PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motor - Bow Mount Question

Tatonka
03-06-2016, 08:34 PM
I have an 18 foot Starweld by Starcraft boat.... Looking at buying a new trolling motor (bow mount). How long should the shaft be? Would a 48" shaft work?

Yankeejane
03-06-2016, 09:31 PM
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Support/FAQs/FAQ-Details/What-about-shaft-length-selection-/

Check this link out. I'm guessing that a 48" shaft might be too short especially in rougher water. Hope it helps

Walleyedude
03-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Go with the longest one you can get that will fit on your bow when stowed, there's no real draw back to it, I'd suggest a 60".

There are HUGE drawbacks to the shaft being too short, it makes use in windy weather next to impossible.

npauls
03-06-2016, 10:12 PM
As mentioned go with the longest shaft possible. You will be happy you did if the wind picks up while out for a day of fishing.

Also with a boat that size you are on the edge of maxing out a 24 volt and having tons of extra power in a 36 volt. If you can afford the 36 volt i would also recommend that.

Tatonka
03-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Thanks all.....I appreciate the input.

Legend Boats
04-03-2016, 09:33 AM
You will need a 54” shaft minimum and we recommend a 55Lb. thrust mode 24 or 27 series battery. If you’re thinking of a more LB. thrust you will need a conversion to a 24V system and it usually comes with a 60” shaft. I would also suggest a Quick release bracket for the trolling motor as well. Check out Minn Kota, They make a great unit with excellent features to help you fish more effectively. Hope this helps

Cheers Henry - Legend Boats

huntsfurfish
04-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Do not get a 55 lb thrust with that size of boat.

Go with what dude and pauls posted.

TROLLER
04-03-2016, 10:31 AM
55 is what I run on my new 14 Crestliner never would you be happy with it on your 18. Suggesting a 55 is very bad advise

EZM
04-03-2016, 01:42 PM
You will need a 54” shaft minimum and we recommend a 55Lb. thrust mode 24 or 27 series battery. If you’re thinking of a more LB. thrust you will need a conversion to a 24V system and it usually comes with a 60” shaft. I would also suggest a Quick release bracket for the trolling motor as well. Check out Minn Kota, They make a great unit with excellent features to help you fish more effectively. Hope this helps

Cheers Henry - Legend Boats

Sorry Henry - I can tell you, as a fact, you are 100% incorrect here.

You will REQUIRE a 60" shaft for the Starcraft Starweld 1800. These boats sit very high out of the water and are built for big water. A 54" is too short as this boat is a deep v. This is incorrect.

You also recommended a A 55lb thrust is a 12 volt system? It will allow you for maybe 4-5 hours of use before your battery is dead on such a large and deep boat and has ZERO chance of being able to control or pull your boat in ANY chop. Bad Advice.

The Starcraft also come wired as a 24v systems - so a 12v simply wont work without making modifications. Again, bad advice.

Anyways ....... to the original poster ....

For a boat that size you really don't want anything less than a 80 thrust 24v system, however, a 110/112 thrust on a 36 v would be so much better.

The only boats, at 18ft that come with dinky little cheap systems like a 54"/12v trolling motor are the brands that I would stay away from ...... they are useless, underpowered and inefficient with their use of power.

Get a 60" with a 80 thrust/24v system or better yet, go to a 36v.

I have a 1800 Lund Tyee (which is similar in displacement and height in the water as your Starcraft) with a 80 thrust/60"/24v and it works fine - but you certainly don't want to go with less.