PDA

View Full Version : Sled runners

TROLLER
03-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Looking at runners for a new sled but do not see where they are worth 60 or 70 bucks.

Am wanting to make some out of pvc trim boards which I think is what the sled guys are selling.

Anyone ever work with the trim boards and if so how did it work out in the end.

THANKS

Game Hunter
03-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Yeah 60-80 bucks. I tried buying material to make my own, most plastic companies wanted a arm and a leg. Ide be curious if there's material at some hard wear store around guys use?
I ended up buying some runners for my pelican.

calgarygringo
03-06-2016, 08:36 AM
I know some guys also have used puck board for their sleds. I believe sign shops can get it for you.

marty1
03-06-2016, 08:48 AM
Looking at runners for a new sled but do not see where they are worth 60 or 70 bucks.

Am wanting to make some out of pvc trim boards which I think is what the sled guys are selling.

Anyone ever work with the trim boards and if so how did it work out in the end.

THANKS
I find the easiest way is to buy old pair of skies on kijiji I picked up two old pair for $50,works like a dream.

calgarygringo
03-06-2016, 08:53 AM
This is called a Smitty Sled. Lots of pictures online if you Google it. Made one myself this winter and way better than runners. Got my skis at the Sally Ann store for 5 bucks.

I find the easiest way is to buy old pair of skies on kijiji I picked up two old pair for $50,works like a dream.

kcward
03-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Another Idea is go to the River Boat MFG, they might sell the teflon strips. Sometimes they have strips left over and will sell for a reasonable price.

TROLLER
03-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Yeah 60-80 bucks. I tried buying material to make my own, most plastic companies wanted a arm and a leg. Ide be curious if there's material at some hard wear store around guys use?
I ended up buying some runners for my pelican.

I went to Home Depot on line and it looks like all I need would cost under 20 bucks and I am sure this is the same material the sled runners are made of.

While I like the idea of old skis I am trying all I can this winter to get lighter, sold my big tent, large sled, beside storage, as I get older I have to be more mindful of what things weigh for me to lift in and out of the truck as I am fishing by myself most days.

DOGFISH
03-06-2016, 10:56 AM
UMHW -Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene.
info@pgplastics.com

357xp
03-07-2016, 10:21 AM
X2 on the UHMW, bought a 4x10 sheet to rebuild my one sled plus enough left over for runners on a couple more.

raw outdoors
03-07-2016, 03:46 PM
I have built an entire sled out of uhmw picked the stuff up in calgary close to wholesale sports it is awsome stuff the place i pur purchased it from will cut it however you like. PS this sled is forsale if anyone wants a northen sledworks clone with a musher bar.

TROLLER
03-08-2016, 11:37 AM
So I went ahead with the PVC trim board bit of a time with the bend but got it installed.

25 bucks and was able to kill few hours of an otherwise boring day.