PDA

View Full Version : Go Fishing, Go to Jail

Battery
03-11-2016, 09:29 AM
Interesting article out of Ontario:

http://www.keepcanadafishing.com/go-fishing-go-to-jail-theres-somethings-fishy-about-bill-c-246/

Peterborough, Ont: Canadian families who fish together will do time together if Bill C-246 becomes law.

The ‘Modernizing Animal Protections Act” was introduced last week by Liberal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith of Toronto. It is being promoted as legislation to ban of the importation of shark fins and outlaw the practice of shark finning in Canadian waters. But that is only the tip of the fin.

An activist coalition of Canadian and U.S. animal rights organizations with a decades-long history of sustained attacks on anglers and farmers quickly supported the private member’s bill. Led by the International Fund for Animal Welfare of Yarmouth, Massachusetts and the Toronto-based Animal Alliance of Canada, these groups have once again come out in strong support of federal legislation which threatens a criminal charge, up to a $10,000 fine and five years jail time for anglers who harvest a few fish for dinner.

Provisions in Bill C-246 clearly make it possible for someone who catches a fish to face criminal prosecution for cruelty to animals. Even the act of baiting a hook with a worm would be considered an act of cruelty according to the Bill.

Specifically, Section 182.1.1 states that:

182.1 (1) Everyone commits an offence who, willfully or recklessly, (b) kills an animal or, being the owner, permits an animal to be killed, brutally or viciously, regardless of whether the animal dies immediately;

This section poses the same threat as the seven previous iterations of similar bills. According to exhaustive legal opinions, for the first time in Canadian history this section would make it an offence to kill an animal brutally or viciously – without defining those terms – and does not exempt from this offence normal hunting and fishing activities. Hunting and fishing necessarily involve the killing of animals. Animal rights groups consistently attempt to portray these traditional Canadian heritage activities as inherently brutal and vicious. If Bill C-246 becomes law, this section will be used by animal rights activists who will employ provisions of the Criminal Code to bring private prosecutions to harass lawful anglers and hunters.

“Once again we see the timeworn tactic by these MP’s and groups of fronting a façade which appears to promote a seemingly reasonable solution to an animal cruelty issue, while concealing the true intention of the legislation,” states Phil Morlock, Government Affairs Chair of the Canadian Sportfishing Industry Association. “The implications of this Bill are chilling. It is a nuclear strike against our outdoor heritage activities and threatens anyone who just wants to take their kids fishing.”

In a classic example of the relentless ‘under the radar’ attacks on the eight million Canadians who enjoy fishing, this Bill copies the same contentious phrasing that directly threatens anglers and which appeared in seven previous government Bills from 1999 – 2008. That legislation had strong support from M.P. Mark Holland who is now Parliamentary Secretary to Minister for Democratic Institutions, Maryam Monsef MP for Peterborough-Kawartha. Mr. Holland was quoted in the November 30, 2015 issue of The Hill Times newspaper as once again drafting similar ‘animal cruelty’ legislation.

EZM
03-11-2016, 11:03 AM
This issue is simple to fix .......... insert some wording to the effect of;

exception to this law include;

1) Game Fish, Sport Fish, Birds, and Animals where provincial or federal regulations permit the lawful angling, trapping or harvesting of these species

2) Farm animals slaughtered for the purposes of food

There is probably a few other instances where this law would cause some grief - but it should be pretty simple to amend to keep the intent of the law without causing a circus.

