PDA

View Full Version : Bow river Browns

Spoonchucker
03-12-2016, 01:32 AM
A couple nice Bow River Browns. 6lb female and 7lb male. Brontosaurus girth.

Spoonchucker
03-12-2016, 01:35 AM
The female.

Seems like the fish are getting bigger and bigger post flood. Especially the rainbows. Pre-flood a bigger rainbow was 21", not terribly deep or thick. Now they push 24", deep bodied and thick slabs. Good times.

azn_rice_man
03-12-2016, 05:47 AM
What were you using? Where were you fishing?

jeprli
03-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Nice fish, horrible pictures.

What is the point of treble hooks in c&r water?

Spoonchucker
03-12-2016, 01:58 PM
What were you using? Where were you fishing?

In town. Giant trebles.

Spoonchucker
03-12-2016, 01:59 PM

The point?

Actually it's 3 points or 6 points...depending.

Andy44
03-12-2016, 02:15 PM
The point?

Actually it's 3 points or 6 points...depending.

There's no need to be offended by the comments here. Those are all very nice fish! All we're trying to tell you is as a catch and release area you should treat the fish more gently (not letting them flop on rocks) and try and avoid using trebles since they're very hard to remove if the fish swallows them deeply. No one's trying to be a jerk here, we're just trying to tell you that your methods are a little harsh on the fish and could result in the fish dying after you release them.

diamonddave
03-12-2016, 02:31 PM
nice fish.......... that's all I got

Troutbotherer
03-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Nice fish!! I wish Calgary wasn't a 3hr drive.

Spoonchucker
03-12-2016, 02:42 PM
There's no need to be offended by the comments here. Those are all very nice fish! All we're trying to tell you is as a catch and release area you should treat the fish more gently (not letting them flop on rocks) and try and avoid using trebles since they're very hard to remove if the fish swallows them deeply. No one's trying to be a jerk here, we're just trying to tell you that your methods are a little harsh on the fish and could result in the fish dying after you release them.

Both of those fish were hooked perfectly in the upper mandible. No damage whatsoever. The rocks were wet first and the fish were not flopping.

The take home is not to make assumptions about the fish or the fisherman and if you don't like the gov's regulations, well, you know exactly where to express your concerns.

Spoonchucker
03-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Nice fish!! I wish Calgary wasn't a 3hr drive.

There's bigger ones in the red deer and old man. Probably in the NSR too.

Asillywalrus
03-12-2016, 06:14 PM
There's bigger ones in the red deer and old man. Probably in the NSR too.

I've never heard of any trout in the NSR.

schmedlap
03-12-2016, 06:32 PM
Of course there are lots of trout of various varieties in the NSR upstream of the Alder Flats/Drayton area. Assume you are talking about the river downstream of that (?), where the fish population transitions to mostly pike/walleye/burb/goldeye and the like - the warmer water part. Historically there were bull trout in the river in the Edmonton area. Haven't heard of any being caught in very many years. A friend caught a (very skinny) 21" brown in the Genesee area about 10 years back while targeting walleye.

upongrassy
03-12-2016, 08:50 PM
Two dandys way to go!

Asillywalrus
03-12-2016, 09:30 PM
Of course there are lots of trout of various varieties in the NSR upstream of the Alder Flats/Drayton area. Assume you are talking about the river downstream of that (?), where the fish population transitions to mostly pike/walleye/burb/goldeye and the like - the warmer water part. Historically there were bull trout in the river in the Edmonton area. Haven't heard of any being caught in very many years. A friend caught a (very skinny) 21" brown in the Genesee area about 10 years back while targeting walleye.

Interesting, I chose my words carefully when saying I had never heard of any. I didn't know there were trout around Alder Flats however. I figured trout may be possible upstream or something. Why does it not say their are trout in the regs? Or does it say it and maybe i've never noticed?

tight line
03-12-2016, 09:39 PM

Not a one...😶

AdverseCity
03-12-2016, 10:12 PM
Well done, I've spent hours tossing those lures in the Bow with absolutely nothing to show for it. Apparently I need to work on improving my river fishing.

What are the fish doing on the rocks like that? Especially for a c & r area?

Your hearts are in the right place but your comments could use some work, they're likely to be received better without the condescending tone. Maybe try starting off with "Congrats on some nice fish" and then nicely suggesting different hooks or method of photographing fish. If you truly care about protecting the fishery you should ensure your suggestions have the best possible chance of becoming his new fishing methods, annoying him won't change anything.

