. They get big. No one knows where to look for them.