PDA

View Full Version : how is the ice thickness at Lake newell?

foothillzman
02-09-2016, 04:14 PM
has anyone been out?
is it thinner in the middle, or are there any springs to worry about?

Fishtracker
02-09-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm wondering more specifically about Jackfish Bay? Any vehicles still driving on at the usual access?

johnnymacrds
02-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Jackfish bay is wide open. Do not go close to it. Was there last weekend and it is exposed. I was on the east side of the lake (I think - it's the side closest to Brooks) I caught 2 pike. Was a good day. Little slow though.

Esox
02-10-2016, 09:43 AM
How is the ice and access holding up on the east side?

KJPFISH
02-10-2016, 10:43 AM
I'm curious how the SW corner ice and trail access into Big Rainier Bay is holding up? I was planning to take out a couple of noobies this coming Family Day free fishing weekend for their first time out. Any reports would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

PlayDoh
02-10-2016, 11:17 AM
has anyone been out?

is it thinner in the middle, or are there any springs to worry about?

Quite a few springs and thin spots I've been told. Not a lake you want to go exploring on I was warned. With this weather I would think that the risk is very real.

Joe Quiroga
02-10-2016, 12:46 PM
I've heard of quite a few people pulling their shacks off in the last week and it being quite scary to do so. Please be extremely cautious.

foothillzman
02-10-2016, 03:19 PM
I've heard of quite a few people pulling their shacks off in the last week and it being quite scary to do so. Please be extremely cautious.

wow my orig post was seeing if my truck was safe, I assume it is plenty safe to walk on out in the middle, no?

foothillzman
02-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Jackfish bay is wide open. Do not go close to it. Was there last weekend and it is exposed. I was on the east side of the lake (I think - it's the side closest to Brooks) I caught 2 pike. Was a good day. Little slow though.

as in ice is off? doe sit extend out into the lake a bit?

Fishtracker
02-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the update Johnny,
The whole bay is wide open?? Or just the access point to drive onto Jackfish?

Thanks!

Ryder450
02-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Had my trailer out on jackfish last friday after about 8 hours there was a crack under my trailer and water coming up and the same with my truck about 20ft away was 16" thick driving was fine just couldent stay in one spot to long

johnnymacrds
02-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Just the jackfish bay portion from what I was told. I didn't see it personally. The guy I was with was out Saturday (we went Sunday) and said there were big waves from the wind coming up onto the ice. And the whole bay part was open. Some of the locals said the same thing when we were chatting with them on Sunday. I was stay away. The part we were at (the side closest to Brooks) was 18" of ice.

frewbrandon
02-10-2016, 06:48 PM
This is what jack fish bay looked like on Saturday.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah34/frewbrandon/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1eh0ncc1.png (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/frewbrandon/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1eh0ncc1.png.html)

PlayDoh
02-10-2016, 06:49 PM
wow my orig post was seeing if my truck was safe, I assume it is plenty safe to walk on out in the middle, no?

Ya you'd be safe on foot almost certainly. Even a quad or sled should be fine. Stay on tracks if you can.
The middle of a lake is almost always the safest as it's rarely affected by springs.
If you want to play it safe wear a life jacket and carry some picks while traveling.
You might get away with driving but that's a risk I wouldn't take.

PlayDoh
02-10-2016, 06:52 PM

]

I'm guessing that's flood water? I'm not implying it's safe by any means. Just looks like there's ice under it.

frewbrandon
02-10-2016, 06:55 PM
You would be correct, looked like there was ice underneath. But from looking at it from the truck it looked to be like a foot deep, don't take my word from that as we didn't check the actual depth of it. You could walk out if the ice is still good,because that water is at the access point, and further south it was ice.

Fishtracker
02-10-2016, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the updates everyone! Need to change my plans and probably others might as well after reading this thread.

cujo1969
02-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Wind pushes the water across ice up on the east side and will rot away the ice. Seen truck out on McGregor yesterday.

Ryder450
02-10-2016, 11:10 PM

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah34/frewbrandon/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1eh0ncc1.png (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/frewbrandon/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1eh0ncc1.png.html)

Wow im glad i didnt stay the night the only water on there on Friday was from the cracks under my truck and trailer that wouldent have been a good way to wake up lol

huntsfurfish
02-11-2016, 11:02 AM
To me part of it looks like it has ice under and part does not.

I would be very careful any way.

foothillzman
02-11-2016, 03:14 PM
wow thanks for the pic guys, I'm not taking my truck for any baths, already allowed it to stay dirty all winter anywho ahhaha

I'll be on foot!