Spoonchucker
03-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Also, what makes you guys think these fish were released? Or that they're from a C&R area?

Assumptions are funny that way.

SNAPFisher
03-13-2016, 08:10 AM
The third sticky is to ensure that self righteous mouth pieces that never post pics and launch themselves into assumptions don't negatively affect the forum and cause people to stop posting pictures due to the endless critical, negative, and obnoxious commentary.

Why don't you post a few pics for us Jason?

:cheers:

Nicely said. Nice fish too :)
I'm looking forwards to chucking some flies there soon and hope for some tanks like that.

Spoon,
Unfortunately there is an entire forum that is like this. The mods would have likely pulled your pictures already. Some of that forums members are here as well so I understand why they jumped on this. Good news is that this is not that place. It is too bad that some jump to the wrong conclusion on a simple picture post. Perspective is a great thing...but not shared very often.

Hope to see some more of your fishing trips on here.

burbotman
03-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Pair of beauty Browns. Interesting your observations on girth a increasing post food, anyone have any theories, more nutrients in the river feeding the food web?

Thank you for sharing!!!

squidward
03-13-2016, 09:20 AM
I'm really starting to hate the Internet forums. I find a lot of irony in the people chastising for poor handling and treatment on this thread. Go join pita. After all you are throwing out imitation food and piercing the skin of a fish and then pulling it in to the point of utter exaustion, just for fun. If you are going to give this guy the gears about 2 photos of hogs he caught and just wanted to share, you may as well take a good look at what you are doing. I'm sure anyone on here is a conservationist at heart. I know for myself that I want my daughter to have the same fishing opportunities I have. I am sure those fish swam away happily. Unless you were standing there with the net, maybe back off a bit. These photos do not paint a complete picture. You're assumptions however, do paint a complete picture of you.

Jason.seaward
03-13-2016, 09:57 AM
People need to grow a backbone if they cannot handle others thoughts on a forum. We don't need mods to act as people's moms.

jeprli
03-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Problem here is that OP fails to handle fish properly in a c&r water. More importance has been given to taking pictures than fish handling. Others see these threads and follow through with same attitude.
This same "look at me I catch fish on rocks" attitude than takes over foothills during open season. Trout are delicate fish and need a little extra attention. Mountain streams are ice cold an during heat of the summer it is crucial to keep trout in water and handling to minimum.

Btw I fished lures for á long time, and know very well what treble hooks do to a trout, and how difficult it is to remove them from trout jaws.

This same fish handling misconduct exists with fly fisherman as well not just lure fisherman. But mainly it's the crowd who need social support in their everyday life decision making.

crownb
03-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Nice fish congrats man!!! Sounds like some guys want zero fishing opportunities on c&r waters. Geez guys, every fish that is caught goes under stress, maybe we shouldn't be allowed to fish anywhere, and driving to these waters you might of scared a deer out of the ditch eating clover, what about her stress.
The op put up some pics of some beautiful fish, if you don't like it don't comment, or how about if you feel the need even though you were not there to see what actually happened, then start a thread with fish handling tips.
Everybody needs to relax.
Again beauty pics!!!

goldscud
03-13-2016, 02:19 PM
Those are awesome brown trout.
Fishing the Bow in town is great, eating ones over 35cm not so much.

Quote: "Also, what makes you guys think these fish were released? Or that they're from a C&R area"

Play nice folks...best to offer the next angler an equal chance of catching similar exceptional fish.
I love seeing fish pictures. I also know it is better if we leave them in the water
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishmonger/P1020931_zpsdurfppv5.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/fishmonger/media/P1020931_zpsdurfppv5.jpg.html)

Deep
03-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the motivational pix "Chucker" and "Scud"....ice, ice be gone I gotta troll for bows.

kc_okotoks
03-13-2016, 02:45 PM
nice trout..

Pixel Shooter
03-13-2016, 10:31 PM
Back on track folks :thinking-006:

Barnes19
03-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Nice fish! Wouldn't mind scratching that species off the list.

Foshizzle13
03-15-2016, 02:32 PM
thanks goldscud, this is a great point and the way these C&R fish should be treated. Back to the OP, thanks for posting, those are gorgeous fish.