PDA

View Full Version : Bad News for Jackfish Lake Dead??

Red Neck
03-14-2016, 11:21 AM
A group of us were out at Jackfish lake west of Stony Plain on Sunday and was skunked :mad0100: Now that happens. BUT what we saw on camra was the bottom of the lake all around island and we stoped near boat launch to see if it was the same and it was:sign0161: bottom was litered with dead fish yup??
we saw 100's all of the fish we did see were all small but all speciecs? Ive been fishing there off and on for 40 years now and I cant beleve what we saw. Not lookn good:(:(:(
Red Neck Out
:scared0018:

1bowhunter12
03-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Yah that sounds about right.. Another one bites the dust

FlyTheory
03-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Brutal. I wonder why though

1bluZebec
03-14-2016, 11:18 PM
Really?? Holy ****e[emoji21] I was there about a month ago and never had much luck other than one pike but to know it's winter killed is surprising to say the least

Red Neck
03-15-2016, 09:49 AM
:thinking-006: I do not have a good answer why any of our lakes winter killed this year as there was lots of light getting to the bottom and a relitivly short
'winter"? I just hope its not an indacator of what may be going on else were?
Red Neck Out

cube
03-16-2016, 09:05 AM
:thinking-006: I do not have a good answer why any of our lakes winter killed this year as there was lots of light getting to the bottom and a relitivly short
'winter"? I just hope its not an indacator of what may be going on else were?
Red Neck Out

Actually allot of lakes iced over quite early. The ice never got thick enough to fish because of the snow insulating the ice early on, so ice fishing may not have started early but that can still leave small shallow lakes in jeopardy. It also does not take much snow to effectively stop any meaningful photosynthesis.

Lefty-Canuck
03-16-2016, 09:28 AM
They can also winter kill due to being hypereutrophic. Too much nutrient is a bad thing.

LC

SNAPFisher
03-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the update. That sucks indeed.

Gsxrgrizz
03-16-2016, 11:24 AM
Not good at all.....we have a cabin there and my 6yr old son was REALLY looking forward to fishing for the first time this year!!!!

Anyone know what may or may not be done about it? I wonder if it is related to the water quality...had some blue algae last summer

Brandonkop
03-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Not good at all.....we have a cabin there and my 6yr old son was REALLY looking forward to fishing for the first time this year!!!!

Anyone know what may or may not be done about it? I wonder if it is related to the water quality...had some blue algae last summer

If it has winter killed there is nothing to be done. Hopefully not a complete winter kill because they don't stock these lakes. Population is left to rebound on its own.

FlyTheory
03-16-2016, 06:50 PM
If it has winter killed there is nothing to be done. Hopefully not a complete winter kill because they don't stock these lakes. Population is left to rebound on its own.

Maybe they'll use some of the walleye and pike from Wabamun to restock

EZM
03-16-2016, 06:56 PM
Maybe they'll use some of the walleye and pike from Wabamun to restock

Agreed - they can take 4.9 million of the 5 million walleye right out of Wab as far as I'm concerned.

Too bad about Jackish ....... it's always bad news to hear a lake has winter killed.

Dom4
03-16-2016, 06:57 PM
This is terrible to hear when i was there earlier in the year we saw lots of fish but they werent biting on anything so maybe that was an indicator on what was coming.

Red Neck
03-17-2016, 11:37 AM
We never saw any big fish on the bottom and as stated earlier winter kill is never 100% I wish we would have gone out to deep water and took a look down there but we never did:sign0161: Lets hope its healthy enough to recover quickly:)
Red Neck Out

Gsxrgrizz
03-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Any updates on this??? I'm now at my condo in Mexico and am having trouble getting any word on if this now may be a dead lake.....fingers crossed its not. If it was a complete winter kill, what does this mean? Will it eventually come back, will the re-populate it or will it be left as a dead lake?

Cheers

Gsxrgrizz
03-23-2016, 03:14 PM
Oops, double tap!!!

I was reading on another forum they found "blue oil film"......what the eff is that???

Isopod
03-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Sounds like that bluish rainbow-like sheen you get when oil or gas is spilled into water, but that's just a guess.

Gsxrgrizz
03-24-2016, 07:28 AM
Sounds like that bluish rainbow-like sheen you get when oil or gas is spilled into water, but that's just a guess.

They were talking about finding it under the ice in the holes they were drilling so it can't be gas. I'm hoping it's not an indication of blue algae again

skidderman
03-24-2016, 08:12 AM
Is it possible the long term low water level is causing it? i.e. stagnant water?