PerchBuster
03-11-2016, 11:10 AM
That's the bleeding heart Liberals for you! Bunch of concrete jungle morons if you ask me. I mean what do they think? They can turn the whole country in to Vegans and Vegetarians. What, no more meat departments in the grocery stores either because those products were all derived out of cruelty to animals and fish? Over my dead body I say. Take away my god given rights to catch my own fish for my table instead of eating it out of a box in prepackaged portions from Thailand or some place and there will be hell to pay I tell you! But this is what they do. They bend over backwards for special interest groups that really only love to hear themselves talk. I'm sure there are lots of these activists that put on a big show about animal rights while they go out on the town at night to their favorite restaurant to get a meal from their favourite chef which consists of Duck Confit, Broiled Sea Bass and a side of Bay Scallops in a white wine cream sauce. This legislation will never fly I don't think in its current form as you have detailed. They would definitely have to amend the Bill to remove this type of wording otherwise the jails would be full of hunters and fisherman whilst the real criminals run free or.......dream up new legislations to screw over the average Joe

Andy44
03-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Everything sounds ridiculous when taken out of context. This bill is about shark finning, organized animal fighting and the sale of dog/cat fur in Canada. Obviously if you take one of the sub-sections out of the bill and twists the words to your agenda it'll sound sensationalist and anti-fishing. Why not add some provocative statments like "these groups have once again come out in strong support of federal legislation which threatens a criminal charge, up to a $10,000 fine and five years jail time for anglers who harvest a few fish for dinner"?

No one... I repeat NO ONE, is going to go to jail for catching a few trout for dinner. Conservation officers who enforces these laws are not going to arrest anglers over a tradition that's been on this planet since man starting eating fish. Try and remember that all conservation hunters love fishing and hunting, as you really need to love the sport to get one of those jobs. There aren't any crunchy granola fur free CO's roaming the bush. That being said... if you're for example catching pike and stab their eyes out with the blunt end of a pencil before throwing them back in the water then YES.. that IS animal cruelty and YES you should get a fine!!

Let's please not make this a liberal vs conservative thing. People of all political backgrounds love to fish and hunt so let's not get our pitchforks and jump on the "all liberals are antis" bandwagon.

PerchBuster
03-11-2016, 01:46 PM
Everything sounds ridiculous when taken out of context. This bill is about shark finning, organized animal fighting and the sale of dog/cat fur in Canada. Obviously if you take one of the sub-sections out of the bill and twists the words to your agenda it'll sound sensationalist and anti-fishing. Why not add some provocative statments like "these groups have once again come out in strong support of federal legislation which threatens a criminal charge, up to a $10,000 fine and five years jail time for anglers who harvest a few fish for dinner"?

No one... I repeat NO ONE, is going to go to jail for catching a few trout for dinner. Conservation officers who enforces these laws are not going to arrest anglers over a tradition that's been on this planet since man starting eating fish. Try and remember that all conservation hunters love fishing and hunting, as you really need to love the sport to get one of those jobs. There aren't any crunchy granola fur free CO's roaming the bush. That being said... if you're for example catching pike and stab their eyes out with the blunt end of a pencil before throwing them back in the water then YES.. that IS animal cruelty and YES you should get a fine!!

Let's please not make this a liberal vs conservative thing. People of all political backgrounds love to fish and hunt so let's not get our pitchforks and jump on the "all liberals are antis" bandwagon.

It is Liberal MP's trying to introduce the Legislation. I never said anything about Liberals vs Conservatives. I am sure common sense will prevail in this instance however it should be noted that the Liberals tend to be bankrupt in that area as their prior track record indicates so I wouldn't put anything past them frankly. I am not asking for anybody to agree with me, it's just my opinion that's all. I won't be grabbing my pitchfork but rest assured I will have one on standby lol.

Andy44
03-11-2016, 02:57 PM
You are definitely right about Liberal MP's being the ones pushing this bill. I'm just growing tired of the word "liberal" being almost used as a curse word in these forums. I try not to forget that Conservative MP's have had many chances to better protect our resources in this province and have failed to do so. As you would say; the Conservatives tend be bankrupt in that area as their prior track record indicates so I wouldn't put anything past them frankly.

If a Conservative MP or an Independent MP, or even an NDP MP were pushing a similar bill to this one I would have the exact same reaction so why even bother mentioning which side of the political spectrum they're on? Even though your post was rather...excitable.. I'm saying let's try not to forget that MPs in general, not just liberal ones, don't really have our best interests in mind.