PDA

View Full Version : My first Jack...

thundergrey
02-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Went out north of edmonton and reeled in my first Pike...

My Ultra light (1-4lb) rod was bent back to the handle and she took alot of line. Had some fight in her, she took better then a couple minutes to convince to "come into the light" measured 65cm.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1976/250/7/593799739/n593799739_2161201_3020.jpg

i had never seen one before this and my buddie usally takes me out for his perch. needless to say i wasnt expecting this.
my words were,
"Dude! Get over here its huge!" (as im trying to get it up the hole expecting something 12 inches or so, then...)
"What the f&%$ is that!?" (as i pull it on the ice and look at this ugly thing)

battered it up in some salt n vinager chips and a quick fry and it was some good eats!

thundergrey
02-21-2009, 11:54 PM
my buddie was calling them jacks? is that another name for them? i know its a pike... maybe it was a northern jack? i dont know, my girlfriend says i dont listen, and shes always right;)

Morph1
02-22-2009, 12:51 AM
hold up one sec I think you and your buddy are wrong , I am sure that is a fresh water Barracuda :rolleye2:

troller
02-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Congrats :)

thundergrey
02-22-2009, 10:17 AM
hold up one sec I think you and your buddy are wrong , I am sure that is a fresh water Barracuda :rolleye2:

Could be! They almost look alike!

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2052/250/7/593799739/n593799739_2063151_3643.jpg
in playa del carmen end of january

Jester
02-22-2009, 10:29 AM
my buddie was calling them jacks? is that another name for them? i know its a pike... maybe it was a northern jack? i dont know, my girlfriend says i dont listen, and shes always right;)

Listen to what? :D

Congrats and I'm thinking you are new to Alberta,am I right?

It don't matter.....now then....go buy a man's size fishing rod and go crazy with those "Jacks" this spring and summer..:wave:

thundergrey
02-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Congrats and I'm thinking you are new to Alberta,am I right?

BC boy through and through... Moved here in 2002, but never really embraced Alberta. I missed my lakes, mountains and outdoors. My eyes are being opened that Alberta has some nice country as well... Stared hunting and fishing with a buddie last season/this winter and am loving it. i was becoming bitter towards Alberta, but it may not be too bad...

and the rods and bellyboats are on their way... still in storage in BC

Jester
02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
BC boy through and through... Moved here in 2002, but never really embraced Alberta. I missed my lakes, mountains and outdoors. My eyes are being opened that Alberta has some nice country as well... Stared hunting and fishing with a buddie last season/this winter and am loving it. i was becoming bitter towards Alberta, but it may not be too bad...

and the rods and bellyboats are on their way... still in storage in BC

Well....there is no way that Alberta can compare to BC when it comes to fishing but..search and you will discover some good places that will remind you of BC.....*wink wink nudge nudge..eastern slopes* :wave:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Sweet congratulations on your first of many Pike . One of my favorite , fresh water species I love to fish for and so much power . Not to mention a perfect eating size to , I bet he will taste mighty good .

bunnyhunter
02-22-2009, 07:33 PM
nice starter pike! now you just need to learn to cut out the meat from the bones...you'll get some great meat strips, boneless for frying!

happy eats, a good younger pike is great for pike and french fries

J

thundergrey
02-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks all! This is my 2nd biggest of all time fish next to my 12lb lake char out of quesnel lake. Mmm... Char. But I could see them being great fun when it warms up and they get more active!

Mine looks like a baby compaired to some others on here though! Oh well. The two we took home made for a good dinner for three!