PDA

View Full Version : Need a lil help!

camouflaged tater
03-14-2016, 07:41 PM
So I bought a Vexilar FLX-28 a couple weeks ago, had a couple chances to take it out and test it. I have noticed when fishing shallow water, between 7-10 feet, my lure seems to appear as a big red mark. I will be using the smallest lure and it still appears big. I know you're supposed to get it so that you're lure shows up as a thin green line, but with my gain turned all the way down and even on low power mode it just appears big. Am I doing something wrong? Any tips? Very much appreciated.

Brandonkop
03-14-2016, 07:46 PM
Use a smaller lure maybe. You're in shallower water so the signal is stronger. Maybe some guys with vex will have better input.

camouflaged tater
03-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Use a smaller lure maybe. You're in shallower water so the signal is stronger. Maybe some guys with vex will have better input.

I use a tiny 1/16oz tungsten jig for perch and that still shows up pretty big. Been looking for stuff on the Internet for a few days and can't seem to find much help. I'm thinking maybe it's just because it's such a sensitive transducer and like you say, being in shallow water, everything gets picked up so well.

fishdude17
03-14-2016, 08:06 PM
I own a Vexliar FL-20, not the FL-28 bit their principles of operation are the same. What kind of transducer do you have? The more narrow the cone, eg. 9° transducer, would possibly cause the issue you are having. Mine has a 12° transducer and don't have any issues...until deeper water of 30ft and deeper, where I have to turn the gain up quite alwaysto see my lure (the opposite problem you are having). This could be corrected by using a transducer with a more narrow cone such as 9°. What also will effect how your lure shows up is the type of lure you are using. Lures that sit in the water horizontally will show up larger than ones that hang vertically as there is more surface area on the lure to bounce back signals. If you have the dual beam transducer, try both beams to see if there is any difference between the two. Doesn't sound to me like there is a problem with your Vex. Lots of videos online from Vexlilar explaining the operation of their flashers and also some good ones on transducer operation, check them out!

Hope this helps you out a little bit! :)

camouflaged tater
03-14-2016, 08:12 PM
I own a Vexliar FL-20, not the FL-28 bit their principles of operation are the same. What kind of transducer do you have? The more narrow the cone, eg. 9° transducer, would possibly cause the issue you are having. Mine has a 12° transducer and don't have any issues...until deeper water of 30ft and deeper, where I have to turn the gain up quite alwaysto see my lure (the opposite problem you are having). This could be corrected by using a transducer with a more narrow cone such as 9°. What also will effect how your lure shows up is the type of lure you are using. Lures that sit in the water horizontally will show up larger than ones that hang vertically as there is more surface area on the lure to bounce back signals. If you have the dual beam transducer, try both beams to see if there is any difference between the two. Doesn't sound to me like there is a problem with your Vex. Lots of videos online from Vexlilar explaining the operation of their flashers and also some good ones on transducer operation, check them out!

Hope this helps you out a little bit! :)

Thanks for the advice! My unit came with the proview transducer. Which from what I gather has a really sensitive 9 degree cone.

fishdude17
03-14-2016, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the advice! My unit came with the proview transducer. Which from what I gather has a really sensitive 9 degree cone.

The 9° will be super sensitive in shallow water, but will also cut out a lot of clutter such as weeds etc as opposed to a 12° or 20° cone. The Pro Ducer is on my list for next hard water season.

ROA
03-15-2016, 06:57 AM
That proview transducer is really powerfull. I don't have a fl28 so don't quote me on this but if putting it on low power isn't enough you can also put it on weed mode to cut power to the transducer an aditional 50%.

camouflaged tater
03-15-2016, 01:47 PM
That proview transducer is really powerfull. I don't have a fl28 so don't quote me on this but if putting it on low power isn't enough you can also put it on weed mode to cut power to the transducer an aditional 50%.

Like you said, I'm thinking it's just because it's such a powerful transducer. I think I'm gonna just have to get used to it and hopefully it eventually grows on me. It's definitely a little bit different setup than the standard transducers that other vexilars come with. Thanks for the help!

huntsfurfish
03-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Buy a suppression cable:

https://shop.vexilar.com/en/accessories/service-and-replacement-parts/suppression-cable-for-all-fl-series-s-140