PDA

View Full Version : Best tournament boat? Opinions with exp. only.

tchcont
02-20-2009, 01:59 PM
looking to get into tournament fishing and would like
some honest opinions , from people in the businees.
what length
alum - fibreglass?
2stroke - 4 stroke?
brand

any other tips would be great.
Thanks

packhuntr
02-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Dont do what i did. Im rebuilding,, basically a frame up (hauling tomorrow to Lethbridge) a geriatric Lund Tyee deep V, and re rigging. Whew, that new Pro V keeps looking nicer and nicer with every dollar that keeps racking up.:cry: You should get lotsa good help, there are some pretty smokin walleye fisherman kickin around on here.

gramps73
02-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Depends on what you are going to do with it. When I was shopping last year I looked at the Lund and the lay out was nice for a fishing boat but the Crestliner was laid out best as a multi purpose boat. great fishing boat all the bells and whistles, welded alum. I also have a young family to think about the Crestliner best fit the mold for me. 4 stroke all the way
Gramps

Waxy
02-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Go to the websites of the SAWT, NAWT, and Sask Walleye Trail (SWT) and look at the photos from the tournaments. You should get a pretty good idea what the typical boat fishing the tournies is based on that.

I don't really want to get into brands and specifics, because everyone is going to have a different opinion and preference. You don't need a $70,000 Lund or Ranger to fish the tournaments, just a well equipped boat capable of handling all kinds of whether and fishing tactics. Bigger is better though lol...

The most important thing in my opinion is rigging the boat properly - electronics front and rear with GPS, at least a bow mount electric, a rear electric is sweet, a kicker, plenty of battery power, and all the other fishing stuff - rod holders, drift socks, anchors, etc, etc...

It'll take some time and some trial and error to get it rigged the way that works best for you.

I'm sure there'll be a few people along with more experience than me to help you out beyond that and with specifics.

Waxy

merk1
02-20-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't have the tournement model but Shmag has got one I would love to have, it's one of the nicest I have seen (pg 3) $$$$$$$$$.

sickfast
02-20-2009, 02:49 PM
you dont have to spend a ton of cash to enjoy a fishing tourny.. I have been doing tournys on slave lake for 6 years and have a small Lund,,,Yes i cant run the lake like the big boys and would love to have one a little bigger (18ft , 150 HP+) but the money was a little high.. The boat i run is just a small Lund 1650 with a 60 HP 4 stroke but it has put me in the money 25% of the time.
If you can blow the cash go big!!!! If not a smaller boat with a good fish finder and GPS will still find you some big fish..
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/Dogduster/Picture011.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/Dogduster/Picture010-1.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/Dogduster/Picture196.jpg
our little boat and its first mate...

SouthAltaHunter
02-20-2009, 02:54 PM
For sure what Gramps says. You gotta think, is all you want to do is fish with you and your buddies, do you wanna ski & tube at times. Myself I wanted to buy a Lund last year, but the deciding factor was my wife. She doesnt fish at all, but likes tubing ect. She was not very fond of Lund fishing boats but I was. She really liked to looks and interior of Crestliner. I decided on a Crestliner Superhawk 1800. Love the boat now. Now both of us are happy. It is welded not riveted. What is better, I cant tell you. Riveted may be better in big waters out east but for Alberta I dont see a problem. It has enough room that I can fish mornings, and by daytime if she wants to come, I can turn it into a pretty sporty boat. Has enough storage for all my fishing gear, rods, tackle, ropes for tubing ect. It basically is a personal choice. Look them all over, go to some boat shows if you can, and buy something that you like. Here are a couple photos of my boat. Not the exact boat, just pulled the photos of Crestliner site.

SouthAltaHunter
02-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Waxy just curious, what do you run for a boat?

Waxy
02-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Waxy just curious, what do you run for a boat?

Lund 1900 Pro V SE with 200HP Optimax.

Waxy

Topwater
02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Are you looking to buy new or used?
If your gonna buy a new boat then the dealer you choose to buy from will be just as imporant as the boat you choose. You can have the best walleye boat money can buy but if your dealer is to busy to fix your boat/motor or rig it properly the first time then you will not be happy. My experience is most new boats will have at least a couple of "bugs" that need to get worked out the first year. Do some research on the dealer your dealing with.

As for motors. I like Mercs myself but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them these days. Just be careful, Dealers have been marketing some price point boats the last couple of years with old school carbed 2 stroke motors. Very hard on oil and gas and stinky and hard starting too.

As far as the best boat goes. I can only say that none of them are indestructible and if you don't have respect for the water your on (Lesser Slave as an example) they can fold up and ruin any walleye boat.

