PDA

View Full Version : Beauty day, beauty RB's and a surprise!

jegermiester
03-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Yesterday I headed North on 22 to the Caroline area to take advantage of the great weather and the few remaining days left for hard water action.

Got to the lake and had lines in the water by 9:00 am....I know, kinda late right? But I've found that trout will bite throughout the day, just gotta be a little MORE patient than normal :P

Anyways, caught a few brookies and RB's through the day and then the golden time zone set in, 5 - 7 pm!

Hooked into a nice sized RB, knot came undone and lost him at the hole.
You know that sinking feeling...have I got another jig like the one I just lost, I'll probably never get another bite, let alone another fish of that size ...right??

Anyways, rigged back up and down the hole in 8 FOW. No sooner had I hit the bottom and I had another RB on....great fight, nice 16 incher and kept him for dinner!

Then another slab of a RB, larger than the one I had kept...LOL. Time for a quick pic and back down the hole he went as the limit for RB's was only one.

To cut to the chase, it was non stop action from that point on until 7:00 pm.
I must have caught at least a dozen RB's during that time period, with at least 5 being in the 16+ slot size.....the feeding frenzy was ON.

Now for the surprise! I usually check the stomach contents for info as to what I should use the next time out. I typically find items like shrimp, corn, snails, black bugs, small minnows and hard shelled crustaceans.....but a large soft bodied jig is a first for me!! No evidence of a hook though :P

Plan to head out again this weekend....maybe we'll see you at Troutville?

The jegermiester :P

the local angler
03-04-2016, 04:21 PM
cool i would have not expected that big of an artificial grub either

chriscosta
03-04-2016, 04:36 PM
Honest to god I caught a rainbow about 12 incher and it had two walleye jig bodies inside it and they were old no hook either ..I thought I was the only one to ever find this cool story

jegermiester
03-04-2016, 06:04 PM
cool i would have not expected that big of an artificial grub either

That's what I was thinking too local angler.....you'd think that would be monster pike, walleye or laker type of tackle huh??

Honest to god I caught a rainbow about 12 incher and it had two walleye jig bodies inside it and they were old no hook either ..I thought I was the only one to ever find this cool story

The part that kinda bothers me criscosta is that I have a hard time believing that even a larger sized trout could manage to digest and pass a plastic type jig of that size, let alone a pan fried sized one!

Gotta tell you there wasn't much room in that stomach for anything else...kinda looked like a log jam :P

chriscosta
03-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure the ones I found had been there awhile they were quite soft ...

waterninja
03-04-2016, 07:14 PM
Congrats on a great day of fishing. I love looking at rainbows.

the local angler
03-04-2016, 09:32 PM
i've seen this in burbot walleyes and pike before but like the others say the fish was big, this rainbow must have been really hungry.