PDA

View Full Version : fish finders

bullriver
02-20-2009, 01:47 PM
hey guys

i need some help or advise.
i currently have a fishfinder/depth sounder in my 18 ft lund boat. the problem is the display sucks when the sun shines on the screen. i have tried shading the screen but that doesn't solve the problem. even just on bright days the display is hard to see. i'vr tried adjusting the contrast and all that stuff but doesn't help.

i'm going to replace the fishfinder. any suggetions as to what brand or models i should consider. thinking about something with a color display.

thxs for any info.

bullriver

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-20-2009, 01:50 PM
hey guys

i currently have a fishfinder/depth sounder in my 18 ft lund boat. the problem is the display sucks when the sun shines on the screen. i have tried shading the screen but that doesn't solve the problem. even just on bright days the display is hard to see. i'vr tried adjusting the contrast and all that stuff but doesn't help.

I'm going to replace the fishfinder. any suggetions as to what brand or models i should consider. thinking about something with a color display.

thxs for any info.

bullriver

I was just talking about this last night , with fellow forum member. Might wanna talk to Johnab , not sure if its the same model or what . He is who I was talking to about that , and he had some problem even when contrast was cranked right up .

merk1
02-20-2009, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE=bullriver the problem is the display sucks when the sun shines on the screen. i have tried shading the screen but that doesn't solve the problem.

I'm don't know very much about them, and the one I have isn't one of the fancy ones but I don't have any problem with mine even from 4-5 feet away. It is a Lawrence X52 nice little toy,I run a seperate gps system, seem to be cheaper.

bullriver
02-20-2009, 06:36 PM
thxs guys for the info so far.

bullriver

bobalong
02-20-2009, 07:16 PM
hey guys

i'm going to replace the fishfinder. any suggetions as to what brand or models i should consider. thinking about something with a color display.

thxs for any info.

bullriver

Color display is definitly the way to go IMO. The screens usually come in 5", 7" 8" and 10". If you are looking at a combo unit with GPS I suggest at least a 7" screen. When you are running a split screen 5" screen can be a bit small, they still work well, just a little easier to see the 7". I picked up a 7" color screen a few years back and it much easier to see, and lots of detail in sonar and GPS on split screen. You will pay at least 700.00+ for a 7" color combo and the 5" color combos about 500.00+.The new Lowrance HD 7" color combo units are going to be about 1500.00. Broadband and antennas are built in on these units.

merk1
02-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Bullriver, Cosco had the Humminbird 383C GPS/SONAR colour combo for $499.99. Doesn't look that bad. But not the 7" screen like babalong mentioned, that would almost be worth spending the extra $200 in the long run.

Wrist Twister
02-20-2009, 08:27 PM
I purchased the Humming bird 343C a couple years ago. I really like the unit.
The color is great, even in the sunlight. The dual beam transducer 20 and 60 degree work well. They display the fish in different color for each beam.One is blue and the other orange. so you know if there near or under the boat or out around the boat. The only thing I should have got was a larger screen model. It's pretty small, if you use the split screen. I hope this will help you
out. If possible get a unit with the bigger screen and I think you will be pleased.:wave:

packhuntr
02-21-2009, 06:23 AM
I just got a new LCX 27C combo. A buddy has been running one just a hair better, and i really liked it, the large screen in color is the cats meow, cant say much though,,, my time spent with this caliber of units is pretty limited. At the price of them, I will say, you dont want to purchase and not be happy, do it right the first time.

bullriver
02-21-2009, 07:31 PM
thxs for all the replys guys . really appreciate the input. i'll definitely be looking at the larger screen models.

thxs again

bullriver

JohninAB
02-22-2009, 08:23 AM
bullriver, my Humminbird was doing that, Sent it to their authorized repair depot in Abbotsford. They are going to give me an estimate on the repair but over the phone the guy told me if it is just a couple of components it should cost no more than $75 to fix. Let you know what he tells me. I really like the looks of the new high definition Lowrances that came out this year. If I had an extra few hundred kicking around that would be the model I would get.