Steve

pdfish
02-20-2009, 04:57 PM
http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp96/pd_fish/riviera51-yacht-main.jpg

You were talking about marlin tournaments right? ;)

Honestly, if you've got the money, go with a Lund Tyee with a 200-250HP four-stroke, add a 9.9 or 15 HP kicker and you're ready for anything.

bobalong
02-20-2009, 07:45 PM
All good suggestion. I would look at a boat at least 18 ft long, although smaller boats will catch as many fish, sometimes getting to the fish is a little easier with the larger boats. If you have the option look at a boat with a rod locker in it, although this may not be a big priority when selecting a boat it is very handy when you have 10-12 rods in the boat pre-rigged and ready to go. Also before you mount rod holders, sonars, etc, make sure you sit in the boat, in the seat you are going to fishing out of, get stuff in the right place the first time you mount them. (I moved my rod holders twice before I finally them where I wanted them). As you can see from the following pics there is a lit bit of everything on the tournament trail

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/2007%20Pinehurst/?action=view&current=5804247f.pbw&t=1235183295
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Pinehurst%20Lake/?action=view&current=6d50d16a.pbw&t=1235183948

merk1
02-20-2009, 07:50 PM
I agree 100% with babalong, I think the rod holders and downriggers mounting points are priority, for comfort and accessibility.

tchcont
02-21-2009, 08:38 AM
seems to be alot of Warrior boats showing up at
the tourneys. how are the knew fibreglass Lund
boats doing , look very nice.

hogsmoker
02-21-2009, 08:43 AM
What I notice fishing the walleye trail is the the majority of the boats are Warrior, Lund, Crestliner. With the remaining mixture between Ranger, Princecraft, Tracker, Smokercraft, Sylvan.
What I was looking for when I was boat hunting was a good hull and enough power, like bobalong said (rod storage) some of the boats come with a centre rod storage between the windshields which is very nice, rear livewells with auto timers, baitwells and the list goes on. Electronics, trolling motor, storage space, travel tarps, stand-up canopy, snap in carpet, etc,etc,etc.

Crestliner sells a nice boat fish/ski boat 1700 superhawk, with centre rod storage and big livewell in the back, very wide hull, or if you have a big money tree in the back yard the Lund GL's, Ranger, and Warriors's are Sweet.

My advice is don't underpower your boat because you'll pay for it 2 years down the road when you want to trade to up your power

My 2 cents

hogsmoker
02-21-2009, 08:52 AM
The Lund Figreglass GL's boats look good, I believe ChrisK is running a Lund GL, maybe get some feedback from him, he is a AO member.

tchcont
02-21-2009, 09:35 AM
would just like to spend the cash once , and get what
i need now , than having to upgrade in a few years.

what is the service availability on the big Lunds
and Warriors ?

am thinking of 250 - 300 hp 4 str. , also what
dealers can repair these and parts avail.?

am hoping to get a good ride for around 60k ?

bobalong
02-21-2009, 11:34 AM

and Warriors ?

If you are looking at spending 60k you should be able to get just about any boat you like. Although I don`t own a fiberglass boat (my next one will be a ranger) if you are looking at spending 60k I would definitly go with a glass boat. Although you need a bit more power to get the same speed out of a glass boat the stability on the water is worth it IMO. In my experience (observation only) for boats in that price range and power the Trackers are probably the fastest boats on the water. I like the boat layout of the Rangers the best and they seem really smooth running, even in rough water. The boat show is only about a month away in Edmonton so you will get to look at them all first hand and decide for yourself. As far a service goes I have never used the Lund or Warrior service centres in Edmonton so I cant commment on them, but I have used the Ranger dealers service centre and my experience so far has been excellent. In the price range you listed there are lots of awesome boats out there, your biggest problem is going to be trying to decide which one is the best for you!!!

tchcont
02-21-2009, 11:58 AM
will be at the sportsman show to check things.

am leaning towards fibreglass , i don't leave any boat
in the water over night , are the rangers good in
big water conditions? seem very shallow .

who has ranger boats in the edmonton area? have
only seen a couple around , how goods there warranty
on the hull? big engines mean big stress on the transoms.

anyone running the knew suzuki 250ss engine , heard it
only comes in the short 20" shaft. will probably need
a 25" or 30" for any of the bigger boats. should last a
little longer though , same block as the 300 just not as
worked over.

thanks for all the response , just want to do it right the
first time , what engines seem to outperform the competition?

bobalong
02-21-2009, 12:19 PM
will be at the sportsman show to check things.

am leaning towards fibreglass , i don't leave any boat
in the water over night , are the rangers good in
big water conditions? seem very shallow .

who has ranger boats in the edmonton area? have
only seen a couple around , how goods there warranty
on the hull? big engines mean big stress on the transoms.

anyone running the knew suzuki 250ss engine , heard it
only comes in the short 20" shaft. will probably need
a 25" or 30" for any of the bigger boats. should last a
little longer though , same block as the 300 just not as
worked over.

thanks for all the response , just want to do it right the
first time , what engines seem to outperform the competition?

