PDA

View Full Version : Best Rod/Reel for the money

HowSwedeItIs
03-04-2016, 03:38 PM
I see these threads pop up on other forums from time to time, which of your rods and/or reels do you think gives you the most bang for your buck? And what do you use them for? Thinking mostly summer here. At what point will an upgrade not give you the extra $50 of performance? I have a Berkeley lightning spinning rod I got for perch and small rainbows and it works well enough that I'm not sure I'd get anything 'better', for that application at least

EZM
03-04-2016, 10:32 PM
It really depends on your budget - many of the newer technology cheaper rods and reels will work - but if you are after sensitivity and a smooth drag then you are probably looking at no less than $90-$140 for a decent spinning reel and $80-$120 for a decent rod.

I really like Shimano and Abu Garcia spinning reels. For rods a Fenwick or a St.Croix are great for that price point.

It might sound like a lot of money for a set up - but at the end of the day - it will last you years and years if you take care of your stuff and it really is nice to have decent quality.

So - for the money - I think $170 to $260 bucks for a set up is the "sweet spot" for quality gear IMO.

rena0040
03-04-2016, 10:58 PM
I put together an abu garcia c3 and a 9ft ugly stick elite last year for around $200. It casts a mile and have caught pike, walleye, salmon and rainbows with it. Some dont like the flex of an ugly stick but I love them.

Cindey
03-05-2016, 03:59 AM
Smoothest reel I have ever used is a Mitchell Avocet II. I can swear by this reel. It is an amazing quality reel for the price. I own 7 of them. They range in a variety of line capacities so choose the one that fits your needs.

slamilton
03-05-2016, 08:36 AM
I went with a Phleugar President based on recommendations from a previous topic like this and was very happy. Unfortunately I left my bag with fishing gear in a taxi in miami so need to get a new one. I would recommend.

fishnfoo
03-05-2016, 09:36 AM
It really depends on your budget - many of the newer technology cheaper rods and reels will work - but if you are after sensitivity and a smooth drag then you are probably looking at no less than $90-$140 for a decent spinning reel and $80-$120 for a decent rod.

I really like Shimano and Abu Garcia spinning reels. For rods a Fenwick or a St.Croix are great for that price point.

It might sound like a lot of money for a set up - but at the end of the day - it will last you years and years if you take care of your stuff and it really is nice to have decent quality.

So - for the money - I think $170 to $260 bucks for a set up is the "sweet spot" for quality gear IMO.

X2

I agree there is a sweet spot at about $120 for both rods and reels. You can buy reels and rods for more that $500, but I don't think they are 5x better. For rods I like Fenwick (HMG or elite tech), St Croix (eyecon) and Shimano (Compre) (in that order).
For reels I like Pflueger Supreme, Diawa Lexa,

Try looking for sales. I try to by rods or reels worth $130 to $150 for about $70 - $100. Also do not be a brand snob. Pick up a bunch of different rods and reels and try them out. Last year I picked up an Okuma deadeye rod for $50 and it is great.

The bonus is that when you buy this level of quality it lasts a long time and because it is high quality you will love using it every minute.

57charlie
03-05-2016, 10:47 AM
Once you've decided upon what kind of reel you want (spinning, bait casting, etc.) and you know what kind of fish you'll be going after and where you go fishing (lake, ocean). The best thing you can do is leave the wife and buddies at home and stop by any of the big fishing stores (Cabela's, Fishing Hole, Bass Pro Shop) and spend as many, un-hurried hours in the aisles comparing the features of them. These big stores have most of their product out of the boxes so it's quite easy to take the time and have a good close look at what features, models, warranty etc. are available. I spent 5-6 hours in the aisles last year just finding a new Ultralight rod and reel. I worried about price after finding what I believed to be the best setup for me.

huntsfurfish
03-05-2016, 11:28 AM

Personally I dont think you need to go that high for a decent/good setup. But I do agree with Shimano/Abu comment. Rods I go by feel, and how I judge its sensitivity, it could be a $40.00 rod to $120.00.
And as you said it depends on budget.
But would add, a person should spend more on rod than reel if sensitivity is the main criteria and which would allow you to stay within the same overall budget.
That said if a person wants Stella and a G Loomis, go for it. Im sure a person can find something nice for $1500.00.:)

HowSwedeItIs
03-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Yeah the "sweet spot", that's what I was going for but couldn't remember the name haha

npauls
03-05-2016, 11:34 PM
My go to walleye jigging rods are berkley lightning rods with pflueger president or trion reels and some good braid. I have never had a problem catching eyes and use these same set ups for tournies.

For my lindy rods i also use pflueger president reels with braid and have both a st.croix and diawa walleye series rods that didnt cost more than $60 each. Again i have never had a problem with these set ups.

Plenty of sensitivity and if you use fluoro or mono leaders you can be sure that the fish arent being line shy. Braid is also more sensitive than fluoro or mono.

mickeyjim
03-05-2016, 11:38 PM
I had a Berkley Lightning rod for a few years. That thing was awesome. It broke on me and I spent a pile more money on a Shimano rod. If I could go back I would be just as happy with my Berkley Lightning rod.

FlyTheory
03-06-2016, 12:29 AM
Good thing you're not asking about a fly rod :scared0018:

does it ALL outdoors
03-06-2016, 02:30 AM
When I buy a new rod or reel budget dosent come into play. Quality and performance do. I have spent ALOT over the years.

calgarygringo
03-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Many good suggestions and here is my 2 cents from a guy in the business based on the conversation so far.
Look at the Pfleuger President right now as they have a limited edition version at a special price this year that makes it a real sweetspot reel for just over a hundred bucks or so. Rods like the HMG or a few bucks more to the Walleye series are good values as mentioned earlier as well. Put on some decent line and for between 250 to 300 bucks you would have a real nice setup that you will enjoy and last for years.
As HFF says if you want to spend the farm come I am sure someone would be glad sell you a Stella and a G Loomis as well and spend a couple thousand in the store.