PDA

View Full Version : Merc 150 4 stroke troll speed?

SamSteele
03-11-2016, 09:54 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a Lund 1850 Impact Sport XS with a Merc 150 4 stroke on it. I put a deposit down on it at a local boat show today. Im wondering what the slowest troll speed is for this boat/motor combo? The sales guy said 1 mph which I think is BS. Thinking 2 mph is more realistic?

Any experience/ input?

SS

Rainbow_boats
03-11-2016, 10:19 PM
2-3 mph is the answer. It definitely won't go as low as 1mph. If you bought it with smartcraft you should get to 650rpm and lock in around 2.5mph. If you didn't purchase smartcraft you should see about 1000rpm and 4mph.

SamSteele
03-11-2016, 10:49 PM
No smartcraft gauges. It does have a MInnKota PD 70# 24 V electric on it. Are these realistic to use for trolling any amount of time? Looking to troll about 1-1.5 mph.

A kicker would be the obvious answer but the budget is already stretched.

SS

Yankeejane
03-12-2016, 12:22 AM
Minnkota 70pd is an awesome trolling motor. Here is a link to some really awesome info on calculating trolling times etc.

https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs/selection/86933703-trolling-motor-thrust-guide

I'm guessing your boat will be around 3000 lbs completely loaded on the high end.

Rainbow_boats
03-12-2016, 12:49 AM
Absolutely the Minnkota 70PD is a very good trolling motor. You will love how quiet it is, the control is great, it is reliable, and much more. That trolling motor is an upgrade worth having for sure.

JD848
03-12-2016, 02:06 AM
B S is right ,if your trolling into the wind maybe one mile and hour or less,but 2 to 3 is more like it,a 40 fourstroke gets 2 to 3 on a boat 60 percent less weight and a more narrow transom,get some wave wackers for it ,worth every cent,that 2 to 3 is trolling backwards,forward up to 3 for sure.Nice outfit you will be happy.

ontario gunner
03-12-2016, 03:37 AM
I've got a pd70 an an impact 1775 I can troll for 5-6 hours on Erie with it, with interstate 27 batteries, pulling .8-1.4 mph(I'll verify that today,, pulling big husky jerks and looking for HOGG eyes).

For piece of mind get a kicker motor,, it absolutely sucks when the main motor doesn't want too start and your a few miles from the launch.

I wouldn't be using the big motor for trolling,, no reason too put excess hours on that motor.

TROLLER
03-12-2016, 08:24 AM
I have a 40 on my 14 Crestliner and with the computer control the lowest I can get it down to is a out 1.5 so even then a front troller is best for bottom bouncing walleye.

That 70 will work just fine, but eventually you should look into a kicker.

SamSteele
03-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys. I'm excited about the boat. If I had the choice I probably would have gone with Yamaha but it wasn't an option without paying significantly more or driving to a dealer that wasn't local.

SS

old dog
03-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Some guys use drift stocks to slow the boat down as well.

SamSteele
03-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Recommendations for a prop on this motor? Options I know of are the Black Max, Enertia, and Tempest.

We will be doing a mix of fishing and pulling kids on tubes, skis, etc.

SS

dale7637
03-13-2016, 09:17 AM
I am running a merc 115 on a 1875 rebel. No wind, I can get down to about 1.7mph.
I have a minn kota terrova 80lb? on the bow, with 2 group 31 batteries. I can see 7-8 hrs of steady trolling before I need a charge,
As far as props go, I am running a merc stainless on mine, happier than a clam.

TROLLER
03-13-2016, 10:27 AM
Recommendations for a prop on this motor? Options I know of are the Black Max, Enertia, and Tempest.

SS

Contact Stu at Propmasters in Airdrie he will let you know exactly the right prop for what you want to do.

Great guy and will not rip you off.

Yankeejane
03-13-2016, 02:09 PM

SS

I see a lot with a 19 pitch tempest What prop came on the boat?

Ask the dealer you're buying from if they offer discounted props to people who purchased boats from them.

A lot of dealerships have went away from "demo" props because people were abusing it. Which sucks. Check to see if they will offer it since you bought your boat from them. Try out a 19 pitch Enertia, 19 pitch tempest.

The vengeance is basically a stainless steel version of the black max (3 blade alum) it's gonna be the cheapest but it's just an overall good performer.

Hopefully you bought your boat from an actual marine dealership and not a hybrid marine/rv/quad/sled dealer I find they don't offer much in the way of inventory, or knowledge on boats. Sure they may be good at quads/sleds/rvs but lacking in marine. Just my 2 cents.

This image lists the tempest.. Those numbers are at sea level under perfect conditions.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j191/Juliannaluke/forums/1850impactprop_zps4rhlakjv.png (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Juliannaluke/media/forums/1850impactprop_zps4rhlakjv.png.html)

SamSteele
03-13-2016, 03:15 PM
There was no prop on the boat at the show. My understanding is that I get to pick from the three I listed.

And yes, it is a marine dealer.

Angler2
03-14-2016, 01:39 PM
I have a 17' Crestliner with a 125 and slowest I can troll in calm water is about 2.5 MPH. Use my electric a lot (Minn Kota auto pilot) but after two years broke down and bought a 9.9 kicker and now I can troll in most any condition at speed that I choose. Wouldn't be without a kicker now!

EZM
03-14-2016, 05:45 PM
It's impossible to determine trolling speed without knowing the RPM and the prop pitch. A "moderate" pitch prop (something in the middle of the range) - running at a standard idle (without a smartcraft module) is likely to give you something around 3 mph.

The best thing to do, if the plan is to use your main motor for trolling, is to get the lowest pitch possible and go from there. At that point you might drop 1 mph or so, but you are unlikely to achieve anything under 2 mph in calm water.

Keep in mind your top speed will likely drop by about 4-5mph for that same lower pitched prop (assuming the difference from a moderate to low pitch and a cruising speed of about 40-44 mph with the standard prop).

SamSteele
03-14-2016, 10:00 PM
I added the Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker to the package today. May as well do it right!