All excellent questions, but due to the fact that I have never actually run a Ranger on the water the only question I can really answer is that Free Spirit Marine is the Ranger dealer in Edmonton. While at the boat show look up Terry, he will be working in the Free Spirit booth and will able to answer all your questions on hull design, suzuki engines etc. He has been running a big Ranger with a 250 Suzi on it for the past two years and has been down to the Ranger plant on a few occassions.
This is his rig
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/2007%20Pinehurst/IMG_2068.jpg

Chris K
02-21-2009, 02:48 PM
tchcont, I sent a PM to your inbox. Chris K

Topwater
02-21-2009, 11:26 PM

and Warriors ?

Unfortunatly with the current weak cnd dollar 60 k doesn't go as far as you would think. There is exceptions to that though as some dealers may have a couple of leftover 2008's that where purchased when the dollar was par or better, which means you could save 10 - even 30 grand.

W5 Warrior boats in Spruce Grove is top notch. 780 960 6947. They will also hang any brand motor you desire, though it seems most go with Suzuki. They have a few boats in the shop, you should check em out. 300 horses and in your price range.

I bought my 2nd warrior today.

Steve

Donny Bear
02-22-2009, 06:55 AM
I run a lund 1750 lay out is less than perfect if you want a well laid out Boat Crestliner has some if you want it all complete I know Marv Koizumi has his super cool crestline for sale think I could find some pic's and contact info the man has seen a lot of tourney water and puts together a wicked boat:D

Winch101
02-22-2009, 07:31 AM
I agree with Don B. when I looked 2years ago , I wasnt that impressed

with Lunds Layout , I wanted a big backtroller , but the weather , the heat , the wife said windshield , walk tru , top......etc.

Best bang for your buck2007 Crestliner at that time ...Paid 22K I think that boat is over 27 today

Walleye fishing is about boat control , so if you are under powered in any way , your hatched , with new HP versus size ratings , go for the max .
4 strk ...

I have fished out of 4 different Crest.. 1650 SA , 1750 SA

Fish Hawk , Super hawk in the last year , all good ,

If the fun fishing involves more people than 2 go big 18 to 20 '

I went to Calgary Boat show , Prices are up .

And SERVICE is open to question in Alberta ...

Obviously , I went to Edmonton to buy , I didnt hear anything on here

about marine service , that gave me the warm and fuzzys .

Glass is good if it stays in the water , trailering has an effect on it ..

My .03 cents ....

Dean2
02-22-2009, 07:49 AM
I ran Misty River, and Lund Aluminum, Stratos, Skeeter, Ranger and Warrior fiberglass in walleye tournaments. My current boat is a Warrior 188 deep V with 150 horse injected 2 stroke.

Have fished Erie, Ohae, Lesser Slave, Lake of the Woods etc. For smaller water either aluminum or fiber is fine. For big water, 10+ foot waves and hard running, nothing beats fiberglass. I have taken air in the warrior that would have folded one of my aluminum boats.

I don't tournament fish anymore but have kept the warrior as an all round fishing, family boat. They are very well built, hold 55 gallons of fuel, will do 46 mph fully loaded with the 150, three live wells and a bait well and plently of storage. Can run flat out in up to six foot of wave given the right conditions and has handled MUCH bigger than that at slower speeds. We pushed the limits of good sense many times and it never failed to get us home in one piece, though other boats in the same tournament swamped or sank. Also, very easy to run eletronics, built in on board charging and can be set for up to 6 batteries very easily.

Of the ones I have owned and the many more I fished in my favorites are the Lund for aluminum and the Ranger and the Warrior for fiberglass. The Warrior is a better multy use boat than the Ranger because of the deep sides/more freebaord, walk through windshield etc. Many of Lunds models are good multy use boatts too. Hope this info helps

whitewolf
02-22-2009, 08:19 AM
i was looking at the boatshow and i thought the weldcraft looked like a pretty tuff boat and it seemed pretty sturdy with all the extras you might need,might be worth a look.

tchcont
02-23-2009, 09:28 AM
seems as though , lots of pm's about fibreglass boats
as being the preferred for long time investment.
is anyone selling there f/g lund 208 or a warrior v203?

Waxy
02-23-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm not totally sold on fibreglass, but for the type of fishing I do and the lakes I spend most of my time on (big), I think it just might be better.

If I had $60,000+ to spend my wish list would look something like this -

Lund or Warrior glass boat, at least 20'. I might take the Ranger too, but I'm not crazy about the layout and glitter paint.
Dual console with windshield
300 Merc Verado (or whatever max HP is)
9.9 Merc Pro Kicker - tiller model with extension handle, quick connect link to main motor, TR-1 Autopilot if you're a die hard troller, TrollMaster otherwise
101lb Terrova bowmount with Autopilot, Copilot and universal sonar
101lb Vantage on the transom
New Lowrance HD 10" or 13" finders front and rear, all hooked together for max. convenience and ready to go with the new side imaging technology from Lowrance.
Wave Wackers
Sportdodger convertible top from Dufort Industries
Snap on travel cover
Trailer Tux rock guard
Misc. fishing stuff - anchors, drift socks, rod holders, etc...