Gsxrgrizz
03-24-2016, 08:17 AM
Is it possible the long term low water level is causing it? i.e. stagnant water?

That's what I was wondering.....I am curious if the spring that feeds Jackfish needs to be bolstered to increase the amount of water coming in. Then we need to take out the reeds that are blocking that back lake to the south and re-connect the two like they were 20 years ago. To finish off, create an outlet that routes either back to the spring or to another river in an attempt to create a current that continually flushes water through the lake and increases water levels.

Red Neck
03-24-2016, 09:23 AM
:bad_boys_20: I like what your saying and you have the right answer.I water skied through that channel regullarly up untill the early 80's. your plan would indead help the lake.Just one problem "Alberta Enviroment"
Hey frogs got to live some where:angry3:
All kiding aside,all of the small "pot hole" lakes are really in trouble:sign0085::sign0085:
Red Neck Out

Gsxrgrizz
03-24-2016, 09:27 AM
Hey frogs got to live some where:angry3:

Agreed but if the lake dies the there really will be no place for the frogs!!!!

Red Neck
03-24-2016, 09:54 AM
I agree but the real root of most of the lakes isues is WATER? we need Billions of gallons? I road my bike to Yellowknife and saw Great Slave Lake water level down over 2 feet :angry3: I would love to see management but we really need the water? Jack fish has always relied on the springs I grew up on it and it makes me sad every time I go back. But it will bounce back it has before just takes time.
Red Neck Out

Isopod
03-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Jackfish Lake, A.D. 2100...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/rollingstone/2015/Oct815DryMiquelonLkTwo2f.jpg

Gsxrgrizz
04-22-2016, 01:29 PM
If anyone is interested, here is the response I received from the Jackfish Management Association.......

We met with Fish and Wildlife at the lake and it will be a few more months before they are better able to assess the extent of the fish kill, as it is difficult to determine how many fish are still at the bottom vs how many have wash up on shore.

They said: · Due to low oxygen levels there has been a substantial kill of fish this winter in Jackfish Lake. Although mostly walleye (pickerel), yellow perch and northern pike have been found dead. · Low oxygen is caused by the decomposition of plants and algae. This is a cumulative effects problem caused by low lake levels, naturally high phosphorus levels, human caused enrichment and sedimentation. · Alberta Fisheries will be assessing the lake in May 2016 to determine fish survival and appropriate management actions

cube
04-22-2016, 02:22 PM
If anyone is interested, here is the response I received from the Jackfish Management Association.......

We met with Fish and Wildlife at the lake and it will be a few more months before they are better able to assess the extent of the fish kill, as it is difficult to determine how many fish are still at the bottom vs how many have wash up on shore.

They said: · Due to low oxygen levels there has been a substantial kill of fish this winter in Jackfish Lake. Although mostly walleye (pickerel), yellow perch and northern pike have been found dead. · Low oxygen is caused by the decomposition of plants and algae. This is a cumulative effects problem caused by low lake levels, naturally high phosphorus levels, human caused enrichment and sedimentation. · Alberta Fisheries will be assessing the lake in May 2016 to determine fish survival and appropriate management actions

Thanks for posting that. Probably means 20 years for recovery if they do not restock it :(

Deo101
04-22-2016, 05:19 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/hundreds-of-dead-fish-surface-in-alberta-lake-1.3547422

Did they by chance switch to this diffuser type aeration there this winter?

Gsxrgrizz
04-22-2016, 08:52 PM
Not sure but I don't think so

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

fluxcore
04-22-2016, 09:09 PM
I talked to my buddy on Tuesday after he spent the weekend out there in his family cabin and he said it's really really bad. Feel bad for everyone that uses the lake as their main hole to fish, could take years for it to rebound but it will.

Ultimate Predator
04-23-2016, 04:47 AM
Another lake with 0 limit and then all the fish are dead great management as usual

Kim473
04-23-2016, 06:12 AM
And all they will stock is trout like they have been doing lately. Our fish management team sucks !

