PDA

View Full Version : Russian Hooks on Trout

Northwinds
02-09-2016, 05:44 PM
so today,I wanted to see how well Russian hooks would attract trout and what color's would be most appealing to them.First stop was the shop to grab a pair of side cutters to cut the hook off,then off to the first lake to see if there was any interest in these lures.I managed to dig up copper,brass and white in a 3/4 inch long hook.The trout had some interest in brass,copper was less appealing to them but the white one.....wow!!! The hook never hit the bottom with out multiple hits,they hit it on the bottom and chased it to the surface.Lake 2 exact same results as was lake 3,moderate interest in brass,some on the copper but very aggressive on the white color.I have to admit that it was really tough not setting the hook when a bite resulted.....it's a dirty job but somebody has to do it:)

Bemoredog
02-09-2016, 05:57 PM
So why were you testing these jigs? Is there something special about these jigs vs. your typical bass pro/cabelas style jig?

Just curious what led you to conducting this experiment.

Northwinds
02-09-2016, 06:06 PM
The trout in these lakes have seen a lot of hooks this winter.In order to catch these smarty's I have to be always be on the lookout for a new hook to fool them.I will test a hook by running it past several thousand trout and see what the reaction is.If the reaction is favorable ,the hook will be used at a later date. My findings could possibly work elsewhere so I try to share what I have seen in hopes that somebody might have them work for them as well.Never hurts to have a bunch of tricks up your sleeve

Brock1
02-09-2016, 06:22 PM
this^^
equals counterproductive....

Newellknik
02-09-2016, 06:27 PM
By cutting right to the chase and dressing that trout
Hook with a big fat piece of shrimp . Russian hooks
Are ok for small fish but to short in the spread ( hook tip to
Shank ) . I prefer Best Ditzys .