That ought to blow away $60,000+ in one helluva hurry. :lol:

Waxy

Hunter Trav
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Here's a link to what one guy did for his own walleye fishing rig, I think its pretty sweet, especially if your into doing things yourself...

http://correllconcepts.com/boat_conversion.htm

James Henry
02-23-2009, 03:15 PM
I have had my Crestliner for 12 years now and am still in love with it. We have caught thousands of fish and she handles incredibly well in the worst Minnawanka has to offer. The only downside is B&L Marine in Calgary. Buy elswhere and service elsewhere too. Other than that, they are great boats

Chris K
02-23-2009, 06:28 PM
tchcont, I have a 208 that I ran last year as a dealer demo that is for sale. It is at Rainbow Marine in Edmonton. (780)455-8480 ask for Udo or Mark

Hammer Handle
02-24-2009, 11:38 AM
you dont have to spend a ton of cash to enjoy a fishing tourny.. I have been doing tournys on slave lake for 6 years and have a small Lund,,,Yes i cant run the lake like the big boys and would love to have one a little bigger (18ft , 150 HP+) but the money was a little high.. The boat i run is just a small Lund 1650 with a 60 HP 4 stroke but it has put me in the money 25% of the time.
If you can blow the cash go big!!!! If not a smaller boat with a good fish finder and GPS will still find you some big fish..
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/Dogduster/Picture011.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/Dogduster/Picture010-1.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/Dogduster/Picture196.jpg
our little boat and its first mate...

Sick fast that is one beautiful boat.

Mulestalker
02-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I have the pleasure of fishing a few tournaments in my partners Warrior 2300 w/300 Suzuki,Suzuki kicker,Vantage,Terrova,Humminbirds,Aquavu,etc .Big water rig for sure,you won't find a dryer ride no mater what the weather but it is one heavy boat,you need all of the 300hp ,trust me,I think it is finally propped right and getting 48mph.Overkill for southern Ab?..you bet, but depending on where and how you want to use it it may be ideal. 23ft is alot of boat....jeesh,paint it yellow and call it a bus!:lol:...I will stick with my 1750 Crestliner.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b271/Mulestalker/016.jpg

tchcont
02-24-2009, 03:12 PM
now that is a boat! didn't no that there was a bigger warrior
hull , that is very impressive. 48mph with a boat that size
is more than fair , think i have made a choice between the
warrior v203 or a lund 208 fg. price may be the decider , from
quotes the one is about 12-15k cheaper? hope to see some
of you at the tourney's this year. Thanks

Topwater
02-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Nice, your gonna be happy with either boat. You'll also be supporting our tournament sponsors with either choice. Lund is a longtime sponsor and W5 Warrior is a sponsors of trail tourneys here in alberta and one in Sask too. Cheers

Post some pictures too.

trophyboy
02-24-2009, 08:32 PM
LUND is undoubtedly the best walleye tournament boat on the water. There's a reason that the majority of boats at any tournament in Western Canada are LUNDS. Sorry, but someone had to speak the truth.

tchcont
02-25-2009, 08:04 AM
have attended quite a few tourney's on Slave lake , and
yes the majority was probably Lund's , but it seemed
when the water really got rolling the Warrior really were
the dominant boats? could possibly be that there are multiple
dealers for Lund in alberta and Warrior has 1 dealer in
Canada.
service is huge for me and this may sway my choice as
well , just can't justify 80k for a 208 fg? this was demo
fully rigged. a Warrior fully rigged was about 65k , 50hp
less. looks as though it may be time to go used boat
shopping.
greatly appreciate everyones input on this topic , keep
it coming.
Thanks

Waxy
02-25-2009, 08:40 AM
have attended quite a few tourney's on Slave lake , and
yes the majority was probably Lund's , but it seemed
when the water really got rolling the Warrior really were
the dominant boats? could possibly be that there are multiple
dealers for Lund in alberta and Warrior has 1 dealer in
Canada.
service is huge for me and this may sway my choice as
well , just can't justify 80k for a 208 fg? this was demo
fully rigged. a Warrior fully rigged was about 65k , 50hp
less. looks as though it may be time to go used boat
shopping.
greatly appreciate everyones input on this topic , keep
it coming.
Thanks

YES!

Check out walleyecentral and a few of the other sites, and search the net. There are 1-3 year old fully loaded tournament boats out there right now that can be had for a SWEET deal.

Waxy