Gsxrgrizz
05-15-2016, 08:42 AM
I heard rumour that they are talking about a temporary water diversion to replenish the lake back to where it should be. Maybe they will be re-joining Jackfish with that "hidden" lake to the south again like it used to be 20 years ago. Not too sure where else they would be able to divert from....does anyone know where the spring(s) that feed Jackfish are? My FIL used to know but can't remember

Also, they are talking a cosmetic fertilizer ban and subsidizing septic field upgrades in an attempt to get rid of them which I completely agree with.

jungleboy
05-15-2016, 05:13 PM
What Parkland county has allowed to happen to that lake is criminal in my opinion. We used to fish there in the 80s and catch some big pike .my son caught an 8lb walleye in that lake late 90s. Now it is houses on every foot of shoreline including the islands . They basically made it into a semi private lake resort that only lot owners can access . It is wall to wall wake boats and jet skis .I tried fishing in there last summer and couldn't get a moments peace from skiers and speed demons. Pizzez me off ,I live 2 miles from that lake but it's not worth the effort to try and go there anymore . On top of the fact that all the "cabin" owners tear out most of the shoreline vegitation so they can pretend they are on the coast ,that lake is not big enough to accommodate the number of big boats that are on there . The should put a Hp limit of under 10 and see how fast the lots go up for sale

Moults
06-12-2016, 12:37 AM
I was out trolling around the other day and had a small pike on the line, after only 10 minutes or so. So that's a small indication of some fish survival at least. Didn't fish for long, and I'm assuming I didn't hook into the only pike left in the lake 😀. Too bad though, never good when a lake winter kills when we have so few of them

Gsxrgrizz
06-12-2016, 12:56 AM
I heard it was because of the new aeration program the Alberta NDP "government" put in place...this is one of those situations where I will keep the rest to myself as none of it will be constructive from this point on.

I hope they are proud of the job they are doing so far!!!

crownb
06-12-2016, 08:59 AM
I heard it was because of the new aeration program the Alberta NDP "government" put in place...this is one of those situations where I will keep the rest to myself as none of it will be constructive from this point on.

Wrong, this lake was not aerated. It's to bad, it was a good lake in the summer.

Talking moose
06-12-2016, 09:06 AM

This is not a trout pond.

Gsxrgrizz
06-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Wrong, this lake was not aerated. It's to bad, it was a good lake in the summer.

If you Google it, there are several articles that discuss the lakes that experienced winter kill this year due to the new aeration program. One of the first is from Global news where Jackfish Lake is mentioned at the bottom.

They also go on to say all the effected lakes will be re-stocked with trout but I suspect it will be several years before the lake recovers to where it was.

jungleboy
06-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Jackfish lake was never a trout lake ,and always was full of Pike and walleye and perch Some very big Walleye and Pike. Now it's just full of very large wake boats it seems. I doubt it was ever aerated as it is a fairly deep lake as well. The last thing we need is another fake trout lake . But I wouldn't put it past them to stock it with trout.

Talking moose
06-12-2016, 10:20 AM
If you Google it, there are several articles that discuss the lakes that experienced winter kill this year due to the new aeration program. One of the first is from Global news where Jackfish Lake is mentioned at the bottom.

They also go on to say all the effected lakes will be re-stocked with trout but I suspect it will be several years before the lake recovers to where it was.

Probably a few jack fish lakes in Alberta. My guess.

crownb
06-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Probably a few jack fish lakes in Alberta. My guess.

Yup

Kurt505
06-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Jack fish lake that was aerated is a trout lake east of Two Hills, south of St Paul.

Sooner
06-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Jack fish lake that was aerated is a trout lake east of Two Hills, south of St Paul.

Is that the lake nestled in farm fields? Campground on the N/S? Used to hold some whopper trout 15 + yrs ago.

waterninja
06-12-2016, 04:44 PM

The NDP govt. had nothing to do with what you call "the new aeration program", and the jackson lake your talking about is not the one the OP is talking about.

Gsxrgrizz
06-12-2016, 05:08 PM
The NDP govt. had nothing to do with what you call "the new aeration program", and the jackson lake your talking about is not the one the OP is talking about.

Actually it's JackFISH lake not Jackson lake and whether or not the JackFISH lake I or the OP was referring to was in fact one of the lakes officially effected is kind of a moot point when considering your post. In the end, the NDP are 100% responsible for revamping the aeration program in order to free themselves of any legal accountability should someone fall through the ice, which has NEVER HAPPENED, when using a surface aerator.....the new aeration program I am referring to is what lead to major fish kills all over Alberta.

As for the Jackfish lake I, and the OP was referring to, in Parkland County, it too experienced a winter kill that was determined by Alberta Fisheries to be due to lack of oxygen over the winter.

RavYak
06-12-2016, 06:24 PM

Wrong as I will clarify below.

