PDA

View Full Version : crawling valley monster

bucktaker
02-22-2009, 06:37 PM
was out a crawling valley for the derby . the winner was a monster 6 1/2 pds, Congrats. (thought there was bigger fish in that lake) great time fished alone, got stuck, got flat tire, tire bolts ceased on, wheres the next derby can't wait lol

cujo1969
02-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Was out there too i got 1 fish in the 2 days. Lotsa fish cops around checking things out. You would think that many people someone get a 10lber. Was fun time good weather.

CountryRoadz
02-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Seems like the 4-6lb range is the most common. When a pike under 10 pounds wins a derby ya gotta wonder if there are any big ones in there.

We stopped by Sunday for the day (Not Entered) and pulled up 5 pike and lost a few. Biggest was 4.5 lbs.

Side Story:
My buddies kids (15yrs & 18yrs) were excited to go fishing Sunday knowing this might be our last time out and for the past 6 weeks we have had great success at Crawling Valley. We left Calgary at 6:30am. With the Fishing Derby on we decided to try the North end and approach the lake based on directions posted on this forum. We arrived at 8:00am and were fishing my truck (4x4) out of a snow drift at 8:05am. After some digging and and spinning it was 9:00am and we headed back to the campground to see if there was an area to fish. Luckily our regular spot was free so we set up. We started punching holes with a hand auger and the blades were so dull we barely scratched the surface. We werent there for the Derby just another day of fishing with the boys. One of the kids asked some folks not far away if we could borrow their power auger. After an interesting and frustrating morning we punched 6 quick holes and were fishing by 10:00am.

We have had some memorable times over the last six weeks from a fish taking a rod down the hole, stepping in and down a hole, getting stuck twice in snow drifts, fishing outside at -27, two fish on at the same time (different rods) and midnight burbot.

The one thing that will be remembered are the people that helped us out with their power auger and turned some frowns into smiles. If by chance you are on this forum know that you have helped make some boys very happy - thanks again.

Nice to see there are still some good sports out there.

To everyone that has helped out someone along the way.

THANK YOU

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Seems like the 4-6lb range is the most common. When a pike under 10 pounds wins a derby ya gotta wonder if there are any big ones in there.

We stopped by Sunday for the day (Not Entered) and pulled up 5 pike and lost a few. Biggest was 4.5 lbs.

We were fishing on the east side by the islands. Our had auger was dull and some folks helped us out with their power auger. If by chance you are on this forum - thanks again. Nice to see there are still some good sports out there.

Its nice to hear. stories like that. I remember a time or two , had people help me out , and an older gentlemen told me to one day when I was in a position to help to do so , and those are words I live by . Always do my best to help out whoever.

Savage270
02-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Last time I helped someone out (2 weeks ago), it turned out to be the same fella I had helped a month earlier. First time he was stuck, second time his battery was dead. He ended up having the Slovakia luge team with him the last time. They were pretty excited to see someone, they had a race that afternoon.

As for the fishing this weekend, it was great!! I caught and released over 10 pike on Saturday alone. Lots of hits. Sunday was slower but still got 6 on top of the ice.

I talked to the warden on Saturday and he had said the fishing was slow and the biggest fish so far was 6 lbs. I was diving after one of my rigs going down the hole as he pulled up. I got it at the bottom of the hole and he got a good laugh.:lol:

bucktaker
02-23-2009, 05:48 PM
lucky that a nice guy in a jeep pulled me out of the snow drift. Funny part was it happened at 800am came to help at 1100am said they thought some thing was wrong because who would be fishing there:wave: i was stuck drilled holes and improvised. Caught a small pike. Then as i looked across the lake to the weight in station. Thought to myself omg thats a long walk if it was any bigger lol

CountryRoadz
03-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Just wondering if anyone had pulled anything over 10 lbs out of Crawling Valley. We fished the last 6 weeks at the south end. All Pike and Burbot and best was 5 lbs. Anyone fish the North?

cujo1969
03-01-2009, 10:24 PM
We pulled out a 18lber few yrs ago

jeprli
03-02-2009, 08:15 AM
I've had plenty of 20lb aproaching 30lb, and got them right there by the campsite and dam. Cold evenings in summer will bring out the big mammas. And of course a huge bait will help, a big swimbait to be correct.