PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone actually fished BIG LAKE???

ukrmaf
02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
My buddy has an acreage almost right on big lake, and many an evening we spend at his place wondering if we should head out there and punch a couple holes to try our hand at some perch and pike, i have never seen anybody out there nor have i heard much about this lake from anyone i know, i was curious if anybody has fished there recently and how you did, youd think a lake that close to the city would see quite a bit of pressure if there actually were fish in there but there's never any shacks on the ice, just curious about your guys's input.

fishunter77
02-19-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't think big lake has any fish in it. It may contain some minnows but is a shallow lake.

I think you are talking about the one by St. Albert.

ukrmaf
02-20-2009, 02:48 AM
Yeah just west of st.albert.

Sundancefisher
02-20-2009, 08:31 AM
My Dad once said he went canoeing out there and caught a few small pike on Big Lake using a daredevil.

It is connected to Sturgeon River. Therefore at the least there should be fathead minnows, brook stickleback and pike with a slim chance of perch and a slightly better chance at a walleye.

Given the shallow nature of the lake, winter kill is probably an issue. If there are any Springs...it could be a refugium for the pike etc. In the Spring...scope out the lake for open holes as the ice melts. Note those and try fishing next year.

Otherwise...try fishing at the mouths of the creek etc.

Let us know what you see.

Cheers

Sun

The Anvil
02-20-2009, 02:47 PM
I have fished Sturgeon River a few times and have caught small pike,

would be interesting to see in Big lake held anything.

seahawkfisher
02-20-2009, 06:20 PM
they caught the pike that they stocked in cow outta there
cheers