Not applicable as I will clarify below.

Actually it's JackFISH lake not Jackson lake and whether or not the JackFISH lake I or the OP was referring to was in fact one of the lakes officially effected is kind of a moot point when considering your post. In the end, the NDP are 100% responsible for revamping the aeration program in order to free themselves of any legal accountability should someone fall through the ice, which has NEVER HAPPENED, when using a surface aerator.....the new aeration program I am referring to is what lead to major fish kills all over Alberta.

As for the Jackfish lake I, and the OP was referring to, in Parkland County, it too experienced a winter kill that was determined by Alberta Fisheries to be due to lack of oxygen over the winter.

Buddy get your facts straight...

First off there are multiple Jackfish lakes in Alberta including a trout stocked lake that he was referring to... That doesn't matter though as this thread is clearly about the one in Parkland County which has nothing to do with trout.

Your first post stated the die off at this lake was due to the aeration issue which is not true as another member pointed out. Jackfish Lake was never aerated period end of story.

But since you couldn't let it go lets prove how you are wrong about the NDP too...

Aeration is done by a 3rd party, the Alberta Conservation Association (ACA), and they are the ones that decided to change the aeration because they don't have the funds etc to take the responsibility of the legality if something were to happen due to this aeration. The changes had nothing to do with the NDP... In fact the NDP government actually worked to put in place an agreement that allowed some of the lakes in the NW to remain aerated using the previous means in order to stop them from winter killing. They did this by shifting the responsibility of the aeration over to the government instead of leaving it on the ACA(at least this is how I understood it) and they left the surface aerators in place and fenced them off once the lakes froze.

Get your facts straight before you start telling other members they are wrong...

Gsxrgrizz
06-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Who do you think contracted the ACA? All the news articles also specifically stated that the ACA AND the GOVERNMENT SHARED the responsibility for the program. If I contract a 3rd party of perform work on my behalf and they mess it up, I am still responsible for the damages.....

Either way, no point in replying as I am done....you have you're opinion and I have mine. We are both entitled to it regardless of how each of us feels the other is completely wrong

RavYak
06-12-2016, 07:03 PM
Who do you think contracted the ACA? All the news articles also specifically stated that the ACA AND the GOVERNMENT SHARED the responsibility for the program. If I contract a 3rd party of perform work on my behalf and they mess it up, I am still responsible for the damages.....

Either way, no point in replying as I am done....you have you're opinion and I have mine. We are both entitled to it regardless of how each of us feels the other is completely wrong

ACA was contracted FAR before the NDP ever got into power... They have been doing this for a long time now...

These aren't opinions btw, they are facts... The NDP had nothing to do with ACA's decision to change their aeration techniques. In fact if the rumblings I have heard is true then if/when the ACA goes back to using the old surface aeration equipment it will be because of the current government... I haven't seen anything concrete that this is happening for sure but if it does I guess you will have to sing another tune lol...

And for the record I am no way shape or form and NDP supporter and I want them out of power but in this case you are wrong and they aren't the cause of this particular issue...

Kurt505
06-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Is that the lake nestled in farm fields? Campground on the N/S? Used to hold some whopper trout 15 + yrs ago.

Ya, I think that's the place. Just south off 45.

jeffrey929
06-13-2016, 05:40 AM
If you look at the Fishin Holes fishing report it lists this Jackfish Lake as an aerated lake

waterninja
06-13-2016, 09:48 PM

About the only thing you got right so far on this thread Gsx, is that I mis-spelt Jackfish lake.
Why I put Jackson is beyond me, though my grandson's name is Jackson on so perhaps my sub concsious took over.
Anyways, the NDP govt. had nothing to do with why the aerators were turned off at a lot of trout ponds. With all the threads and other info. that is out there, I'm surprised that you are clinging to this notion. Just face the fact that you were wrong, both about why aerators were turned off, and the fact that you were talking about the wrong lake. No big deal.
Normally it would have been a safe bet to blame the NDP, but this time it was not their doing. Your also wrong about no-one falling through near an aerator. It happened at Salters a couple years ago, but the old fellow was pulled to safety, and no legal action was pursued. Your starting to look silly by continuing to argue your case. Facts are all against you.

SNAPFisher
06-14-2016, 06:43 PM

LOL! And if it was printed in a paper it can't be wrong....they always get it right. :sHa_sarcasticlol: I don't know what you are talking about on this thread. You have derailed yourself not that you started from a good point anyways.